Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
D
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
D
Hello Everyone, I was a member awhile back and couldn't get into my old account so here i am.

I have a 292 in a Model T and i need to build a head for it. Its pretty stock other than a header and Dual Carbs on a Offy intake.

Whats to know about finding a good head? I may want to build this motor up a little more in the future.

What is the round coil that can be used with the GM HEI for these 6's so i can get rid of the ugly square one.

1926 Model T Roadster, 292 Chevy Powered. Pretty Stock Engine with Dual Holley 94's...
D
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
D
Anyone tell me what years have the better heads to start with? Are they all basically the same?

1926 Model T Roadster, 292 Chevy Powered. Pretty Stock Engine with Dual Holley 94's...
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
There are no really good years. Some guys prefer the early year heads with no smog tube holes (63-72?). They all work up the same. I have found the later mexican cast heads to be thicker and heavier(82ish-87 ish).
I offer headwork and details can be found on my website.

For the dist use a ext coil HEI, these came on 75-78? air cond cars. You can use any coil you want. They are on Ebay used all the time. Just through a curve kit in and a adjustable vac can. Tom

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

N
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
N
I suggest you talk to Self Racing from Durant, OK. They are the real inline head guru's in my book. I have a 292 and they did the head for me. After that head went on I experienced a whole different performing engine. They do have a website too. I think it is Self racing.com
Normbc9

1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
Here is the link http://selfracing.com/ and you can be rest asured they won't be useing a sawzal on your Head.And it will be Top knotch.A great bunch of guys

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
Does the air flow better if you don't use a sawzall??

'45 Ford PU
66 Valiant wagon, leaning tower of power.
79 Chevy C10 w/250
02 PT Cruiser Convertable
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M

12 port SDS EFI
S
Contributor
Contributor
S
 Originally Posted By: Mean buzzen half dozen A.K.A. Hank
Here is some good vids to see how it is supposed to be done.

I didn't do it that way. I must not have done it the way it's supposed to be done.

Active BB Member
Active BB Member
 Originally Posted By: tlowe #1716
For the dist use a ext coil HEI, these came on 75-78? air cond cars. You can use any coil you want. They are on Ebay used all the time. Just through a curve kit in and a adjustable vac can. Tom

Tom,
I have an ext coil HEI I haven't installed yet but was wondering how and where to mount the square coil that came with it. Are you saying I can you a regular can-shaped coil for a regular distributor with the HEI? That would make things very easy.
Pete

67 Chevelle 300 2 door post
230 Inline six, 3 on the tree
58k Original miles
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
 Originally Posted By: strokersix

I didn't do it that way. I must not have done it the way it's supposed to be done.
Stroker, you didn't do it incorrectly, you just were using the means at hand you had to accomplish the task. Whether you use a mill, hand grenade or sawzall to remove the bolt bosses matters not! 99% of the people that buy the lumps don't have a mill to begin with, and Tom was only showing these people a way to remove them with tools they were likely to have available to them. Tom has a mill himself and can do them that way if he chooses to, and does. After you remove the bosses by whatever method you choose to use, you blend the port floor and roof with your burrs and cartridge rolls the same way as any other method, and the lump covers up the floor anyway. So the removal process is a moot point at this stage of it.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
S
Contributor
Contributor
S
Agreed. I was poking at Hank for suggesting there is only one way to get the job done.

I didn't use the single cap crew up from the deck surface either.
http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae131/strokersix/DSCN3291.jpg
http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae131/strokersix/DSCN3726.jpg

Last edited by strokersix; 05/22/11 04:58 PM.
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
How the bolt bosses are removed is insignificant. The critical steps are the ones that follow that process. How well you blend to port floor to allow the lumps to sit flush in the head and how you attach them so you dont hit water. The original inventor of the bolt-in lump didn't use a mill or sawzall. Its just someone trying to make themselves look like they are doing it better than someone else, thats all!

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
Pete, The OEM external HEI coil used two of the side cover bolts to mount. The side cover bolts were not the usual they are double threaded(?). That is they are threaded on both sides of the hex head. here is a to another discussion on external HEI coil;

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/262533/

Hope that helps.

Larry

Ignorance can be fixed Stupidity is forever
R
Contributor
Contributor
R
Where in that link did they mention the Ex HEI coil?
All the side cover bolts are a special flanged bolt with a rubber seal built into the bottom of the flange. The two special center bolts with the short threaded stud on top of the hex, have the same sealing flange.
I think the square coil looks fine, especially if you have the plastic cover. If anyone knows where you can get one, I'd like to know. Mine was in sad shape when I got it and later managed to knock it off the shroud into the spinning fan blade. What is left is more epoxy and paint than plastic.
The square holes on the bracket are for the cover to snap into. Mine is kind of wedged between the wires.
If you do use this coil, remember it has to be well grounded. There are only two wires from the distributor module. The coil-in-cap HEI coil has the third ground wire.

'67 GMC 3/4 292 4spd
D
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
D
This does not answer my Question though, Is there a round Coil that can be Used? I think the square coil is Hideously Ugly and i was already setup for the round one, i am using the Side Cover bolts for my Fuel Pressure Regulator already and i dont want to replumb everything...

Can i use a standard like MSD high output coil for this? Like this MSD Blaster 3? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-8223/

Last edited by Dakota Kid; 05/25/11 10:30 PM.

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
 Originally Posted By: strokersix

Dakota Kid,

yes you can use that type of coil. I used one of those old Accel square plastic type coils & worked fine, w/nitrous, blower & high compression.
Like this: http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/vi...8&fr=slv8-hptb5

Just wondering how you did remove the bosses?

You have a mill, looks like you do enjoy using a mill.

Also, never said it's the only way to remove the bosses, by using a mill.

I probably would have used a jigsaw or a cutoff wheel or a plain old carbide cutter/porting tool myself to remove the bosses. ;\)

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I like using a sawzall myself, then touch it up with the carbide burrs.

Back to the coil question, just about any high output coil can be used in the remote coil setup. Tom

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 162 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available