Become a Member
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
Have recently got a 40 plymouth convert and someone gave me the idea to use a jeep powertrain in it.

Who has knowledge about them.

Want to run it with a carb and have a auto O/d trans. Tom

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I've owned 2 Cherokees & 2 Grand Cherokees. One had the 4 banger and I liked it. Two had 4.0 sixes and I loved them. The V8 we have now is OK. The 4 cyl had a 5 speed and was fun to drive. I wish one of the 4.0s had been a 5 speed. Both 6s were injected. That is a good engine. Tom

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
Contributor
Contributor
Had a 82 Jeep Renegade with a 6 cyl. with a carb, and I don't remember if 4 or 5 speed. This thing ran great but loved gas, 14 mpg. I now have a 91 Wrangler with a 4 cyl., 5 speed and FI. This little motor has a lot of grunt. The mileage ranges from 14 to 20 depending on how i drive it. I understand the new six's are strong and the head design leaves a lot of options (12 port). These things come with a nice tube header...The 5 speed trans. looks just like a t-5

Jerry Davis II#4711

ol Smokey said "one test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Contributor
Contributor
 Originally Posted By: tlowe #1716
Have recently got a 40 plymouth convert and someone gave me the idea to use a jeep powertrain in it.

Who has knowledge about them.

Want to run it with a carb and have a auto O/d trans. Tom

Check out http://www.amcforum.com. Friendly place and lots of AMC geeks. I know the new six fairly well, but get fuzzy in the new stuff, past 83. The hot setup is the 4.0 and some of the better autos. A crap-ton of power, common parts, easy to mod, and available. And I know nothing more about 'em :-)

Though you gotta love AMCs conservatism -- I just found out the 04 water pump (serpentine reverse rotation) bolts right into the 1964 block! All sorts of parts swap back and forth. It's a great platform.

The AMC six is looong, and somewhat heavy. In exchange, 7 mains and it's bulletproof.

Oh yeah, the favorite hack of the moment is the 'stroker', a 258ci crank (longer stroke) in the 4.0 block (I think) for some 280ci! HELL YEAH TORQUE! :-)

A
Contributor
Contributor
A
Tom, that Jeep I drove over had the 4.0 6 and it has given me nothing but miles and miles of trouble free driving and got 23 MPG@70MPH. It was a '98 with 160,000 miles when I gave it to my daughter. I don't know what kind of 2WD trans bolts up but there has to be one. The rear ends generally come with 3.73's and are easy to find with posi and disc brakes. It would be a good choice!

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I'm pretty sure that the manual trans is a T5 with the Ford bolt pattern. I don't know what auto would fit it. With the EFI it would be a natural for Megasquirt. In the '80s there was a problem with exhaust manifolds warping. Tom

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
Q
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
Q
Tom, If you want to stick with a straight six, you could always find a 230 Tornado. It's an SOHC and supposed to breathe really good. Wait till you see the cam you're in for a surprise!
You could probably turbo it like you did your 250/292's pretty easily, it's a 12 port cross flow head so you may have to rig up the original manifold...

Newcomer
Newcomer
I'd go with the 4.0 EFi. The one below is 450hp, 400 ft/lbs

Peter Lechtanski

Peter Lechtanski
The Worlds Fastest Comanche project
E
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
E
Sounds like a perfect home for a stock 4200/4L60E with GM electronics. Get Langdon to split the stock exhaust manifold and away you go.

Its lighter than the jeep 6 and another 80 HP to boot.

Last edited by efi-diy; 10/14/10 06:22 PM.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them
J
Contributor
Contributor
J
 Originally Posted By: Pete Lechtanski
I'd go with the 4.0 EFi. The one below is 450hp, 400 ft/lbs

What did you do to that T5 to get it to take that much torque? How many miles/passes do you have on that setup?

If at first you don't succeed,
then read the directions and try again.
S
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
S
Tom:kind of late but saw this just now,don't know if You got it done or still waiting for answers.

Here's what I know about this: You should find a 4.0 the prefered years are 1991-1996 since they have the "good" head that flows appr. 209 cfm @.500 with 28" without any kind of work (can be ported to 240-250 cfm without to much effort)the older ones 1986-1990 does have 174 hp (20 less than the later)and works also.

Cliffords sells intakes for both models "Hi-port & Straight-port" but I prefer the Offenhauser Dualport made for the older 258 engine,it can easily be adapted to the 4.0-head.

All transmissions that fit behind the "old" 258 fits the 4.0 as well,I use a TC904 behind a 1989 4.0 with the flexplate and tq-converter from a 1973 Hornet,fits without any modifications,just a simple bolt-on...

The AMC/Jeep inlines are really nice to work on,mine is in a t-27 Hot Rod that I tried to make look a bit like it was built in the late fifties,so EFI and Electronic distributor was changed to Offy-intake and a Holley 4v and a stock points-distributor just for the right "look" "Ignitor inside..."everything drops right in:no modifications.

Even changed the waterpump to the older one with a v-belt since there was no serpentine-belts around in that era I would like the car to belong in,same stuff there,just a bolt-in.

I could go on and on about this but since I don't know if You sorted it all out allready or gone the everybody-got-one-Chebby-way,I think I stop now and if I can enlighten You some more just send me a PM or such:then I can tell You more about this stuff and maybe a bit about how simple it is to build a low-buck stroker out of them...I've done it and I'm just a stupid Swede...

Str8-6 Hell Yeah

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 119 guests, and 37 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB
6,784 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available