Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
JimRJ Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
I need some advice on some initial carb tuning changes for my model 8007 390 cfm Holley. Here’s my situation:

The car is a 1965 Chev Nova station wagon. It weighs 3059 pounds without the driver. I don't drive the car much around town other than to get to the drag strip which is only about five miles from my house. The primary use for the car is the drag strip with an occasional weekend car show. The 230 ci inliner was a rebuilt engine when I bought the car three years ago and didn't have many miles on the rebuild. It has been bored .040 over and is a “standard” rebuild without balancing, or any special lower-end work; thus, I limit the rpms to 6000 just to be safe.

The rear end is a 4.11 positraction. I've been running 24 inch tires, which means I'm through the 1/4 mile traps at about 4800 rpms. I have been shifting the Powerglide at around 6000 rpms. The PG has had a rebuild, a shift kit installed, and I'm running a 3000 stall speed converter. I can foot-brake it and the rpms climb to 3000 before the rear tires break loose. I usually launch the car at around 2800 rpms.

The headwork has been done by Tom Lowe. It includes 1.94 intake valves, 1.60 exhaust valves, bolt-in lumps, ported head, 3/8 screw-in studs, and performance valve job. Compression ratio is about 9:1. The cam is a Schneider 295H grind with .510 lift, intake is 224 duration at .050” and exhaust is 230, with lobe separation of 110.

I’m running an Offy intake manifold with a Holley model 8007 390 cfm 4-barrel carb. I use Langdon headers with 2¼” exhaust system with a cut-out near the driver’s door. I use a Pertronix electronic ignition. The distributor has been recurved and is all-in at 3000 rpms. I normally run about 32 to 36 degrees total.

I’ve been to the drag strip once this year since the head work was done, along with the new cam and the 4-barrel intake system. I got in three runs with a best ¼-mile time of 16.8 and 79.3 mph. My best 60’ time of the three runs was 1.989.

This is my first 4-barrel carb on the car and I need some tuning suggestions. My questions are: The carb came with 50 jets on the primary side. I’ve purchased 52 and 54. What should I start with? DO I change the secondary side to the same jets? Do you have any suggestions for a power valve change? It’s a 65 now and I can purchase a 45 or a 35. I’ve purchased a quick-change secondary diaphragm spring kit. Holley provides a chart with the kit that is supposed to help with choosing one of seven different springs. Of course, the chart is not at all designed for my combination. I’ve posted the chart here: http://s1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd449/jimrj/Chart/?action=view¤t=Chart.jpg

Where do you think I should start? It has the plain color spring now. I don’t mind experimenting; in fact, that will be fun. But my question is: Where do you think I should begin my experimentation?

Of course, I also take general suggestions for changes/improvements. The goal is quicker and faster, right?

Thanks for your help.

R
Contributor
Contributor
R
Leave the stock jets in and start tuning the secondary opening rate. Start with the short Yellow spring. Watch your 60' times.

Also try leaving just above an idle and let the converter "flash". Again, watch your 60' times.

After you get the best 60' times start playing with the jetting and jet for the best MPH.

Ron

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Adding to what Ron said.
You will find the power valve opening immediately with a 6.5". I would install the 3.5 unit. A vacum gauge is a nice tuning tool. Tom

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
Adding a bit more,, use a wide band o2 reader to get your A/F ratios correct & much faster to tune than trial & error & track testing.
It takes the guess work out of tuning. Like reading plugs, etc.
I use a LM1 for tuning my Syclone
http://www.trackdogracing.com/website/fuel_timing/LM1.htm

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
JimRJ Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Ron, Tom, and Hank: Thanks for your help and I'll start experimenting. Jim

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 192 guests, and 47 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available