Print Thread
Rate Thread
M
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
M
Hey guys,

I have been wanting to install a remote oil filter/oil cooler set-up for my 250 L6.

Do you guys have any recommendation?

Where to buy,is there a complete kit,or piece a system,, piece by piece?
Thank you.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
M
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
M
Anyone use an oil cooler?

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
V
Contributor
Contributor
V
I have a spin on adapter that came with my 292 that has an in/out with provision for fittings. It's aluminum, but no brand markings. May have been some kind of 70's part? I recall in a recent Hot Rod magazine in some 70's nostalgia article that there was a hot setup using a remote filter by some company I can't remember. Real helpful, I know. I'm guessing you'll probably find something closer to home than Canada, though.

P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
I have never seen a cheap, die-cast adapter fail in service (although I wouldn't use one for a race engine).
They are available in a very large assortment of hose directions (left-right, both up, both left, etc.) to straighten out the hose path.
Check for the NPT thread size: for a cooler, I wouldn't use anything smaller than 1/2-14 thread and 3/4" hose (many are 1/4-18 or 3/8-18).
The hose must have enough slack to never be in tension, even for service. Use Adel clips to attach long loops to brackets or chassis.
The cooler should have the outlet on top, so air will self-purge if the line is released.
A nice accessory is a big 1/4-turn steam valve inserted as a bypass, so the entire cooler can be shut down for cool weather without disturbing the plumbing.
A thermostatic bypass sounds like a good idea, but most are too small to take the full volume (unless you use 2), and the better ones are $$$. You can modify the temperature somewhat by bypassing some of the oil (see above). Masking the face of the cooler has been suggested, but that makes me very nervous if the cooler is grill-mounted since this will obstruct air to the radiator also.
Surplus hydraulic hose lasts forever, very cheap.

C
Contributor
Contributor
C
Since the later 6 uses the same filters as a V-8 it should be no problem using an adapter from a small block.
see:
http://www.summitracing.com/search/Make/CHEVROLET/?keyword=oil+cooler

Pete

Pete
64 Chevelle
61 C30 Panel truck
Contributor
Contributor
Definitely use the hydraulic hose from a hydraulic supply shop, not the cheap hose in the adaptor kit or anything you can get at autozone etc. Also, minimize your bends when routing your hoses, that's where your blowout will happen. I have a bypass thermostat, don't remember where I got it or what I paid, it didn't change oil pressure though. I also looked around to find an adaptor that used 1/2" npt fittings and ran 3/4" hose. I run B&M Supercoolers only, but I'm sure there are other choices out there. Big fan of oil coolers.

"The first rule of overkill: You can never have too much overkill."
"Overkill is underrated."
P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
Remember that the volume in the parts, plus the length of the hoses, affects your start-up time from cold to pressure reaching the rod bearings. Much of the oil will drain back into the pan overnight (the cooler is higher than the pan or block fitting), requiring the initial oil voume from the pump to fill it before any pressure is reached (your gauge tells you nothing useful here).
Some run anti-drain back check valves to at least keep the cooler system full, but of course if it fails in closed position the engine fails.

L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
Just a thought, the Volvo P1800 used an oil cooler that went between the block and oil filter, and was plumbed into the cooling system. The Volvo was only a 4 cyl.. IIRC you could spin the oil cooler off and install the oil filter direct to the block, and the filter was a PER-1.

Larry

Ignorance can be fixed Stupidity is forever
M
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
M
 Originally Posted By: LGriffin_#4385
Just a thought, the Volvo P1800 used an oil cooler that went between the block and oil filter, and was plumbed into the cooling system. The Volvo was only a 4 cyl.. IIRC you could spin the oil cooler off and install the oil filter direct to the block, and the filter was a PER-1.

Larry

Thanks guys.
Larry,any pics of this set-up?
MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
I did a search and came up with a manual for the B18. I believe it was also used on the B20. The manual has several good pictures of the cooler, including a flow diagram. It's a 17MB PDF download here's the link;

http://volvo1800pictures.com/document/Se...ine_B18_B_D.pdf

Larry

Ignorance can be fixed Stupidity is forever
Contributor
Contributor
Duramax uses the same style cooler I think. May be another resource for this.

(edit) never mind after looking a pictures, the duramax would be extremely difficult to adapt to.

Last edited by 56er; 06/30/10 02:18 PM. Reason: more info.

"The first rule of overkill: You can never have too much overkill."
"Overkill is underrated."
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Here is one that can easily be used. It screws on the same fitting a filter goes to.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-Chevy-...=item56347fadb5

Just fab up the rest yourself.

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 316 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony
6,785 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available