Become a Member
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Clifford seems real proud of this intake system and I wonder if anyone has put this on their 250 or 292. Clifford claims this setup will make more torque & HP than ANY SINGLE 4 BARREL intake. Could this be true..?

Last edited by Rusty Nuts; 12/03/10 12:55 AM.

IT'S BROKE, ARE YOU HAPPY NOW..?
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
On CLIFFORD'S home page under the 'News' tap, go to 'Chevy Facts' and this is what they say:

"This is our new dual 32-36 Weber carb system. $1,269.00 We can make more torque and horse power
with this system than any single 4 brl intake."

So Panic, what are ya telling me..?

D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
I think it's *possible*, that it could make more hp/tq than the *typical* 4bbl system.

* A pair of 32/36 WEbers is about 400cfm, about the same size as the 4bbl Holley's that run the fastest on a mild build. So there's enough airflow, at least for a 250 and a typical street cam.

* They are better located than a single 4bbl, so distribution probably better too.

* With a hot enough build, say a street/strip 292, this setup would likely run out of air and a single 600 Holley or Carter/Edel would catch up with it.

I think they have a nice idea - $1269 is kinda sticker shock though, that is more $$$$ than I have in my 250 and 292 altogether. So far, anyway.

Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Hey Deuce,

I too think it could be possible for the reasons you mentioned. Not sure if low end torque would benefit from two carbs and was looking for someone who might have won the Lottery and purchased this pricey combo. I've got a single on my 250 and was thinking I might try duals when I get a 292.

Thanks for sharing you thoughts.

Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Mr Panic,

Thanks for your input, but I was looking for someone's experience with this setup, not an English lesson from someone with an 'AXE TO GRIND'...

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
 Originally Posted By: Rusty Nuts
Mr Panic,

Thanks for your input, but I was looking for someone's experience with this setup, not an English lesson from someone with an 'AXE TO GRIND'...

\:o Hasn't seen one, hasn't tested one, didn't know they existed but knows they don't work because of poor word choice by Clifford. I know my 270 would turn a 9.5 if I just find the right words. I guess I shouldn't have settled for that English Minor. I could have been a famous Hot Rodder! \:\( Beater

Looks like Panic did his disappearing post trick again. Sorta' disrupts the flow. \:D

Last edited by Beater of the Pack; 12/05/10 01:16 PM. Reason: Panics pulled post

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
What it may come down to is a test of the cruise performance (A/F ratio to each cylinder) if this new setup were run as a double-progressive, like a typical dual quad v8.

Here is my thinking:
1. The two carb pads allow better distribution wide-open.
2. But, a pair of 32/36 webers is only about 400cfm at 1.5" Hg. An engine over about 200-220hp will want more.
3. Next up is the 38/38 weber, a pair of those is about 480cfm. That is enough for maybe 240-260hp.
4. That is a pretty fancy $1260 setup to have that low of a power limit.
5. Of course, the intake will mount twin 4bbls.
6. However, the smallest modern 4bbl is the 390 Holley. A pair of those would be 780cfm, enough to feed over 400hp, plenty for most of us, with bigger carbs waiting. So the setup is pretty much power-unlimited.

But - to get even a 292 six to cruise on BOTH 390 Holley primaries, that is a lot of cfm - lousy signal, soggy response, gas guzzler. The dual quad v8's faced this way back, and solved it by cruising on one carb's primaries. That way, the massive 1100-1200 cfm dual quad setups on the 427 Ford and 426 Hemi were cruising on just a 2bbl of about 250cfm.

Similarly - if this Clifford setup would cruise on the primary of just one of its twin carbs, it could cruise on just one 32/36 primary - super-efficient. Or, even with a pair of Holley 390s, it could cruise on just the primary of one carb - about 190cfm, the same CFM as the stock 292 1bbl.

Only question is, would the cylinder pair furthest away get a good air/fuel mix? That would now be a VERY long run to the furthest cylinders. Then again, the ratio of lengths - long/short - might still be better than the stock 1bbl.
Hmmm. Thoughts?

Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Mr Deuce,

You are, without a doubt, what Hot Rodding is all about. The scientific approach to 'How can one improve the process?'...
I could spend a life time bouncing ideas off your experience & insight.

Thanks again.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 192 guests, and 47 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available