Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
M
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
M
Hello all. I am Installing an offenhauser valve cover to a 250 Chevy. I have read, and have been told, that this valve cover will leak oil because there is no pvc provision. I realise the engine must be able to breath but was wondering what others have done to correct this problem. Not wanting to cut-up, grind, or install baffles into this aluminium cover. I have seen the offenhauser bolt on breather caps, and aftermarket pvc/oil cap but not sure if this combination will be sufficient to allow the engine to breath. Also what is the best gaskets members have used on the V/C and side plates.

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
Main problem I had was the cover is badly warped on the gasket surface.
Had to use a couple gaskets glued together.Plus I had machined the bottom gasket surface as much as I could w/out getting too thin,& it still was not straight.

I prefer the rubber gaskets over cork.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
S
Contributor
Contributor
S
I had the same issues as MBHD in that the gasket surface was not flat side to side or end to end. For that matter, neither was the head gasket surfaces. I ended up using a silicone gasket making material to fill the wider mismatches.

'38 Stude/292
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I'm not sure on the newer style engines but the valve cover gasket I got for my GMC from Best Gasket was the thickest and freshest one I have ever seen. Right Stuff from Permatex will seal it but it wont be fun to get back off. Maybe use it to stick the gasket to the cover. I like the bolt on breathers but have found them to be another source of leaks. Beater

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 336 guests, and 34 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB
6,784 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available