Print Thread
Rate Thread
M
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
M
Hey Tom,

I would like to see if you can install a T4.96 turbine housing on your Elky & tell us your results,weather your stall is perfect,too high ,too low etc for a .96 housing.

You would not even need to run a 1/8 mile or 1/4 mile 60 ft will be fine. But running a whole 1/4 would be the best w/all your times.

Maybe you can ask for a fund raiser from the BB to do testing on your turbo & car & not cost you any $ ,just your time.

I think guys will pitch in & a housing does not cost that much.

Just a thought.
Anyone interested in the outcome?
I sure am.

MBHD
Got no response from the PM I sent you, so I thought I'd post it here.

12 port SDS EFI
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
Hank why won't you just give it a rest. Some people get tired of the juvenile attitude.

Last edited by jalopy45 #4899; 12/26/10 07:22 PM. Reason: spull'n

'45 Ford PU
66 Valiant wagon, leaning tower of power.
79 Chevy C10 w/250
02 PT Cruiser Convertable
M
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
M
 Originally Posted By: jalopy45 #4899
Hank why won't you just give it a rest. Some people get tired of the juvenile attitude.

Not sure what you are referring to?
If you dont like my posts, then don't read them, it is not directed torwards you ,is it?

Tlowe has stated a T4 .96 housing would be perfect for a 250 CI engine.

I would like to see it work in his 292 application(bigger engine BTW) & I am pretty sure other people would like to know also.
He is known for being in Car Craft for giving expert turbo advise on inlines, is he not? I am not sure,did not get a copy,they were all sold out.

If you do not have anything good to say , then??
MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
 Originally Posted By: Mean buzzen half dozen A.K.A. Hank
Hey Tom,

I would like to see if you can install a T4.96 turbine housing on your Elky & tell us your results,weather your stall is perfect,too high ,too low etc for a .96 housing.

You would not even need to run a 1/8 mile or 1/4 mile 60 ft will be fine. But running a whole 1/4 would be the best w/all your times.

Maybe you can ask for a fund raiser from the BB to do testing on your turbo & car & not cost you any $ ,just your time.

Just a thought.
I sure am.

MBHD
Got no response from the PM I sent you, so I thought I'd post it here.

I didn't even hear the air raid sirens. Drowned out by the Christmas Carolers I guess. No peace on earth for us. \:o \:D

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
M
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
M
We are still waiting for the New Year!

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Get it all out now so you don't have to start the new year under pressure.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
M
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
M
The question @ hand is a legitimate test that I think should be tested & brought out for discussion.

Think of doing a test like this just as the one testing done between the Offy intake & the Clifford,real world testing as a BB member did.

If people already know the answer to this test,then maybe post your thoughts or actual testing you have done.

Or from other forum posts that have done comparisions.

I have not personnaly done a test between using a turbine housing of .63 then switch to a .96 so I am interested myself in the findings.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Hey Tom,

Just a thought.
I sure am.

MBHD
Got no response from the PM I sent you, so I thought I'd post it

here.

Seems like a lot of wasted time and effort to just test and try one turbine housing. Why don't you take it upon yourself to spearhead the project and get your own funding from BB members and do it. Im sure you could get a lot of people to help you out with it.....

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
What was wrong with the question he asked????

Originally Posted By: CNC-Dude #5585
Hey Tom,

Just a thought.
I sure am.

MBHD
Got no response from the PM I sent you, so I thought I'd post it

here.

Seems like a lot of wasted time and effort to just test and try one turbine housing. Why don't you take it upon yourself to spearhead the project and get your own funding from BB members and do it. Im sure you could get a lot of people to help you out with it.....

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
M
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
M
[quote=CNC-Dude #5585 Seems like a lot of wasted time and effort to just test and try one turbine housing. Why don't you take it upon yourself to spearhead the project and get your own funding from BB members and do it. Im sure you could get a lot of people to help you out with it..... [/quote]

Reason being is Tlowes car is all set-up w/a T-4 turbo.
You are correct about BB members wanting me to run a test & help out for some test like this,that's for the indorcement.

If Tlowe would switch to a .96 housing it would not be just a comparision for one other housing,because he already used & ran a .63 turbine housing, so in reality it would be a 3 turbine housing comparision.

A .63, .84. & a .96 good info for the inliner community.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I think it would be a good opportunity for any one to jump in and do the testing, Tom cant do it all. Since you already have guys wanting you to do it.....jump in, the water is nice and warm. You have run your car before with a turbo like this haven't you, might get you motivated to get it running again if you can get some help with a project like this.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
M
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
M
I do not think it would not be a good comparision if I do this test on a completely different vehicle.
Besides,, Tlowe has already tested & drove w/two housing A/R's,one more or even 2 would be more complete comparision.

I have not run Garrett/styled/ based turbos, only old school B,E, F, flow compressor wheeled turbos,name slips my mind,oh yeh, Rajay turbos, & Mitsubishi turbos.

My engine is not altogether,& I dont have the time w/small kids @ home & a wife w/different work schedule than mine.Meaning, I do the todler sitting,cooking feeding when wife is working,then I get up early to go to work.

Come on Tlowe ,how bout if I find a housing for you to use,not sure I can,,, but I'll try.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
[quote=Twisted6 I.I #3220]What was wrong with the question he asked????

It seemed strange that Hank would ask Tom to do a test when he was so negative about the Dyno tests and is always putting on Tom's findings. Also that he would suggest that Tom collect money to pay for it when he was against the donations for the other tests. Why have someone who's technique you don't respect conduct a test for results you think are important? It just sounded disingenuous. Beater

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Hank,
Just got back from a long, family filled Christmas weekend. Ate enough food for 3 people too!
It is awfully nice of you to prop me up for the testing. Something smells funny.

I have ran my car with 2 different turbos, very happy with the 1 that is in it now. 62-1 P trim .84 housing also on a street driven 292 for those that do not know. All my turbos have been T4 housings, even on the Turbo 250 mule.

I do understand your frustration with your own project. But am not going to feel too sorry for you. I have been raising 3 kids same as you. Most of my work was done when my kids were close to your kids ages. Believe me, you will not get more time later, life gets busier as they get older. Sometimes I feel as though there is not time to sh*t, p*ss or fart! I do also understand if there is not funding for fun projects. Worked hard for what I have.
I have no interest in pulling my car apart to test your theory's. Mine works great for what I want and it keeps getting better. Ran a turbo that was too tight and regretted it. That also puts a dent in the pocket that is not needed. So now, I simply try to aim people at the setup that I think will work the best. Simple as that.
Thanks for bringing this topic up.

P.S.
It is 14 degrees here and about 1 foot of snow. I expect it to be a bad winter, lots of shop work will get done.

2nd P.S.
What do you mean by this ?
Your quote

Got no response from the PM I sent you, so I thought I'd post it here.MBHD

Never recieved a PM from you. Tom

Last edited by tlowe #1716; 12/27/10 01:04 AM.

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

M
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
M
 Originally Posted By: Beater of the Pack
[quote=Twisted6 I.I #3220] It seemed strange that Hank would ask Tom to do a test when he was so negative about the Dyno tests and is always putting on Tom's findings. Also that he would suggest that Tom collect money to pay for it when he was against the donations for the other tests. Why have someone who's technique you don't respect conduct a test for results you think are important? It just sounded disingenuous. Bearer

I was never against the dyno tests,my main objection was that an engine dyno dose not tell all you need to know about a certain combo as compared to actually running those combos in a car.

When did I ever say I was against Tlowe collecting donations?
Answer,never.

Like I said, I have never used a T4 .96 housing on a 250 or a 292 engine ,I would think it would help out people here who are contemplating a turbocharged install.
Most all turbocharged info in books & on the net are about V-8's & 4 cylinders & V-6's, not much on L6's from what I've seen.

Tlowes technique is correct for what he wants to do to vehicles.

From what I see from people here on the BB seem to know that I am an idiot & do not know anything that I am posting about & Tlowe is the person to talk to & get info from is,which is fine with me.
That is why I would like to see this type of testing on different A/F turbine housings so everyone could benefit from.

BTW, Tlowe, I seemed to have more time to work on projects before I had my kids.
I will slowly be able to work more on my projects when I can actually not have to constanly watch them, they are getting better & more responsible as they get older.
I sent a PM on 12-16-10,guess you never got it?

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Just checked again, no PM's from you, got some from other guy's. Try copy and pasting the one you can see and send again.
It will get better when they are more responsible. But I have found that then they start getting involved with dance, 4H, FFA, soccer, tee ball, softball, basketball, football and the list goes on and on. You will not believe how much time is involved and money is small amounts. It's all good though.

Inliner Member 1716

M
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
M
The PM I sent you was the same as I posted here.
No reason to send it again as it is posted here?

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
One thing that may help calm you down. I do plan on installing the 250 Dyno mule into a different 65 Elco and running it. Starting with the setup as tested and then start turning up the boost. It will be somewhat different, a intercooler will be installed too. Hopefully yet this winter. Then I can compare how it boosts on a engine dyno vs in chassis.

Last edited by tlowe #1716; 12/27/10 10:53 AM. Reason: more info

Inliner Member 1716

Major Contributor
Major Contributor
Where does the help line start?? Are you going to use a SPA manifold?

Last edited by jalopy45 #4899; 12/27/10 11:38 AM. Reason: type ???

'45 Ford PU
79 Chevy C10 w/250
M
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
M
Where does the help line start?? Are you going to use a SPAL manifold?

Spal are electric fans,& other stuff. http://www.spalusa.com/store/main.aspx
SPA is a turbo manifold made in Brazil.
Unless you mean something else?

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
Just a typo at 0630 hours I corrected it, but I had fans on my mind as one of my temp sensors has gone south. So Hank are you planning on helping Tom?

'45 Ford PU
79 Chevy C10 w/250
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Yes , I am using the exact same SPA manifold that was used on the 250 Dyno mule.

Me and the 10 year old boy will be doing it.

Last edited by tlowe #1716; 12/27/10 12:01 PM.

Inliner Member 1716

M
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
M
So Hank are you planning on helping Tom?

I have not heard from Tom needing help.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
Contributor
Contributor
Too much talk is spent on A/R ratios and not enough on turbine sizes, the a/r is to fine tune the turbine. There is also a definite relationship between the comp. wheel and the turbine wheel since the they are connected by a common shaft.

On my 292 I have run Q and S wheels with .81 .96 housings on both. the spool up is the same on the trans brake or rolling my foot in it on the street. The only change is the turbine back pressure.

Q @ 25 psi = 50 psi on turbine
S @ 25 psi = 35 psi on turbine

On other projects I have done 40 cu.in. does not change much i.e. 250 vs 292.

Just food for thought!

Harry

Last edited by Turbo-6; 12/28/10 01:15 AM.

Turbo-6
M
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
M
Turbo-6,
Yes I agree, what is your stall on your converter Harry?

Overall ,how did you like running & "S" trim over the "Q" trim ?
I am thinking about going w/that "S trim" on my 250 L6.
MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
M
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
M
 Originally Posted By: tlowe #1716
Yes , I am using the exact same SPA manifold that was used on the 250 Dyno mule.

Me and the 10 year old boy will be doing it.

Sounds like a good family project.

Curious as to the size of that old turbine wheel on the old school turbo used on the 250 turbo dyno, must be small I would imagine.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
Contributor
Contributor
I like the S trim, you do not want any back pressure or at least the least amount.

Stall speed is proportional to the torque applied to the converter, on the street it's about 2500 on the trans brake it's 5000 RPM. But some day I would like to try a tighter converter I think it would help my car.

Harry

Turbo-6
M
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
M
 Originally Posted By: Turbo-6
I like the S trim, you do not want any back pressure or at least the least amount.

Stall speed is proportional to the torque applied to the converter, on the street it's about 2500 on the trans brake it's 5000 RPM. But some day I would like to try a tighter converter I think it would help my car.

Harry

OK, Harry,

so when switching from a "Q" trim to the "S" trim,it spooled just as good,? & no other changes to the engine or trans during the change?

2500 to 5000 RPM is a big difference w/just a trans brake.

I know my friends 434 SBC would brake stall to 4500 RPM & w/trans brake it would only get another 500 RPM to 5000.

On my V-6 Syclone engine I can hold the brakes from 1 psi to aprrox 20 PSI & the engine will only get to 2100 RPMs.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
Contributor
Contributor
MBHD,
No problem with spool on either setup, everything else the same.

What I meant my converter acts like 2500 stall when you drive it normal without boost, if you roll your foot into the throttle it does't flash to 5000 unless you use the trans brake. Using the foot brake it just rolls the car foward at about 15-18 psi.

Harry

Turbo-6

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (47Thriftmaster250, 41 Coupe), 344 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB
6,784 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available