Print Thread
Rate Thread
#54564 01/03/10 04:05 PM
B
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
B
What is involved in setting up a draw through turbo? Does it require a special turbo or will any unit of the right size work? a friend of mine wants me to help him set up a draw through, maybe maybe even a twin set up. his primary use is street, and wants a little HP, but I think mostly eye candy. He is thinking of 5 to 8 lb boost. Is there a web site that explains this setup? Any suggestions welcome, pro or con.

Been there, Done that, Hope to live long enough to do it again.
Big Bill
I.I.# 4698
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
Draw through turbos require a special seal for the fuel that goes through the turbo.

Pros' easyier to install,less plumbing.

Cons'cannot use an intercooler,cannot run a lot of boost,well,, for the most part;-)
Turbo lag.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/20/322/article/Turbos_And_Carburators.html
Buick Regal http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=4963546

Here is some good info & pics to make a more efficient larger turbo for a draw through
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/before-black-non-sfi-tech/274489-all-turbos-not-created-equal.html

http://www.smbaker.com/rail/monsterturbovw.html

What size engine is your friend going to build?

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
B
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
B
Hank
He is using a small block 250 Ford six with the integral head/intake.That is where I come in, the head will need modifcations to increase air flow and adapters will need to be built to make it all fit together. As I stated above he is only thinking 6 to 8 lb boost. The engine is in an open roadster and I think he is as much interested in eye candy as power.

Big Bill
I.I.# 4698
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Big Bill, im doing a log head for a guy right now, putting larger valves in will help a lot. The big problem is that the intake ports are concealed inside the log, so you have to be creative to get to them for porting. A dual carb conversion also helps out quite a bit.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
There is some good info here: http://fordsix.com/forum/

There is a Falcon 250 L 6 w/a turbo single 1 bbl or was it a 2bbl to one hole in the intake manifold IIRC,ran 11's.later they switched to the aftermarket aluminum head w/bolt on intake manifold,now runs 10's? light car 2600-2800 lbs or so
It is in one of my car mags,they had used a Toyota intercooler,stuck it in the fenderwell,were the airflow would be minimal,mostly they seemed to use,used parts ,low dollar set-up

So even though you cannot port or remove the intake manifold on those heads, it seems you can still force the air through to make some power.
Here is the guys car http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=42148

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
B
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
B
Plan is to mill off the top of the log and make an alum intake that will bolt/clamp to it. This will allow access to do some port work plus larger valves. That part seems fairly straight forward. What I am trying to figure out is what donor car would offer the best turbo and if it needs the seals changed to accept the fuel flow is that a matter of just changing seals or does the housing and shafts need to be machined. As I said above 5 to 8 pounds boost is all he is looking for. I think it is mostly eye candy, that is one reason he is thinking of two small turbos. This whole project is just in the planing stage trying to figure out what is needed and what the total cost will be. His other thought will be to do the head then make a three two setup using the little progressive Webers. It is a 2200 lb car with a built C-4 and a 3.70 ring & Pinion, runs decent now but a little more couldn't hurt.:)

Big Bill
I.I.# 4698
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
Seems like a lot of trouble to do that,(cutting/milling the top of the log),but if you want to do it,go for it.

I seen that Turbo Falcon run 11's on a standard log type integral 1 hole for the carb.

If you can force the air through that crappy flowing cylinder head & run good like that Falcon did & your friend only wants 6-8 psi,,,,,,,,,,,I really dont see the need to mill off the top of the log,but hey,do as your heart is content.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
B
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
B
If someone wants to spend their money to try something I am willing to help, one never knows what he might learn that will come in use another day. That is the same as the dyno time being spent on chevys that the guys are doing they will increase their knowledge of what helps and what didn't and how much it helps in a given application. This doesn't mean that they will know everything there is to know, it only means they will know more than when they started. One of the first things I learned about a flow bench was that a minor change of the head position on the table could make a major difference in the flow measurement. The gentleman that was teaching me how they worked explained that the major thing they showed was improvments that I had made and that they were a lousy way to compare heads with some else, unless you knew how they ran their bench. I have been playing with engines about 55 years and some day I hope to know a little bit.
If you want to make a small block ford six go classic inlines is now selling their after market alum heads at a reasonable price. and should be selling big block ford six heads by fall. They supposedly have released a proto type or two now to make sure they work as they should.
PS This project will also help me learn more about turbos.(I hope)

Big Bill
I.I.# 4698
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
I am sure what you would be doing will no doubt increase airflow.

My only reason I would not necessarily go that route is, 1 your friend only wants to use 6-8 psi,,the roadster will probably be lighter than the Falcon I mentioned earlier that ran hard already w/micellanious (SP) parts & the log type integral intake manifold.

Not sure if what your friend wants to have multiple inlet holes to the intake valves, alot of plumbing.Just for the eye candy?

I have learned to keep things simple & the less,gasket surfaces to deal with boost pressure/possible leaks the better.

We need more overall input of what your friend really is looking to get out of this project.

Speed, over eye candy factor,, etc.?
He just wants something different?

Trying to get an ovelall idea, that's all.

Peace!

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
B
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
B
Hank
I think every car nut wants to be different and to have something no one else has, if we all wanted the same thing it would be a world full of little beige square boxes to ride in. The idea is to try something different, that might be better than anything thing that most people are doing. It may work or it may not but there is only one way to find out. If the only object was max speed per dollar then we would put in a V-8 chevy. I play with inlines because I like to see a persons face when an inline does something special. The object here is to come up with a engine that will run on pump gas and be dependable have good power decent mileage if driven sensible. Yet blow peoples minds when they see it. My main question is what turbo or turbos should we be hunting for to do this and on what vehicle are they to be found.

Big Bill
I.I.# 4698
A
Contributor
Contributor
A
I agree Big Bill, why have something just like everyone else has. How about the early Buick Regal turbo's? Carb (Rochester 4 barrel) manifold with water heat and turbo with waistgate all in one package set up for 230 cubes. A 250 would just make it spool up a bit quicker.

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
This was a recommendation I had posted earlier. Has pics & good info.
Just the standard 3.8 Buick Carb,manifold & turbo set-up.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/before-black-non-sfi-tech/274489-all-turbos-not-created-equal.html

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M

12 port SDS EFI
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M

12 port SDS EFI

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 368 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony
6,785 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available