Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
jsmay Offline OP
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
Hi Guys/Gals,
Just registered to the site, looking forward to learning a ton! I have had a few early chev's and have always loved the sound of the stovebolts.. Anyways, my current project is a 53' chevy stick car, real clean low miles.. I would like to hop it up a tad.. I have read the Frank McGurk book and have actually found a dual point conversion kit from mallory and just wanted to make sure its the proper set before I buy it.. it is a Mallory 25050 dual point kit for 6 cylinders.. the gentleman that has is said he was pretty sure it was for a chevy 6... any help would be great! Thank you, Jason

searching for vintage stovebolt speed equipment...
jsmay Offline OP
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
one other thing while I'm thinking of it... what coil should i use... stock or is there an aftermarket 6v I should get. I know pertronix sells a set up...could i use just the coil?

J
Contributor
Contributor
J
I used this system for 20 years on one of my racing engines. It was 12 volt and use one of their "box" coils. If you find one of the plates make sure you get the outside condenser which is getting harder to find. If staying with 6 volts any coil will do but VW 6 volt were known to be very good. I'm not sure you will see much improvement by just having dual points on a stocker.

If you can stand the look of it; a guy on E-Bay sells converted HEI's for Chevys and GMC's. There is also a guy in Yerrington Nevada that converts just about anything to an HEI or to power an MSD. Up to 3600 RPM a MSD is a super ignition.....Good Luck

216.158 MPH 12-Port 302 GMC on 70% 171.0 MPH 302 stock head on gasoline 7 years later
jsmay Offline OP
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
Thanks Jimmy six #35, I have a McGurk intake and corvette split manifold for it as well... yeah it comes with the mallory condensor too.. and extra points all is nos.

I just can't find any info on the older mallory part numbers to look up the 25050 application ...

thanks jason

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
If you do consider and electronic alternative, but don't want the HEI look, you can look at Pertronix, they offer an electronic conversion for most stock point type distributors.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 192 guests, and 47 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available