Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#63397 02/21/11 03:23 AM
50 GMC Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
I have a pile of GMC engine parts (I hauled over 7 tons in two trips!) from a gentleman who spied my truck at a show and came over to talk to me about it. At any rate - among the piles of stuff, I came across these -

I fixtured them up to a 302 exhaust manifold (clamped and bolted as pictured) and the port spacing and size is identical.

The center dump piece is cracked and not worth fixing - but I was thinking that it wouldn't be that hard to fab up a piece to go between these two and use to mount a turbo . . .

Any thoughts?

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Ken, that center dump concept is very similar to turbo manifolds being sold now for the 250/292 engines, so it should be just as effective as those that are out there.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
50 GMC Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
I am considering this mostly because I already have it.

I am thinking that I can put these into my milling machine and use an inside out boring bar to clean up the outlets and ensure they are round.

Then get a piece of thick wall DOM that I can bore the ends to match the OD of the cleaned up outlets - and match inner diameter of the outlets and then machine a flange mount and weld it together.

Not sure if I will have problems with the casting / steel interface with temperature swings.

Any concerns?

Contributor
Contributor
Ken,
Make a pipe that slips over both ends with a turbo flange welded to the side, but weld only one side and allow the other side to float so it can expand and contract as it wants, similar to what I run on my 37 chevy.

Harry

Turbo-6
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Nice find! What is the original application for that type of manifold?
Bring the 2 halves out to each side of a divided turbo housing. Put the wastegate at this location. Trying to vent both sides if possible.

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

50 GMC Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
I'll draw something up in SolidWorks and see what it looks like.

I don't know what the original application is - I can only guess that it was for a 270 or 302 in a big truck. It has GMC cast into it - and the passages have nice gentle curves to them.

Not sure how to have a common waste gate while trying to run divided passages - I guess I could have an opening that goes into the divider. We will see what it looks like in CAD.

50 GMC Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Ok - I messed around a bit with SolidWorks - still not sure how the waste gate will hook up but I have a couple of ideas.

The information I have read on the web says the wastegate should be oriented 45 degrees to the exhaust gas flow - well, with the flow coming from two directions 180 degrees from one another, I don't see how that will work.

Anyone have any dimensions on a wastegate valve?

Contributor
Contributor
Ken,

No need to divide, setups making well over 1000 HP with wastegate at 90* to exhaust flow, only makes waste gate more efficent.

As I stated slipfit really helps expansion problems.

Harry

Turbo-6
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
Nice Modeling work, KEN!

Loud Pipes Saves Lives!
N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
It's too bad there isn't a twin port sandwich plate type wastegate around anymore (not that I was able to find, when I was looking \:\( ).

My, what a steep learning curve. Erik II#5155

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (47Thriftmaster250, 41 Coupe), 344 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB
6,784 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available