Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#57303 04/30/10 12:02 AM
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
I'm currently running an offy manifold w/ 390 holley electric choke but before I get too far in the build was wondering what kind of luck guys have had with some of the other setups. (webers and such) I'm not into the holley/offenhauser set too much $$$ now and wouldn't mind exploring if I knew there were available manifolds for the weber setup and such things.

53ChevSD #57307 04/30/10 12:10 AM
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
It is really going to be hard to beat the reliability you have with the current setup.
The sky is the limit for your intake choices.
single 2bbl
dual 2 bbls
3 2 bbls
single 4 bbl
2 4 bbls
3 4 bbls( larry's choice)
webers in side drafts or down drafts
and then there is the fuel injection choices

Webers are harder to tune and cost more.

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
 Originally Posted By: tlowe #1716

Webers are harder to tune and cost more.

I find this funny considering you have never tunned Webers as I have.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Webers are not really all that hard to tune.And when it comes to performance the straighter you can get the air flow the better your performance will be. That is one reason why my 3x4 set-up ran better then any other set-up i had on my 250.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
Twisted6 #57333 04/30/10 10:28 PM
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Tom If I were you I'd just give up. These two are never going to let you post anything here without them telling us all over and over how much more they know about everything than God, and how long they've more than we could possibly understand. If you say anything back to them they whine about "cheap shots" or attack your parents and upbringing as they did me. It is too bad that they are allowed to rag on anyone they feel threatened by and are such cowards that they need cyberspace to feel manly. Just losers and they are driving people from this board. Who needs their crappy attitudes? If you read their posts they don't give information they simply say no one can do what they have done. It would be great if members could post without the constant attacks but when the moderators on the board are leading the attacks I guess it is hopeless. Too bad I enjoyed Inliners. Beater

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
J
Contributor
Contributor
J
Tom,
Are there any old threads about installing fuel injection? If yes, then let me know where I can find some details of what parts to use. If they aren't any, then I'm interested in hearing about how to do it. Thanks

If at first you don't succeed,
then read the directions and try again.
JimW #57337 04/30/10 11:24 PM
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Which kind of EFI do you want?
Throttle body
Multiport

Inliner Member 1716

J
Contributor
Contributor
J
I would assume throttle body (easier and less expensive?) What, or should I say, how much of a power advantage does multiport have over a throttle body?

JimW #57340 05/01/10 12:12 AM
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Jim,
Here is a example of a used one on ebay. It is the older design. Expect to see these from 500-650 as this is.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HOLLEY-PR...sQ5fAccessories

One controlled with a Holley Comander 950 would be better.

You can also do as Beater is doing. Use one from a TBI Chevy truck 305 or 350 motor and control it with a Megasquirt CPU and make your harness.

A TBI will work better than Multiport, because of the siamese intake ports.

Inliner Member 1716

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
If you look @ the previous posts Tlowe starts all the problems we have here.

Telling me I have no idea, no clue etc. So of course I have a right to respond to his snide remarks.

It's really too bad he is just learning about this stuff so late in his life.

For him to think these engine dyno tests are just the same or better than actually having these tests of different engine combos,in an vehicle you can drive first hand, like I said before,,he is still learning & not disproving any so called myths by these dyno tests.

Nobody here is threatened ,by these improperly done one sided dyno tests.
I thought you are a moderator @ the other forum? Why hang out here just adding fuel to the fire, calling people cowards, & what not,great moderator skills.

I give info, tips all the time on personal experience.

I am personally tired of Tlowes attacks on me,keeps mentioning I am not a paid member , I should not be on the BB because I am not a paid member.

Most forums I use do not charge a membership fee.

I would have to look harder to find a forum you need to pay for to use or post questions or anything else.

Tlowe is a moderator also on the other forum,he can just as well post his findings & play god over there like we do here LOL.

When you take/steal someone elses idea & make profits from it, basically taking away someones income,,,do you think that would be a sore spot?
I mean ,get real, do you guys have any idea how much that would hurt, or even make you feel a little bad?

Then you have a guy here just learning how to work on cylinder heads,can't get a small chamber head to flow good, then passes on bogus/incorrect info stating the small chamber 194 head is no good & he would never recommend it..

Sorry,I refuse to let incorrect info be passed around here,it's not personal attacks from me ,just trying to correct incorrect statements.
Now when I get personnaly attacked,you think I should just turn the other check I suppose?

I will gladly pass info to people here if they would be interested in anything I have worked on.

I have given input to Tlowes car,torque converter to use(just one example),(what stall),then his relpy is,,oooo that's too much stall,it will overheat the trans,I would never need that loose of a converter,,,then what does he do,gets a looser converter,then says wow,glad I thought of using this loose converter,never gives credit,just steal/takes the credit of other peoples know how & other people parts.

Another input I have told Tlowe was to cut out/mill down the center devider on the Spa manifold,because the wastegate only sees exhaust flow/pressure from 3 cylinders. He acts like there is no reason to do that to control his over boost problems.

Now look @ the manifolds he sells,,,the center devider is milled down.

He can learn on his own,for all I care.

I tried to tell him things to do for the dyno,but he just shoots down my ideas, or later takes credit for them,like he thought of it.
I'm done w/any more free info for him.

If anyone else here would like to learn from guys (I am not the only one here w/good basic knowledge) that have done street racing,track racing,daily driver experience w/inline 6 cylinders, I will and always have been giving out what info I can give,I dont know it all, but I have dealt w/my L6 250 since 1983 same car,many different trans,3 spd,4spd,5 spd,th350 & now 4L85E ,high compression, low compression,torque converters,1 barrel,2 bbls,4bbls,3 sidedraft Webers,Nitrous , Paxton supercharger blowing through the Webers manifolds,hyd,cams, solid cams,solid roller cams,Rhoads lifters,passing smog tests,w/hot cams & single 1 barrel carb, etc etc.

I have spent a lot of money on my car over the years & it's still not painted,,,my first concern was saftey,then the rest was mostly concerned w/how to get more power, how to get better mileage,looks was never a big concern,mainly how to whoomp on those V-8 thingys.

Thanks for the time guys.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
53ChevSD
If you can go with any type of injection with the USE of O2 censors (multiport,TBI etc)along with a computor controled unit an with the USE of O2 censors You would have much better control over tuneing and performance.Like Tom said multiport will be harder due to the port. but many have divided the ports
to make it work.But with a lose in air.

Beater your the one who had to start. No one said anything off topic other then yourself first.(here this topic)
So if your not happy here i don't know what to tell ya.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Sorry I brought it up!

53ChevSD #57381 05/02/10 01:29 AM
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
JimW, It is sometimes hard to search things here by topic because we don't always adhere to the topics first post or call them the wrong thing to start with. Try looking up posts by efi-diy. He is the megasquirt/EFI authority here. There are other posts here from guys who have used junkyard stuff and stock GM ECMs. I am slowly working on a GM TBI set up using a Megasquirt II. It will at first be on a SBC but will end up on a 292. I started a thread in '07 (Help needed to change 4 piles into 1) that sorta' covers my battle. There is some good stuff there, mostly help from efi-diy, buried in my excessive babble. I hope to run an engine with my MS tomorrow. It is not as hard as I made it. I want to put the information together in a useable form when I get it working. Beater

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
S
Contributor
Contributor
S
Beater, when you use the TBI does that increase hood clearance with a lower air cleaner or is it about the same as with a 4 barrel?

'38 Stude/292
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Here are some pics of the GM TBI. It is about the same as a 4V carb maybe a little shorter. TBI Donor , TBI Conversion Demo , 292 Mockup

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
Clean simple set-up. Nice!

Charlie on the Turbo Buick.com made a hybrid turbo out of on of these turbos.There website is dwn right now.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Thanks! It's got to be simple if I'm doing it. Cheap too. \:D

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M

12 port SDS EFI
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Thank you. When I added it to my turbo bookmarks file I saw it was already there. I think from one of your earlier posts. There is some good information there. It will be interesting making the TBI work in a draw through setup. Beater

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Beater,
That is a simple setup, clean looking.

One thing I would attempt to do is seperate the exh / intake heat riser. The turbo intake has a water heated passage. And that turbo is going to drive more heat than normal into the factory intake thru the mating joint. Cool air is good air!

Inliner Member 1716

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
That is a good idea. I think it may wind up with a modified Offenhauser manifold and it wouldn't contact the exhaust. The one on it now is blocked but still bolted to the exhaust maniofold. All help is welcome as this is my first turbo project. Efi-diy has been my Megasquirt coach for years now and that will run the TBI. He has also given me a lot of turbo tips. How about the original poster's carb question? We can discuss this on my thread " Re: Help needed to change 4 piles into 1" Beater

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
One other tip,,,, I always recommend,,,,use a progressive methanol injection set-up.

You get high octane methanol injected into the engine,super cools the intake charge,,,always a great idea especially since you are not running an intercooler.

This is about the lowest price I have seen for a progressive system.
http://www.alcohol-injection.com/voltage-stage-2-352.html

My friend has the same basic system on his 1.8T Jetta,,& it works great!

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Another good idea. The MSII is capable of running other stuff and there may be a way to have it control one of these. And that price isn't bad. It takes away some simple though. I guess it is simpler than always replacing pistons. \:\( Beater

J
Contributor
Contributor
J
[ I started a thread in '07 (Help needed to change 4 piles into 1) that sorta' covers my battle. There is some good stuff there, mostly help from efi-diy, buried in my excessive babble. Beater[/quote]

I have read your thread (in its entirety one afternoon). I noticed that efi-diy seems very knowledgalbe, but I have to admit that, at some points, the application of EFI seemed kinda scary, based on your thread. But I also have to admit that this is the reason why I truly enjoy this forum. Most all of you guys fall into at least one or more the following categories : knowledgeable, intuitive, helpful, and most of the time friendly.

I agree that we have taken over a post with an 'off topic' topic. I'll take your advice and search efi-diy's posts and I won't hijack this post anymore. If I'm still confused, maybe I'll start another thread.

Thanks again to all.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 161 guests, and 42 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available