Become a Member
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
A Friend will sell me a new set of Clifford headers for my 65 Nova if I want them.
However they are the long tube type and while new they were a generic version for Car or truck. They are model number 52-1962 and dont go straight down like the truck versions.

Do you think I could get these to fit my 65 with Chevy 250 engine? If so what are the advantages or disadvantages of long versus short headers on this Inline motor. I plan on adding a strong but streetable cam, Offy manifold, some mild head work (T6 Lumps) and 390 four barrel carb.

Is this header unit the right choice versus the shorter model given those parameters???

Last edited by Freds Garage; 03/23/10 04:06 PM. Reason: headers

James Kuenzi
Mid Missouri
64 Dodge Dart GT Convertible
225 /6 w 5speed
W
Contributor
Contributor
W
If I'm not real badly mistaken, the long tube headers will give you better low end torque and a bit wider powerband than the short tube. I had a set of Clifford long tube headers on my '64 Chevelle with a 194 set up very similar to your 250, and they worked really well for me. The one thing I would suggest is that if you buy the headers from your buddy, send them to Jet-Hot or Cap's and have the metallic-ceramic coating applied if they don't already have it. I've had two sets of headers with that coating, and it makes a huge difference in lowering the underhood temperature and also makes the headers last a lot longer then uncoated headers will.

Last edited by 64NovaWagon; 03/23/10 08:24 PM.

Formerly known as 64NovaWagon.
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I would also recomend the long tube headers. Be sure to check the mating surface to gasket seal. Many of these need rewelded and then surfaced flat.
And a second nod on the Jet Hot type coating. Makes a header last. Tom

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
The main problem I see when running long tube headers,is that they might hang down too low.

Might need to have them cut a section out for better ground clearance.

I had long tube Clifford headers on my Camaro,made for my Camaro & they bottomed out a lot of times,when it was stock height & more so when I lowered it a bit.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
S
Contributor
Contributor
S
I ran generic Chevy truck headers in my '72 Nova. I shortened them a couple inches to tuck closer to the floor pan.

B
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
B
If you are still running the stock front subframe, check the clearance at the steering box. If there is no problem, there you should be fine.

Inliner #1916
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
I think I will try to fit them up there first, make any bends, welds and shortenings and then get them ceramic coated.

James Kuenzi
Mid Missouri
64 Dodge Dart GT Convertible
225 /6 w 5speed

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 533 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony
6,785 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available