Print Thread
Rate Thread
#557 07/15/03 09:20 AM
S
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
S
I've a fuel injected 87 f150 300 I'd like to change over to a carb set up. Is this feasable?

I figure the intake manifold and distributor will need to change and possibly the exhaust manifold too. Anything else need to be changed out?

(I'll start with these questions for now)

The idea is I want something more reliable - like my old 64 f250. I'm tired of suddenly loosing power because of another bad sensor connection.

#558 07/15/03 01:43 PM
J
Contributor
Contributor
J
Yes, it's feasible, but not a good idea considering the amount of work involved. You'd be better off finding another truck with what you want and swapping the entire motor and controls systems. I have to assume that the real reason driving this is that you don't want to upgrade to a new(er), more reliable truck due to cost?

Out here where I live, it's totally illegal to defeat or swap anything on an engine for older model equipment that had worse emission characteristics. And they inspect us here. Check first into your local laws to make sure you aren't going to get crossways. And keep in mind that Federal law states that a professional mechanic can be held liable for defeating factory-installed emissions equipment no matter where you live in the U.S. The entire computer controlled fuel injection system is considered emissions equipment. You may HAVE to do all the changes yourself depending on how educated on the law your local repair community is.

------------------
David
newbie #4153

David
newbie #4153
#559 07/15/03 04:08 PM
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
EFI blocks don't have the hole in the side of the block for a mechanical fuel pump. You will either have to cut a hole in the block (the EFI cam does have the fuel pump lobe - go figer) or, easier yet, get an electric pump that puts out 6 psi. Good luck.

FORD 300 inline six - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING!
#560 07/15/03 05:36 PM
S
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
S
Hadn't thought about the fuel pump. Can I use the pump from the f/i set up or is the pressure wrong?

How about the manifolds? What years are interchangeable? I'd like to only change the intake if possible, but I'll change both if its better too. Seems I remember my 64 had a heat exchanger kinda set up on it. Basically that 64 had what I'm looking for - a 1 barrel carb with one vacuum line and a manual choke - a near no-fail system.

#561 07/27/03 06:04 PM
S
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
S
Finished the transformation:

'87 f150
Intake manifold and stock carb off a '79 f100
Ditributor/coil(12V)/module off an '83 f150
Electric fuel pump.

Used stock efi exhaust manifold - had to trim both manifolds slightly so they would fit together. Far back manifold bolt doesn't touch manifold - shimmed it.

Plugged several vacuum ports in carb and spacer block (and intake manifold). Manual choke cable - manual choke had already been installed on carb previously. Made a temporary accelerator cable bracket - efi cable and '79 bracket don't match up.

Disconnected high pressure pump and installed 5.5 to 9.0 psi electric pump.

Distributor - one out, one in. Timing for #1 TDC is on the passenger side of the block (look like teeth, not the #'d marks on the timing gear cover) Timing mark on damper is very small (not the big notch).

Wiring harness - GOOD LUCK! Tracing wire colors can be a pain, to say the least. I am now EEC free though. (Took 2 days to do everything else - took 3 days to get the harness hooked in right!)

I still need to redo the exhaust and fine tune the timing and carb. (may overhaul the carb eventually) but it runs well enough already.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 452 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony
6,785 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available