Print Thread
Rate Thread
#65265 06/17/11 12:30 PM
I
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
I
anyone have any idea on how to wire a rev-pol distributor? i have a unit for a 235 and i am missing the coil and switch. I found a coil, but no switch as of yet.

No instructions on wiring or what the dash switch does.

From others i have seen the wiring is set up like two seperate coils.

Let me know if you have any ideas.-CB

1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
Greetings . . .

Unfortunately, there is another piece to the puzzle beyond the switch. There is a gizmo called a Rev-Pol transformer. As I understand it, this special transformer is wired between the switch and dizzy. The switch is used to change from street tune to strip tune by reversing polarity in the transformer.

I have yet to find a good tech article on these to get an understanding of the electrical properties at play - specifically what these additional windings in the Rev-Pol transformer do to improve spark at high RPM.

Here's a somewhat blurry scan of magazine ad:

These are dual coil dizzies - so you should find only 3 cam lobes on the shaft.

I would imagine that the dizzy could probably be wired without the transformer or the switch. You might try posting a question on the Mallory tech site.

regards,
stock49

[Linked Image from 49fastback.com]
I
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
I
i have the rev-pol dizzy and i just bought a 1960s NOS rev-pol Mark II coil from a HAMB member. I have seen a pic of a SBC set up and the each of the condensors were wired to each of the two neg poles on the coil. the resistor was connected to the (+) and that was it. I have also seen two stock coils used in the same manner. I think that this is just a way to modifiy the wiring to make it work. I thought by chance the transformer they were refering to was the the coil itself since that is what a coil is. I think the switch is the key. Thanks for the pic. very cool.

Any other ideas???

I
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
I
post a request at the mallory tech site.

they replied back that they have no information and that the replacement for the distributor was the unilite.

wow...

1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
I dunno . . . neither experience or documentation is at hand.

This setup is special because it is wired and runs like a dual coil dizzy - but there is only one coil and one high tension lead into the center of the dizzy . . .

There is a posting on HAMB that discusses the setup:
Rev-Pol on HAMB

and there is some pics of a Mark II for sale on the yenko site classifieds:
Super Car Registry

No guessing with such rare stuff. Wire it wrong and fry it! Need to get your hands on a wiring diagram.

Perhaps you could try contacting the seller on the yenko site to see if he will share some scans of the docs for the unit he is selling . . .

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 336 guests, and 40 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB
6,784 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available