Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
O
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
O
Maybe my mind is slipping a little but I think I remember a polished aluminum finned valve cover being sold back around the early 60's. It had no name on it, only an oil breather cap. But it had the 4 hold-down bolts on the gasket flange for 235 heads only. It might of been offered by mail order through "JC Whitney" or "Warshawsky". Does anybody else know of this valve cover?
It may have been made by "Cal-Custom" (not sure ???)
Maybe I've been smelling too much carb-cleaner.??

Anybody have any old "JC Whitney" or "Warshawsky" catalogs that may show this valve cover?

Ed

B
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
B
It may not be generic, but the Offenhauser finned aluminum cover is still available if it is any help.

Inliner #1916
F
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
F
I like carb cleaner... :p

Anyway...The Wayne aluminum set is still available from Patricks.

-Tim
'51 Chevy 3104 w/'56 235, 848 Head, HEI Dizzy, 261 Cam & Split Manifold
J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
Dear Ed;

There's a kit that goes with it to work on a (4 bolt) head.

You may have been thnking of the chrome ones as I don't recal ever seeing a 4 bolt finned aluminum one.

Be carefull what you say about carb cleaner. It could become a 'controled substance', it almost is now.

Good luck, John M.....

John M., I.I. #3370

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going". -Anon
O
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
O
I know Offy makes the aluminum cover but it is a 2 bolt style, as well as the Wayne cover.
I have no real reason for wanting the 4 bolt other than I like the looks of it better. (I guess you could say that would be reason enough)

I guess I am alone in thinking that I remember an aluminum, no name, one being made in the 60's.
Oh-well.

And John M.... , I have absolutely had no luck finding a good carb cleaner, so I think "they" have already taken the good stuff out of it.
I have found that "CLR" (house-hold cleaner) actually has been cleaning my carb's better than the $40.00+ per gal. of the so called Carb Cleaners. But using CLR can be a little tricky because it will eat aluminum if it is too strong and you soak with it too long.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Ed

D
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
D
Ed, You're not that crazy, :rolleyes: , but maybe your thinking of the V8 style used on many hot Chevys then especially Vettes.

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter
G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
I believe Cal Custom made "no name" finned aluminum covers for the SBC, perhaps they did for the L6 also, but I kinda doubt it. The center bolt design works fine for aluminum, so why bother with the 4 bolt design? At least that's what the engineer in me says....

I.I. #3174
B
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
B
I have seen two different part numbers for the Offy valve covers, one from 37-53 and the other from 54-62. I would imagine the later years would be 4 bolts.

Inliner #1916
G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
The difference with the Offy is that the later listing includes 2 studs for converting to center bolt type. The covers themselves are the same.

I.I. #3174
O
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
O
Hi gearhead,
I know the center bolt works fine for the aluminum. Like I said earlier I just like the looks of the 4 bolt aluminum better.
Like "Bruce" I thought that maybe since Offy offered the 37-53 and the 54-62 that it may have been the 4 bolt. I ordered one and just like you said (above) it came with the stud kit. So now I have an Offy aluminum center bolt cover as well as a chromed steel 4 bolt cover. But for some un-Godly reason I wish I could fine a 4 bolt, no name, anuminum cover. I felt sure at one time, around the early 60's that someone had made them, and offered them through JC Whitney or Warshawsky, mail order from Chicago.
I thought maybe somebody from the Inliners may just happen to have an old JC Whitney or Warshawsky catalog that would confirm this.

Ed

C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C
Old Fart Ed,
You may find comfort in knowing that you are right. I recently saw a picture of a finned cast aluminum valve cover with the 4-bolt set up and Chevrolet in script. I could not locate the name of the manufacturer but I'm on the same quest as you. If I find the name I'll let you know.

cgresham1212
"If you don't drive it, why have it?"
O
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
O
cgresham1212

THANK YOU !! Your the MAN.

Ed

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 378 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available