Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#55136 01/26/10 12:54 AM
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
I am ready to assemble my mild street 292, and excuse me if this seems simple, but what is everyone using for mains and head bolts?
I was planning on ARP (rods were built with ARP) but don't see the L6 listed-are they common/shared with SBC or BBC?

thanks,
Tad

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Tad, they are common to the SBC engine. You need to have the engine machined with them in place in the block, instead of with bolts and then swap out when you assemble the engine. Studs pull and stress the block much differently than bolts do, and can actually change the housing bore size if you dont install them in the block before machining.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Thanks. I need to stay with bolts, not studs. The block is already machined and align bored- the shop used stock bolts on the main bearings. I am building similar to one of Tom's dyno tests at approx 230hp/330 ft# - stock should be fine, but I have more faith in ARP. I've had a stock GM main bolt fail on a street driven 327 engine- failed at head cap.

So SBC main bolts are the same? for small journal like early SBC - 2.30? Do you have to buy 2 sets? or do have a 14 count package?

Thanks for all the help. You guys are awesome, if irritable. LOL.

B
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
B
If you want to stay with bolts for the cylinder head, ARP main bearing cap bolts for an Olds 455 work. They sold me the Olds kit plus two additional for mine with the bosses removed. It would likely be cheaper to by two of the kits for a normal head.

Inliner #1916

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 22 guests, and 31 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available