Rate Thread
#58307 06/06/10 11:20 PM
M
McGoo Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
M
Well, the short block is under way and hopefully will be ready in a few weeks.
I'm still hoping to get a turbo onto the engine this summer but it looks like I'll have to do a blow through set up into a carbfor now. EFI will be a winter project.
I have read some posts with regards to port dividers on EFI turbo setups, is this a concern with a carbed blow through set up?
I am also looking into harmonic balancer options. My builder is not a fan of Fluid dampers. Anyone tried the TCI Rattler, or should I just go for a new stock type balancer?

Cheers,

Paul

V8 Camaros are like navels, everybody has one.
69 Camaro EFI Turbo 250 project is running!!
McGoo #58308 06/06/10 11:53 PM
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Pass on the Rattler also. The fuel sharing problems that are common to siamese intake port engines don't really seem to be as bad with carbs as with EFI setups, but still can be when the HP and RPM start to get on up there. What kind of HP levels are you looking at getting with your combo.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
M
McGoo Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
M
What is the issue with the TCI part? Do you have a preferance?

I was thinking that 450 HP or a bit more and ideally under 6,000 rpm would not be an unrealistic number. Does that seem reasonable?

My engine builder is great at building bottom ends that are capable of taking a lot of abuse, but he is not up to speed on the latest and greatest that is available on EFI turbo engines.

The engine builder in Edmonton that expressed an interest in taking on the whole project just fell off the face of the earth. Stopped returning my emails/ phone calls. Too bad really, they have a lot of experience in getting stupid power from V6 EFI turbo engines.

16 psi on a 250 inch engine under ideal conditions should be well within that 450 HP number. I am 3000 feet above sea level so that is something to consider. I also drive all over the continent so that makes EFI a necessary ingredient in my books.

I am having a very difficult time finding one business that is willing to solve all of these issues. I have a basic understanding of the whole process but not enough to direct this build.
I know that there is at least one or ten people on this site that are willing to share their experiences with green horns like moi, so I really do appreciate everyones 10 cents worth.

Thanx for your reply,

Cheers,

Paul

McGoo #58310 06/07/10 01:12 AM
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
You shouldn't experience the fuel sharing issues at the level you plan to be. Its just that when guys talk about turbos, you dont know if their thinking 400 HP or 800 HP. I was in on the very first Rattler prototype that was ever made. Our shop had a former owner that went to work for TCI back in the early 80's, and he kept us in the loop on many R&D projects that they undertook, and even involved us in them. My experiences with the Rattler is that they tend to weld themselves to the crank snout after only a short time on some engines. I have never used one on an inline crank, but we had several billet BBC crank snouts ruined because of this problem. They may have rectified this issue over the years, but I would never use one. I also agree about the Fluidampr. The ATI seems to be a decent one if you are considering an aftermarket one. The Rattler kinda' reminds me of the technology that many Rockcrawlers use to balance their massive 44"+ tires. They take several plastic type balls(about the size of golf balls)and put them inside the tires loosely when they mount the tires to the rims. They just float around inside the tires and somehow seem to gravitate to the out of balance spots inside the tires. A low speeds you can hear them rattling around inside the tires. It works much better than spin balancing the tires, but I dont think the concept works so well on crankshafts.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
M
McGoo Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
M
Is the ATI significantly better than an OEM replacement? I assume is it an elastomer type.
Was talking to the engine builder today. He's suggesting cam profiles with 114 degrees seperation. Looks like custom cam grind for this. Is there such a thing as too much cam for a turbo application?

McGoo #58330 06/08/10 10:18 PM
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
 Originally Posted By: McGoo
He's suggesting cam profiles with 114 degrees seperation. Looks like custom cam grind for this. Is there such a thing as too much cam for a turbo application?

Yes there is such a thing as too much cam,or more so incorrect camshaft specs.

Generally speaking ,you do not not too much overlap.

I like a wide lobe sepration of 115 or more for a turbo camshaft,for a general overall street car.

The newer LS engines have lobe separation of 120 or more like on the Newer Corvettes.

It all comes down to what you are hoping/want to get out of your vehicle,daily driver,max mileage,max performance & so-on.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
M
McGoo Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
M
All I want out of the car is enough of a kick in the a$$ to startle all those V8 Camaro driver's out there, yet still be able to drive it as often as I want without being too concerned about durability. That is why I am not going to take any short cuts in this project. Maybe I'll have to do a quick rebuild (ring & bearings & etc) of the current short block just to tie me over 'till this thing is running.
The car is a street car but handles quite well due to some suspension improvements and when the bigger rims/tire are added it will be a bit better. It makes a few trips to the Friday night run what ya brung session at Race City Speedway.
I'm sure you can relate to this eh Hank?
The biggest obstacle is my unique combination of impatience and procrastination.

I didn't realize that the LS engines had such a wide lobe spacing. Kinda funny how things progress isn't it?

P

McGoo #58334 06/09/10 03:27 AM
Contributor
Contributor
My turbo cam is ground on a 112 and has 230 at .050. In my mind that's a fairly big turbo cam, but some of the aforementioned LS guys are running more duration, the max effort guys are at 250 at .050. 114 should work.

Also, I'm running an ATI damper, but this is my first 6 so my vote doesn't count plus my brother gave it to me because he had my Fluidampr on his 327 and didn't feel like pulling it.

"The first rule of overkill: You can never have too much overkill."
"Overkill is underrated."
56er #58340 06/09/10 09:04 PM
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
 Originally Posted By: 56er
My turbo cam is ground on a 112 and has 230 at .050. In my mind that's a fairly big turbo cam, but some of the aforementioned LS guys are running more duration, the max effort guys are at 250 at .050. 114 should work.

Your camshaft is fairly big,esp w/a 112 lobe center.

It will make great mid range & top end power.

Douglas' IIRC,first camshaft spec was around 286 ex 292 in. @ .050 duration.

The cam I have now is 240 @ .050,it's going to need a higher stall converter,but that's OK.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
M
McGoo Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
M
Well,
My 250 core that I sent to the machine shop is not useable. The head is good but block is not (already .060 over)
There is a complete 292 available but I am concerned about making that tall deck fit into the Camaro. As it is right now, the air cleaner stud on the 250 is pretty close to the hood.
Anyone near Calgary have a 250 sitting around collecting dust, or has anyone stuffed a 292 into an F body without hood clearance issues?

If I don't find a spare engine I might take the car off the road and use the original engine that is in the car.

Target date now moving further into the fall. \:\(

Paul

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 445 guests, and 37 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony
6,785 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available