Print Thread
Rate Thread
D
dracko Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
D
Bought one of those holley/weber 2bbl carbs from Langdon Stovebolt. Got it to idle decent and has okay low end power but midrange and up it has very little power. Its a stuggle to get it up to 40mph and even my old worn out Rochester would do 65mph.

Wondering if anybody running one of these carbs on their 230 could let me know what size jets they are using for the primary, secondary, and even the idle jet sizes would be helpful.

Gonna pull the top off it tomorrow and make sure a jet or something isn't clogged. I'm not expecting big power increases from this carb, but I figured it would at least be as good as the 1bbl rochester.

Last edited by dracko; 12/13/10 02:58 AM.
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
Hey Dracko,
Did ya call Tom Langdon..?
I put one of these carbs on my 250 and it works great.

IT'S BROKE, ARE YOU HAPPY NOW..?
D
dracko Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
D
Yeah I called him up, he had me switch the primary size 50 idle jet out with the size 60 that was on the secondary, it helped with the idle mixture screw setting (2.5 turns out), but truck is still has no midrange to top end power. I'm gonna have to pull the top off and see what jets its running.

would you happen to know what you have for idle jets? they're the small brass screws going in each side near the top of the bowl. should have a number punched in the side.

Active BB Member
Active BB Member
I haven't looked. Since it was working so well, I didn't mess with it. I would think my carb would be as yours, but if I find something different I will let ya know.

D
dracko Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
D
Yeah, pretty sure Tom would set them up the same. i'll do a little diggin into it and maybe something is blocked or clogged up.

D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
I've never run one on a six but ran the stock 32/36 Weber on my 122cid Pinto about 30 years ago. Headers and a 239-239 duration solid cam. No power below 3000, turned about 7000. The Beemers of the day could not stay with that little grocery getter.

Thru the muffler it liked
Primary
50 Idle
132 Jet
190 Bleed

Secondary
65 Idle
160 Jet
180 Bleed

With headers open, I'd change to 135 jet and 160-180 bleed on the primary. Even a Pinto sounds pretty good with open headers at 7000.

The 32/36 should add about 2ftlb and 5hp to your stock 230cid, if not then something seems wrong. I would guess it will be a whole lot better on gas too, the old Rochester 1bbl is not too good in that department. Simple, cheap, easy to rebuild, but not too good on gas.

I'm getting tempted to try this carb on my 250 or 292 Nova.
Might have an issue with hood clearance -

Questions - how tall is the adapter?
How tall is the carb, from base to air cleaner pad?

O
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
O
Check that the secondary is opening all the way at full throttle.:)

D
dracko Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
D
Hey Deucecoupe, thanks for the info. its always good to have some numbers to refer to. currently i'm using the 60 idle jet in the primary and a 50 in the secondary...i was really hesitant because that just doesn't make sense, but Tom assured me the secondary idle jet doesn't really do much. i'm thinking it should be a 75. Any idea where I can get jets for this carb? I hear it doesn't use the standard Holley jets.

I snapped a couple pics of the carb height. I think its also discussed over on stevesnovasite.com

Oiler, thanks definitely could be the culprit but its functioning fine.

N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
Sounds like a clogged jet or bleed.

IIRC they have both an idle correction jet and a jet for the "main" circuit on both barrels.

Not that I'm THE expert, but the simpler Webber designs I've dealt with were like that and I've read these are the same.

Good luck. \:\)

My, what a steep learning curve. Erik II#5155
D
dracko Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
D
Yes nexx, that is correct, it finally warmed up a bit so I got around to pulling the top off the carb and checking those main circuit jets.

Primary
60 Idle
137 Main
190 Bleed

Secondary
Idle 50
180 Main
180 Bleed

In comparison to DeuceCoupes numbers, these jet sizes are not making sense to me. I am definitely no expert, but shouldn't the main jet on the primary be larger since DC was running a 132 on a 122cid engine and this is a 137 on a 230cid?

Should the main and bleed jets be the same size?? I'm gonna give Tom a call and see what he thinks..

Oh, and the carb looked very clean inside. I sprayed the passages out with carb cleaner and compressed air to be sure though. This is my only vehicle so I'd really like to get his figured out.

Last edited by dracko; 12/14/10 02:56 PM.
P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
4 cyl. & 6 cyl. = apples & oranges.

Active BB Member
Active BB Member
Hey Dracko,

The guy you need to contact is Mr. Bud Pauge at Redline Weber.

email: budp@worldpac.com

Tell him what ya got and he can suggest the proper 'Jet-Pac' and hook you up.

Rusty Nuts

D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
actually the jets seem a bit rich.
Usually jets don't go with the number of cubic inches, but rather other factors - cam, overlap, open headers, intake pulse signal, etc. Open headers tends to like rich jets, so if the 132 and 160 jets worked in my Pinto, I'd GUESS that your 230 would be happy with 137 and 180 jets. In any case they shouldn't be way way off so seems the carb should run good - outrun your Rochester at least.

The jet and bleed sizes are usually NOT the same, no reason to worry there.

You might try blocking the secondary SHUT - just make sure the primary can fully open. It won't run great - down about 25hp vs stock - but it should still feel better than a stock 194cid. If it feels faster on the primary alone, you've at least narrowed down the problem - secondary may not be feeding fuel, or feeding too much. That 180 secondary jet seems rich to me.

D
dracko Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
D
Hey Rusty Nuts, thanks alot for that contact. I emailed him and he gave me a very, very informative reply. Seems he thinks I should be running 145 main jets in the primary, I also talked to Tom yesterday and he thinks the 137 should be fine. So not too sure where to go with this.

Thanks for the additional info DC, I may try blocking off the secondary by disconnecting the progressive linkage and just running on the primary.

Although I don't think that would change much because the truck bogs out anyways before I push the pedal hard enough to open the secondary.

Gonna try to get a jet-pac and do some tests. as the saying goes, "one test is worth a thousand expert opinions.."

Active BB Member
Active BB Member
i've been buying my Holley/Webber jets for years from Pegasus at 1800-688-6946 ask for a catalogue. Petasusautoracing.com.

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M

12 port SDS EFI
N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
I've not bought any carb parts from the folks at Pegasus, but they have been good people to deal with on anything I have ordered there. \:\)

My, what a steep learning curve. Erik II#5155

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 420 guests, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101
6,786 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available