Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#64016 03/31/11 11:24 PM
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
It's time to get prepared to correct my 'Hee-Haw' carb and I remember it being discussed on this board in the past (a shrill whistling sound with any demand on engine), but I can't seem to dig it up now when I need it. Anyone have any help please? Any clues that might help keep me from missing something would be greatly appreciated.

1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
Can't help you with that. But glad it is not blowing bubbles.

You need to update your picture!

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

Active BB Member
Active BB Member
If I had one whistling like that I would use some sort of Wd-40 or ether to spray around the base of the carb to check if you have leaks.... while it's running of course.... the engine will pick up rpm like you are throttling it....

jmho

Humble newby

Humble Newby
J
Contributor
Contributor
J
I maybe off on this since I did it in 1966 but I remember a Carter AFB that was standard equipment for a Pontiac that controled it's idle with a large screw centered on the front of the carb. With a non stock air filter it did whistle and sounded a lot like a Rochester FI unit. I had one on my 62 Chevy II I put a V8 in in 1965. I later got a 1961 FI unit so I could hear the whistle for real...That's one coupe I wish I had back......JD

216.158 MPH 12-Port 302 GMC on 70% 171.0 MPH 302 stock head on gasoline 7 years later
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Tom - Bubbles are still there but the new AFCO radiator doesn't have that baffle in it like the oem one that brings all of them bubbles over to the filler neck to MAKE JOE CRAZY! And the NAPA test kit proved that the bubbles weren't from combustion (whew!. And I'll make a new Avatar next week if we have a sunny day (and I can locate that program that produces them). The link below has the best I have at the moment. It's being wet-sanded and buffed as I type this.

Canepa Twin - already tried that - no joy. There was a discussion on here about acoupla 3 years ago that addressed it but I've searched and searched and searched and can't dig up a thing (probably my 'digital ignorance'). I can't even remember the guy's name (CRS) and I haven't seen him posting for a long time but I think he has a shop in Boston or Ma. anyway and I was hoping maybe someone else would remember it or maybe the resident 'Guru', aka WebMaster, might be able to help me pull it up?

Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Just located my Members List and I believe Mike Gallant (NE Chapter Head)is who I was thinking of. If he doesn't pop up here soon I'll have to try the contact info in the roster.

M
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
M
Had some computer problems among other things but now I have a new chip box and I'll be stopping in more often as time permits.

Joe called me on the phone this afternoon and we discussed the whistle while you squirt Edelbrock. I've never had one that whistled. Joe indicated the carb was fairly new when he bought it. The whistle is not there at idle and he reports the idle is good so that seems to eliminate most of the usual problems like base gaskets and vacuum connections with the exception of the ported vacuum nipple which he is going to check out.

Anxious to hear what he discovers and hope it is something simple.

Mike, Northeast Chapter

Mike G #4355
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Well, maybe next week...While I thought s&b was going on, actually 'back burnered' was going on ____again,________some more,________etc. Latest promise; They're staying to sand it tonite and coming in tomorrow to buff it.(promise #999)

Contributor
Contributor
Search for 'whistle', there was a post in '04 but not much more was decided than has been here so far. I think I will go with the non-stock air cleaner theory, they are also called 'silencers' in some cases.

Tim

Tim Tenold
I.I.#498
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Tim - Ok, What about this last thread in the 'whistle' search dated 08-18-03?

Engines » A 250 head question #888-08-18-2003 12:23

Mine makes the same whistle with either of my 2 heads and both have the air holes. one has allen screws for plugs and the one I was just able to check has big brass hex headed plugs and there's a hole under each in the exhaust port for that 'whistle' effect and this is starting to not look like 'fun to fix' but first I've got Mike G.'s tips to try on the carb and I've also got a big hugemongus air cleaner to see if it just needs an 'intake muffler' but I think I have interference there with the brake master cyl.
Anyway, plenty to do when the painters are done. Thanks for the clues guys.

R
Contributor
Contributor
R
Joe, old mechanics trick: get a 3 foot piece of 3/8 rubber hose. Hold one end to your ear then move the other end all over the carb. When you get to the whistle you'll hear it real well.

It also works for leaks, clicks, etc.

Ron

Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Thanks Ron. That is one of the checks I used a few days ago but could only check at idle (no load) as we're 'empty nesters' and my boys are about 18mi across town, but I'm putting that on the list too.The painter was wet sanding today but only got about half done before he had an 'emergency at home'.

Tom. - New Temporary Avatar.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 336 guests, and 34 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB
6,784 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available