Rate Thread
#57186 04/27/10 06:22 PM
G
gearset Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
G
I was wondering what mufflers you guys are using on your duel exhauest? i was thinking of using glass packs.

gearset #57188 04/27/10 09:24 PM
Contributor
Contributor
Well, I had a set of Mello-tone 12" steel-packs for about 5 years. They were really nice and loud. My wife said "it wasn't if I would get a ticket, but when I would get a ticket". I really loved the sound. But my neighbors next door didn't and neither did the local police who they called on me. So now I have a set of cheap 18" glass-packs from the muffler shop. They are not as good sounding as before. I love it when the Harley riders give me a thumbs up when they hear them. I'm hoping that my new mufflers burnout on our trip to the convention in Texas. "Loud pipes save lives"

Luke Lucas I.I. #516
53chevy #57232 04/28/10 08:19 PM
N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
53, I've heard a, er, umm, rumor that if you soak the packing material in the glass packs in water (ie sink the muffler in the tub, or a 55 gallon drum, etc) that they burn out quicker. ;\)

My, what a steep learning curve. Erik II#5155
Nexxussian #57261 04/29/10 09:20 AM
P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
I always try to irritate as many people as possible.
That way, they're sure to call the police, puncture my tires, break my windshield, key my fender, and vote for more anti-car show zoning and more noise regulations. Isn't that "advancing the hobby"?

panic #57280 04/29/10 03:40 PM
Contributor
Contributor
I used to like them loud until I had to get hearing aids and started suffering from Tinnitus. My cars got a lot quieter real fast. Wish I would have closed the barn door before the horses got out, though.

"The first rule of overkill: You can never have too much overkill."
"Overkill is underrated."
56er #57282 04/29/10 05:30 PM
P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
Ask any doctor: any exposure, however brief, to noise above 100 db is a permanent hearing loss. Fireworks, machinery, guns, cars, music. If the exposure is continuous (work), even 80 db causes cumulative damage - see OSHA regs.
Them why does it "come back" after a few days?
Only some comes back, and your subconscious has adjusted to the partial deafness.
In addition, really low frequency noise (below about 15 Hz, caused by chassis vibration, etc.) is inaudible but causes headache and stress. That's why riding in a loud car is "tiring" after a few hours, in addition to hearing problems.

panic #57284 04/29/10 06:32 PM
G
gearset Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
G
I understand what your saying, but what mufflers are you using. I don't want to anoy my nabors, but i also don't want that buzzzzz sound either. I want the car to sound different than all the rest.

Options please?

gearset #57285 04/29/10 07:05 PM
G
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
G
I'm thinking my langdon's into a "Y" pipe and then to the biggest (3") longest glaspack I can find. Then out just behind the left side rear tire. (292)

gungadin #57296 04/29/10 10:09 PM
J
Newcomer
Newcomer
J
Running Langdons into a two in two out turbo style. Bought it from summit. Good sound under acceleration but not too loud at 55. Exhaust exits straight out the back.

jhardy #57342 05/01/10 02:00 AM
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
I have the Langdon cast headers into two 2" duals with 20" steel pacs with the louvres facing exhaust flow. As far as loud goes I'd give them a 7 on a 10 scale. Here are two videos of my car that may help you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FchcwJXU-o&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvP5FyVnVg4&feature=channel

Martin
'64 Nova wagon
'69 C10
I
Contributor
Contributor
I
turbo style mufflers are quieter than glasspacks...with that said, the quietest glasspacks are the longest....you can get them all the way up to 30" long in the thrush/dynomax line.

if space is an issue, some muffler shops have a muffler that is shaped just like a glasspack, except its a turbo muffler, you cant see through it very well, it doesnt have an open center like the glasspack style, these are usually blue in color.

once you run the duals, if its still a bit loud, an X pipe will quieten it down further, Id imagine an H pipe would help too but I have no experience with those. I had duals with turbo style mufflers on my truck, true duals, tried the X pipe to see what would happen sound wise, it was like night and day, alot quieter.

Ive heard some chevy inlines with flowmaster mufflers, they sound nice.

If you search, I posted a thread a year or two ago that had many sound files, with different exhaust setups, its hard to really hear the total range of sound on computer speakers but it might give you a rough idea of what to expect.

Last edited by inline300; 05/01/10 11:38 AM.
inline300 #57357 05/01/10 12:37 PM
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
It really depends on what you expect out of the sound. If you want a quiet sound, put a single tailpipe with a stock muffler. If you want a raspy hotrod sound, use duals with straight pipes. All sounds out the back depend on a number of inter-related items.
Cubic displacement, modifications to head, carbruators, size of headers , diameter of exhaust pipes, etc. You see any combination of these will alter the sound of your inline. Find a guy or gal with an inliner that sounds good to you and go with that. Participate in shows and clubs and you will find your way.
I like to hear a motor at it's best level. Nice low rumble at idle and able to talk to your passenger at highway speeds.

Loud Pipes Saves Lives!
inline300 #57358 05/01/10 12:39 PM
A
Contributor
Contributor
A
I don't know what panic is talking about, I had 2 1/2 inch glass packs that went on up to 3 inch tubes angling out just in front of the rear tires. True it was a little loud at first but about four hundred miles into a trip to Bonneville they quieted down real nice. Got my new hearing aids yesterday. Mufflers are different now. \:\(

W
Contributor
Contributor
W
When I built my Chevelle back in the mid '70's, I used Clifford long tube headers with 2 1/2" collectors, then had a muffler shop weld up a pair of 2 1/2" pipes with flanges on them to bolt to the header collectors, and then a pair of Cherry Bomb glass packs bolted to the 2 1/2" extension pipes, and 2" exhaust pipes welded to the tail end of the Cherry Bombs that exited just in front of the left rear tire. The sound was mellow, but still loud enough to be pleasing to me, but not so much that it attracted unwelcome attention from cops or neighbors. If any of you out there are old enough to remember what the exhaust note of an Austin-Healey 3000 sounded like, that's exactly what my Chevelle sounded like too. In fact, I had a couple of Healey drivers give me very strange looks at stoplights, which tickled me to no end. I'm going to duplicate that exhause system on the Nova when it gets to that point.

Formerly known as 64NovaWagon.
Z
Contributor
Contributor
Z
Running 2" single exhaust and a 11254 Magnaflow.

Pretty quiet with just a hint of throatiness on a stock 235.

Zeke Fishburn #57608 05/07/10 07:57 PM
R
Contributor
Contributor
R
well i just got my 50 1 ton with 261 on the road. have fentons with 1 & 7/8 head pipes. i wanted the glass pack sound but not the typical glasspack with louvres inside that cause turbulence. so i chose thrush which has a perforated tube core. i got 2" x 22" case. well.......... it's just too damn loud ! i think i'll get another pair of the same mufflers & stick on right behind these & when i get some more highway freindly rear gears it will be about right. but forget about a cell phone or radio right now.
robert

inliner # 3850
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Forget about the cell phone anyway! It should be legal to shoot people using cell phones while they drive. If the forensic team can put a straight shaft through the bullet hole in the window and phone into the driver's ear it should be OK. Beater

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
Al Offline
Contributor
Contributor
my 250 5 speed has two Dynaflows and I love the sound. Had a pair of Flow Masters. They had a great sound but drove me crazy at highway speeds. Dynaflows are a good compromise.

Al #57621 05/08/10 01:44 AM
S
Contributor
Contributor
S
I'm considering Porter Mufflers, since they're true old school steel packs. They have a nice throaty sound, at least on bent 8's, so I'm hoping it'll be a bit lower and throatier than a stereotypical glasspack on a straight 6.

Might be something to look into?

1967 Chevy II, 2-door post.
250, 3-OTT.

1969 GMC 1/2-ton.
307, 3-OTT.
DD.
samwise68 #57625 05/08/10 02:27 AM
Contributor
Contributor
In my Rambler (yup, but it's an inliner :-) I run 2.25" to a Summit turbo muffler (internally side by side two pipes, not straight through), it exits in front of the rear wheel.

It's surprisingly loud; I'm not that happy with it. I think it's mostly the very short overall length. It's a 100" wheelbase, exhaust is under 70" flange to chrome tip.

Exiting in front of the rear wheel really means exits 18" behind you head, when the window's down. With them up, it's quiet enough.

I know sound in general and mufflers specifically are hard to generalize, how do the the long (eg. 30") glasspacks compare to a Summit type "turbo" muffler, volume-wise?

tom jennings #57628 05/08/10 07:17 AM
J
Contributor
Contributor
J
I have a 2" diameter 18" long Cherry Bomb glasspack attached to each pipe from Langdon cast irons. Both pipes come out in front of the left rear tire. My son wanted it be loud and sound cool. It does both of those, but at about 3500 you can't hear yourself think in the cab ('67 C-20 with no cab insulation other than the padding under the floor mat.)
I'm sure my neighbors are happy with me on the days I drive it to work (I leave between 5:15a and 5:40a).

Panic and Armond are right - there is such a thing as too loud and I'm sure my son and I have found it.
We're currently trying to find a quieter conversion. Any advice is appreciated.

p.s. - it is pretty neat though to watch traffic part like the Red Sea when merging from an on ramp in heavy traffic - especially when along a concrete retaining wall

Last edited by JimW; 05/08/10 07:20 AM.

If at first you don't succeed,
then read the directions and try again.
R
Contributor
Contributor
R
 Originally Posted By: Beater of the Pack
Forget about the cell phone anyway! It should be legal to shoot people using cell phones while they drive. If the forensic team can put a straight shaft through the bullet hole in the window and phone into the driver's ear it should be OK. Beater

you're absolutely right!! i still need it quieter. a long trip in my current setup makes my ears hurt. i spent 25 yrs. in welding fab shops & was smart enough to wear ear plugs everyday. i still have good hearing. robert

inliner # 3850
tom jennings #57635 05/08/10 10:23 AM
P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
I can't figure out why someone hasn't made a good analysis of a known system that both produces good power and sounds nice (not just loud). Example: Jaguar 4.2 (253").
There are actually very few characteristics that affect what the exhaust sounds like, specifically the size, cylinder config (L6, V8), compression ratio. The remainder just affect how loud it becomes at WOT. The important remaining factor is if & when the individual pipes are joined.
In short, an L6 is an L6, and there's no reason why an entire XK-E replica system can't be grafted on to a Gen-3 beginning at a split manifold - except $$$.
I suspect, but do not know, that a more modern system such as Nissan 240, 260, 280, 300Z with the L6 (IIRC the ZX is a V6) or Toyota Supra could be easier to find and cheaper.
It's just a single long pipe from each manifold going back to both a resonator and a muffler (dual outlets in a single body).

Re: It should be legal to shoot people using cell phones while they drive.
There should be a bounty on these idiots!

panic #57639 05/08/10 11:32 AM
R
Contributor
Contributor
R
o.k. i get the point about cell phones. no need to mention it again. once was enough.
robert

inliner # 3850
P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
Not about you, so just ignore this?

<rant>
Oddly enough, every person I know socially that actually admits using a cell while driving is careful to assure me that "I only use it for emergencies", "I need it for work", "I'm very careful", and in general simply don't get it.
The current laws which permit hand-free, etc. are the result of bribes and coercion by the phone companies to the legislatures, since it isn't what your little fingers are doing, but what your tiny brain is not doing: paying atten.. oh my G_d where did that truck come from!!!.
Eventually, some Senator's little girl will be killed by someone talking on a cell, and the new legislation will begin with mandatory jail sentences for driving with a live phone, period, since when it rings every single cell user picks it up to see who it is regardless of whether they take the call or not.
The technology already exists to detect when a cell is on, regardless of whether there is a call in progress. Once the legislature understands the public's concern, the next step is to permit the defendant's personal assets to be seized before any insurance kicks in: talk on a cell + personal injury = bankruptcy.

Why don't we have laws against other distractions, such as applying nail polish, eating, reading a map (equally destructive)?
1. they're harder to detect, and impossible to prove (cell phones have records)
2. only a cell phone demands your attention, the others are passive
</rant>

panic #57644 05/08/10 02:02 PM
R
Contributor
Contributor
R
panic, i will answer my phone & talk on it while driving. i don't dial numbers or text. it may not be a good practice, but i won't argue with you about it here. the post was about mufflers & in the engine section & that's what was being discussed.
one reason why i go for long periods without posting is situations just like this. some of you post on here everyday & you get to feeling that you're big dog on the board & if someone disagrees with your veiws you'll jump on them & keep hammering at them. i believe you used the word idiot. i don't just participate in this forum, i'm a dues paying member of inliners. i don't come on here for name calling.
robert

Last edited by robertf II# 3850; 05/08/10 02:22 PM.

inliner # 3850
T
tmo Offline
Newcomer
Newcomer
T
I wanted dual exhaust on my 56 chev - 235. I have the following setup: stock 235, Corvette cast iron dual exhaust running dual pipes into a dual in / out 18 inch Flowmaster. I had the muffler shop neck down the pipes to fit. The setup allowed me to run the pipes side by side down one side of my underbody and split back to dual-out going over the rear axle. Makes just enough rumble to keep my Big block brother happy without frying my ears.

tmo #57699 05/09/10 04:20 PM
I
Newcomer
Newcomer
I
Why bother with mufflers?

IHC1954R110 #57701 05/09/10 04:37 PM
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I put two straight 2 1/2" pipes on my pickup. Two trips to Reno over Geiger Grade changed my mind about what sounds good. I stuck a pair of 20" cherry bombs on it and I love the sound. I can hear the radio fine if I'm not making noise on purpose. Beater

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
JimW #57702 05/09/10 04:43 PM
I
Contributor
Contributor
I
 Originally Posted By: JimW
I have a 2" diameter 18" long Cherry Bomb glasspack attached to each pipe from Langdon cast irons. Both pipes come out in front of the left rear tire. My son wanted it be loud and sound cool. It does both of those, but at about 3500 you can't hear yourself think in the cab ('67 C-20 with no cab insulation other than the padding under the floor mat.)
I'm sure my neighbors are happy with me on the days I drive it to work (I leave between 5:15a and 5:40a).

Panic and Armond are right - there is such a thing as too loud and I'm sure my son and I have found it.
We're currently trying to find a quieter conversion. Any advice is appreciated.

p.s. - it is pretty neat though to watch traffic part like the Red Sea when merging from an on ramp in heavy traffic - especially when along a concrete retaining wall

swap them out for the generic turbo mufflers at your local muffler shop...or go with a Y pipe into a single 2.5" pipe, into a single turbo muffler.

inline300 #57725 05/09/10 11:26 PM
U
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
U
I run a 235 with a nicely fabricated split manifold going into 2" pipes with an equalizer tube to the front seat then into the longer 26" Smithys glass packs. From there it goes to 2" tailpipes right to the rear bumper with old school deflector tips. Its not to loud with the longer mufflers and has great tone.I think the equilizer pipe kills the harshness. If you want awesome rap and loud use 1 3/4"" Stanley tractor mufflers from Tractor Supply Co. with 1/3/4" pipes as long as possible and mufflers as far forward as you can get. This setup with smaller pipe really raps and sounds viscious when on the throttle

Id have more 8s but I can't count that high
inline300 #57768 05/10/10 09:07 PM
J
Contributor
Contributor
J

[/quote]
swap them out for the generic turbo mufflers at your local muffler shop...or go with a Y pipe into a single 2.5" pipe, into a single turbo muffler. [/quote]

Are you implying that the turbo mufflers would be quieter than what I have, but still noisy enough to keep my son happy?

Regarding the 'Y' pipe, wouldn't that create a restriction in exhaust flow which would lead to a loss of power? Currently have 6.28 sq" vs. 4.90 sq" with a single 2.5". Or do you think my engine is not creating enough exhaust flow to be able to make a noticeable difference in power?

Would adding in a crossover between the pipes in front of the mufflers help reduce the decibal level?

If at first you don't succeed,
then read the directions and try again.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 321 guests, and 36 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available