Become a Member
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Contributor
Contributor
Never owned,knew of,seen,are heard of a Edelbrock that ran good enough to suit me.. They RUN me out of talent in a hurry !!!

Jerry Davis II#4711

ol Smokey said "one test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
J
Contributor
Contributor
J
Sean Murphy of SMI Fuel Systems in Huntington Beach does the Holley on our LSR roadster and is an expert with Q-jets. He is well known for them in NHRA "stock" racing. He doesn't have a website that I know but has been very helpful to anyone who calls and talks to him. I would definatly use a Q-jet on a street engine because of it's versatility.....Good Luck

216.158 MPH 12-Port 302 GMC on 70% 171.0 MPH 302 stock head on gasoline 7 years later
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
The reason I used the Edelbrock was a suggestion from Tom Langdon, and so far I'm happy. I think a lot of it is personal preference and tuning abilities. I'm cdertain there's people on this board that would say that a (insert name) carb is the best and the rest are a pile of (insert term). The same would go for ignition systems, intakes etc. Personally I like whatever works best and keeps working, if I find something better I'll switch so now I'm going to a U-Pull It yard to find a V6 van with a carb to keep and rebuild for a spare and maybe try it.

'45 Ford PU
66 Valiant wagon, leaning tower of power.
79 Chevy C10 w/250
02 PT Cruiser Convertable
Contributor
Contributor
WELL SAID !!! I agree..J

Jerry Davis II#4711

ol Smokey said "one test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
I think a lot of it is personal preference and tuning abilities.

Some of it has to do with your prior experience. If you tried everything you could think of, and it still leaked, blah you're not likely to recommend one.
I've had nothing but good results with QJ since my 1st adventure in 1970, so I'm comfortable with them.
OTOH, Carter ThermoQuads make me nervous, even though my 1974 Dart 360 runs just fine.
Some older stuff can be sorted out, if you just do some homework. Here's an older example for Harleys: http://www.victorylibrary.com/L-BK.htm

Major Contributor
Major Contributor
Gee I wonder who that is (Victory Library)??? I have Linkert cars on my VL (36) and my UL (38) and never had a problem with either of them except for dirt in the needle seats. Now waiting to see what you come up with for the 6's.

'45 Ford PU
66 Valiant wagon, leaning tower of power.
79 Chevy C10 w/250
02 PT Cruiser Convertable
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
A well tuned Q-Jet is hard to beat for both economy and power. I don't understand them but I don't bad mouth them. \:\)

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
P
Contributor
Contributor
P
Doug Roe was probably the first guy out with a Rochester book, back in the early '70 that covered Q-jets. He used them on as little as Chevettes and up to of course the 455 Buicks,Pontiacs,Olds, and the 500 inch Eldos. Like a Weber almost every thing is tuneable. Many parts are getting hard to find since everybody has gone to FI. They had a double pumper features, and with the metering rods both primary and secondary,you could change the sizes as well as the tapers, a lot of flexibility, adjustable secondary air valve,different rate power piston springs and flowed stock to 800(+). Wish I had 4 or 5 more of them now. Mercedes, on their carb'd V8's had their version of them. Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
Some QJ negatives:
Most manifolds need an adapter, and these typically have very narrow gasket surfaces and are leak-prone.
QJ has small bowl capacity - harmless in an L6.
Tuning the secondary needles by hangar letter is pretty tough to learn - I'm still fuzzy on the effects so I work around it.
There are several combination of primary MJ + metering rod that provide very similar cruise mixture for a specific engine, and as many as your patience permits should be compared.
The fuel inlet fitting is easy to strip - common cause of cheap price.

P
Contributor
Contributor
P
thats what they make jb weld for

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 445 guests, and 37 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony
6,785 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available