Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
Stretch Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
Does anybody have an oakie bushing PULLER...for rent, sale, borrow, steal etc? I have heard they dont work and are crap. But nobody has one! So they are either so good that everyone had to have one, or so crappy they all fell apart and are no longer being made? I figured I would give a shout before I remove it the old fashion way.

Contributor
Contributor
chevsofthe40s.com sells or rents # 595005A 37-54.

Some are pinned maybe you'll get lucky!

S
Stretch Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
thanks for the reply, but what does it mean "pinned" in? Chev of the 40's is OUT! iv also tried (Patricks, Filling Station, Carters, and a few others...)

Contributor
Contributor
You might be able to use a slide hammer. They are used for a variation of things, like pulling rear axles. It would need to be one small enough to get inside the bushing. Most of them come with a variety of attachments to fit the removal of many different parts. You might try to rent one from your FLAPS.
The "pinned" remark pertains to the fact that some, but not all, oakie bushings are held in place by a pin through the wall of the torque tube, usually right near the transmission end of the torque tube. The best way to find the pin is the clean the end of the tube all the way around real well and look closely for it. Another way is to see if the oakie bushing in the tube will move in a bit further by using a punch and hammer to see if you can tap it into the tube a bit. If it doesn't move, it's pinned, if it moves, your home free on that issue.

S
Stretch Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
thanks for the info, i will have to really take a look. I thought there was/is a blocker to stop the bushing from going backwards, and the puller has to be small enough to go through the front hook the bearing and pull it from the front. I never heard of them being pinned in before. According to some "techs" that sell the part, it could be an hour job with the tool. Or the old fashion way, dropping the torque tube and pounding it out from the back with a gas pipe. Sooner or later I will find out since I have to change it. Its ok for driving around town, but Its a real pain to keep filling the transmission and draining the diff. Plus it wont be any better once I install new front springs and lower the tail.Did not think it would be such
a job to find the tool.

Contributor
Contributor
Here are a couple of sources I found, have you contacted them?

Classic Trucks

Jim Carter

Good Luck,

Tim

Tim Tenold
I.I.#498
Contributor
Contributor
There is not a "stopper" which stops the bushing from going down the tube. That's what the pin does. If there is not a pin, it can be knocked down. I knocked mine down the tube and put a new one in with no problems. I never knew the old one was down there and the new one did stop the problem of the oil running down the tube. The okie bushing is actually a longer and more leak proof busing then the original factory bushing. An okie bushing would have to be very used and deteriorated to leak. They seal very, very well. The problem I had, though, was I never trusted it and I constantly was pulling the plug on the rear axle to be sure the oil wasn't runnig down the tube.

Last edited by 6cylindersovertexas; 06/12/11 12:06 AM.
S
Stretch Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
Great stuff kats, this is my first time on the chats here and there is a lot of info flying around. I hope I can check it out this week.... That is one SWANK ride Joe!

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 192 guests, and 47 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available