Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
T
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
T
Hey fellers! I'm new here, been on the hamb for quite a while. I've got a '55 2nd series chevy truck with a 261 and 235 head. I'm going about hopping it up. I've got Fentons from Patrick's and I had a twin pot offy with two Rochesters I had planned on pairing with the Fentons. I spent the last six weeks polishing the intake, which looks killer by the way. Anyway, this weekend at the big swap meet, I found a McGurk intake with two Carter YF's and linkage for stupid cheap. I want to run the McGurk instead of the Offy because I just think it's cooler and a little more rare piece.

The McGurk is a 235 intake with 216 sized carb spacing. So I can use the Carters that came on it or I have some glass bowl Holley 1904's. Both the Holleys and the Carters need rebuilding. So that part's a wash. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using the Carter YF's vs. the glass bowl Holleys? Also, who's got the quality kits for the two?

Thanks in advance for the help and thanks for the knowledge here!

"Shoot first, ask questions NEVER!"- Early Cuyler
R
Contributor
Contributor
R
The Carburetor Shop
204 E. 15th Street
Eldon, MO. 65026
573-392-7378

Ron

D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
Terd,
Lots of choices there!
The McGurk intake was dyno tested on a 216 in May 1953 Hot Rod, I think that article is on the web somewhere. More dyno tests shortly thereafter on the 261 w/McGurk, don't have the reference handy right now.

Biggest choice on the carbs might be what size (CFM) they are.
As I look thru my data, any of the three (Rochester "B", Carter YF, Holley 1904) could be anywhere from 160cfm to 240cfm at 3.0" Hg. With a 261, I'd lean toward the bigger pair if they are different. If there are numbers on the carbs I might have some info or others might.

If you plan to race, most strips will not like the glass bowls, they don't like glass anything especially with fuel in it. But they look cool.

Would you be able to measure the port diameters on each intake?
(Offy and McGurk)????

Major Contributor
Major Contributor
 Originally Posted By: Ron Golden
The Carburetor Shop
204 E. 15th Street
Eldon, MO. 65026
573-392-7378

Ron

Terd, this is the same Jon guy I was telling you about on the hamb. he is on this board too, so you can contact him here too

Tom
I.I. #1475
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
Oh yeah, I forgot - YF's in my mind are best of the choices you offer. I have a pair of the holleys on my 56 but dont really like them. I look at the Rochesters a little differently: I would take them and throw them as far as I could then run and pick them up and throw them again. Others like them but i cant get them to work.

the other options I like are W-1's or BXOV-2.

Tom
I.I. #1475

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available