Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#57647 05/08/10 03:20 PM
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
Alright guys. I have an exhaust leak and I'm rebuilding the carb right now so I thought I might as well fix the exhaust leak while I have the carb off. I need to get the manifolds off but the bolts are stuck in there after heat cycling for 41 years. I managed to get two of them off on the far right but one on the left of the middle part of the intake manifold has successfully had its head stripped. I don't know how to get it off because the only way I could think is to drill it in and get a removal tool but I can't drill into it because the intake manifold is in the way. Do you guys have any ideas?

69 Buick Special Deluxe. Intercooled Turbo Chevy 250 @ 15psi on a stock long block. It's kinda fast.
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
You might have to chisel the head off of the bolt to remove it, or maybe a cutting torch if you are careful not to start a fire.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
well I was thinking about just taking a dremel or a 4.5" grinder cutting wheel to it but I don't want to mess up that little clamp piece that the bolt goes through. Can I get replacement clamps if I do mess it up?

69 Buick Special Deluxe. Intercooled Turbo Chevy 250 @ 15psi on a stock long block. It's kinda fast.
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
Use http://www.kanolabs.com/google/ or PB blaster http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/blaster-pb-penetrating-catalyst-p-6870.html?ref=42 to loosen up the rust.Let it soak & apply a few times.
Then use a good pair of vise grips,with sharp teeth,not some cheap knock off vise grips. The larger the better IIRC 10" is the larger size? http://www.google.com/products/catalog?r...ed=0CDwQ8gIwBQ#

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
J
Contributor
Contributor
J
Snowman,
You can get those clamps at any junkyard where you can find an inline GM. The bolts are a standard thread and I recommend replacing them with studs.
If you buy an after market manifold(s) you'll probably need to modify the clamps anyway.
If you Dremel doesn't work (which it should) then try a 'cheater' socket made for removing bolts with rusted threads. Craftsman, Snap On, Mac Tool, Matco all make them. They are invaluable at the junkyard with a breaker bar.

If at first you don't succeed,
then read the directions and try again.
JimW #57654 05/08/10 07:46 PM
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
Well ive sucessfully managed to mangle the bolt head. Now ive resorted to cutting it off. Ive gotten halfway through the bolt head with a jigsaw but im going to try to cut it with a dremel. Thanks for your responses guys

Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
Actually I might as well ask this now. What i
all is holding on the manifolds? Just those clamps along the manifolds? Or are there some hidden bolts somewhere?

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
Nothing hidden,alignment dowels I believe,but those do not hold the manifold on.

It is bolted to the intake though,the intake & exhaust come off together.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
So is the only thing holding those manifolds on is those six or so clamps?

J
Contributor
Contributor
J
X2 for nothing else holding on the manifold.

Are yhou going to use the bolt system or change it to studs and nuts?

Are you going to install fasteners at the ends of the exhaust?

Last edited by JimW; 05/09/10 10:29 AM.

If at first you don't succeed,
then read the directions and try again.
JimW #57696 05/09/10 01:42 PM
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
Im not sure what in going to do but I just need a quick and easy solution to get that bolt head off first of all. I'm going to try to finish cutting the head with a jig saw today and I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
alrighty guys, now I've gotten the bolt and clamp off and it's ready to come off. But now I can't seem to get off the bolts holding it on the exhaust pipe... I'm really not sure what to do here because it's too recessed because of the flange to use a box-end wrench and I can't get at it straight with a ratchet because of the pipe. How did you guys get it off?

I
Contributor
Contributor
I
would a swivel adapter attached to the socket, then to the socket extension help?
example:
http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2511956

Last edited by inline300; 05/09/10 06:01 PM.
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
Are you spraying the threads & bolts w/PB plaster or anything @ least?
Studs/hardware likes to snap off from being so old & rusty.

X2 Swivel adaptor + extension like inline 300 recommended.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
I've gotten older over the years and either smarter or lazy, and remember what my dad told me when I was 12, work smarter , not harder. He would have looked at your problem,took off the ground cable, removed the header pipe,pulled off the carb and fuel line and filter, put a wet shop towel over the fuel pump,made sure nothing was under the manifold like wiring, rolled out the torch, cut the heads off of the offending bolts, cool off the bolts with a spray bottle of water, pulled the old manifold off, used a good set of vice grips and broke loose the rest of the bolts and screwed them out, problem solved.He worked as a mechanic all of his life , the type of man that could fix your car,make his own brews, fix your tv or restore your violin.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 295 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available