Become a Member
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Since we've been talking about optimizing quench on the other thread, I thought it would be more appropriate to post this here...please let me know if this is appropriate subject matter for the board.

Most folks don't know that the Plymouth six had quite a racing pedigree. From 1949 (NASCAR's Grand National debut) to 1952, Plymouth finished no worse than 3rd in the Manufacturer's Championship (2nd in 1949, 2nd in 1950, 3rd in 1951 and 1952). While competing against the much heralded Hudson Hornet and Olds 88. Along the way, the pesky little Plymouths scored victories at some of NASCAR's most prestigious venues; Langhorne, Heidelburg, Darlington, Occoneechee, Martinsville, and North Wilkesboro.

Plymouth aces of the time were some of the biggest names in motorsports - Herb Thomas (who won the 1951 Championship splitting time between a Plymouth and Hudson), Lee Petty, Frank Mundy, Jimmie Lewallen, and AAA 'big car' pilots Johnny Mantz and 1949 Indy 500-winner Bill Holland.

'Big car' ace Johnny Mantz takes the white flag at the inaugural Southern 500 at Darlington.

Mantz and his Plymouth in victory lane. Margin of victory - 9 laps.

2 weeks later Leon Sales pilots the Mantz car to victory at North Wilkesboro.

Dick Meyer's '50 Plymouth fastback at Gardenia, Calif.

Lee Petty and his trusty Plymouth 3-passenger coupe

Herb Thomas' 3-passenger coupe

R
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
R
This is great stuff!

I know the son of one of the Hudson team owners. He tells some wild old stories about when he was a kid and they were the 'bad guys' down from Chicago at the southern tracks.

Here's one of his good stories:

Quote:
My first race was at age 11 days at the International Amphitheater in Chicago. Indoor AAA midget races in January 1948. But my parents rolled me up in a blanket and stuffed me under the seats with the discarded popcorn boxes so I couldn't see anything. I don't have an earliest recollection because my earliest races were all before memory starts and when memory does start, we were at races every weekend.

One of my earliest recollections was about 1952 or 1953. They were going to have a "New Car" stock car race, meaning showroom cars right out of the dealer. We got a new Hudson Hornet. Beautiful red with big white 22 number painted on the side. It was so new it needed to be broken in so my mother put me in the seat and my infant brother between us, and drove it over to the Mississippi River, about a 4 hour drive each way and it was the first time I ever crossed a big bridge and saw a river. I was scared. They put big pieces of paper over the numbers.

So came the big season ending race weekend and the hillbillies my dad had running the car got into a family fight. One faction owned the engine and one owned the car. We were the sponsors so we didn't actually own anything. Well our driver was in the losing faction of the family fight and we got to the track and found out our pretty good hillbilly driver (when he wasn't drunk) had been replaced with some other hillbilly in "our car". So my dad came back from the pits having demanded the company name be removed from the car but it wasn't and it was a big hassle. The cars came out on the track and were lining up and stopping on the main straight for the introductions.

At that point my mother grabbed me by the hand and charged down the steps, my little legs missing about half of them, being suspended in space and drug along. She started going up to the fence and yelling at the drivers in their cars that were lined up. She was waving a $100 bill (big money in those days) and yelling "$100 to wreck the 22 car." I remember she went up to a young Tom Bigelow (years later an Indy 500 driver) waving the money. He looked at her like she was from the moon and said, "Isn't the 22 car your car?" "She yelled back, "Not anymore, $100 to wreck it."

So anyway the big 100 lapper went off and nobody wrecked the car but the driver sucked and finished way back. So afterward off we went to the pits. This is where my recollection is a bit fuzzy but some woman smacked a guy up side the head with her purse and a big riot broke out. I'm pretty sure it was my mom who started it. Anyway, there were about 100 people, men and women alike all fighting and scuffling and I was about knee high to all of them and couldn't help but notice nobody was taking care of me and it seemed kind of dangerous with all these adults fighting all around me. So I decided to bail and ran a zig zag course through the fighting adults and bodies rolling around on the ground until I reached the perimeter of the riot. So I stood there in amazement for awhile watching this and more and more people were pouring down from the stands and joining in and now there were 200 or 300 people fighting all over the place.

So at that point I saw a kid about my age who had also been abandoned standing over to the side so I went over there and sucker punched him and he started crying. I was about 5 years old and was already a racer!

D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
Halfdollar,
Great post!
I have not followed the early years of NASCAR, first engines I followed were more like the 389 Pontiac and 430 Tbird.

So this was the little 230 Plymouth, going up against stuff as big as the 308 Hudson and 303 Olds? And winning, WOW!

P
Contributor
Contributor
P
If I remember correctly wasn't there some straighty involved on a lot of the longer races- such as 6-ply truck tires on the lighter cars. Stop & go fuel only and tires sometimes lasting the full race while heavier cars were changing 4 with 4-way spinners? Just what I think I read or remember. 1 OL REDNECK

DARRELL KRAFT I.I.#113
P
Contributor
Contributor
P
I never knew much about nascar engine rules back then BUT I remember we would slice a intake manifold horizontally on a band saw-HOG OUT- POLISH the inside, braze it back together' grind it down to look stock and paint it flat black on the straight 8 buicks and chevrolets that had to be stock. No cars newer than 1948.

DARRELL KRAFT I.I.#113
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
tguuyyjhjhjhhjujygythghtuyurugftuguyfytyytygytyythh vggvghvhvbhvhggfgydtydyyyfufgcuyfufugugygyyyguhuuuguggutyytytf6yfyytygytytnnggghhdtdrtfffgbhfhcfjhgcujhhtghbnthvghfyhcvyhtyhyhthygyhhfyufytyyhuuyh5thuvughuhjyjugjyuguujhgujgjhvjhthhyt/dfhfyc7ydtgfyfyffygyfydyxc ydhytdftcydctyftgctfttctctcctcyctgc tfg-bhfghdfgffggggtggvbfvygty

12 port SDS EFI
R
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
R
That post shows a lot of insight, Hank...

P
Contributor
Contributor
P
Come on guys- A man is entitled to his opinion! Lets don't let his spoil this subject. Keep it going! 1 OL REDNECK

DARRELL KRAFT I.I.#113
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
Sorry guys, my wife letting my 4 year old play on computer,I cannot delete it.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
"fugugy" Come on Hank Thats too advanced for a 4 year old. There is some good stuff in that post. You must have been helping. \:D Beater

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
P
Contributor
Contributor
P
Thanks for the explanation Hank. 1 OL REDNECK

DARRELL KRAFT I.I.#113
P
Contributor
Contributor
P
HEY where is everyone? I want more stock cars!!! 1 OL REDNECK

DARRELL KRAFT I.I.#113
R
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
R
Hope they're out in the darkroom printing more photos...

P
Contributor
Contributor
P
I'M JUST STARTING TO RELALIZE THE POSSABLITY'S THESE LITTLE FLATHEADS HAD AND I LOVE THOSE LITTLE COUPES. 1 OL REDNECK

DARRELL KRAFT I.I.#113

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 134 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB
6,784 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available