Print Thread
Rate Thread
T
tom c Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
T
I have my 54 235 engine mounted in my 40 sedan with side motor mounts. The vacuum advance on the 54 distributor hits the mount bracket I'm using. The vac advance clamps around the body of the distributor approx one quarter of an inch below the "big" part of the distributor.I'm thinking about moving the vac adv unit up and making a spacer to go under it, between the advance and the engine block where the dist mounts. I believe that will give the clearance I need. I know that the distributor MUST go down fully into the engine so the bottom of the shaft will turn the oil pump.I am aware that a different advance came on engines that used side mounts , but they are very hard to find. I have one on a 261 engine but I have plans for the 261 for the near future and want to leave it on the 261. What do you 235/261 guys think?Thank You

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Can you grind the clearance you need out of the mount. Can you show us a picture of what you have, that might help with more suggestions.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
Contributor
Contributor
Chevs of the 40s does sell the 53-54 vacuum advance with the offset needed to clear the sidemounts. Not inexpensive. You might try the swap forum here and at the Stovebolt.com site.

Hoyt, Inliner #922

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 192 guests, and 47 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available