Print Thread
Rate Thread
#53806 11/30/09 10:14 PM
M
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
M
hello all I am new to this site i haved loved inlines most of my life. I just swapped out a 307 v8 for a 230 L6 in a 1972 1/2 ton pick up with a SM 465 transmission and 411.1 rears.My question is the alternator on the lower left side of the L6 engine block. This is right where the factory power steering pump needs to be located in order to keep the stock power steering lines. should I relocate the alternator to the RHS or leve it alone and move the power steering pump be moved to the RHS and have longer lines made ? and does any one know if there are brackets available to mount factory power steering to a L6 230 block ? or do I need to get some 1/4" plate and some soap stone and fab me up one ? any advice is very much appreciated Thank you all in Advance AMS

90 % of any problem is knowing who to ask ...and who not to.

K
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
K
Both the alternator and the steering pump mount on the leftside....the p/s pump mounts above the alternator.....one bolt will go through the bracket and the thermostat housing, one immediately below needs a spacer behind the bracket...some of the late brackets will use a bolt directly into the cylinder head behind the pump....there should be a support strap running from the p/s pump mount to one of the bolts through the alt. mount....if your cylinder head doesn't have the bolt boss (never seen one on a 230) trim the bracket accordingly,the other three will hold it....fats

fats
M
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
M
thank you sir

Michael

90 % of any problem is knowing who to ask ...and who not to.

V
Contributor
Contributor
V
As for the p/s issue for the box, I bought an old cast spacer adapter a while back off of ebay. Haven't used it yet, but it adapts a 73 and up chev steering box and pitman arm to the existing front end-do a little searching(I know ebay's sometimes a copout, but I've seen other types of kits) and you should be able to dig something up. Unless yor truck came with power steering, of course...

R
Contributor
Contributor
R
You should be able to find the 6 cyl PS pump/alternator brackets in '60s and '70s cars. Look for full size Chevy's, Camaro's, Nova's and Olds Omega, Buick Apollo and Pontiac Ventura as they all used the Chevy 250 six engines. I find them to be much more common than 6 cyl trucks with PS.
I used one from a Buick for my 292, but it had to be modified for the taller engine. 292 PS brackets are extremely hard to find.

'67 GMC 3/4 292 4spd

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 358 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101
6,786 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available