Print Thread
Rate Thread
#65307 06/21/11 11:30 PM
N
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
N
Did a search here and nothing came up so I thought I would ask.Has anyone ran a Predator carb on their six? what kind of results did you have if so? The mention of throttle response and low end tourque have peaked my interest after reading a several page thread on another site.

Az Chapter Head
Club Merchandise Coordinator

34' Ford Cabriolet Ford 300 & C-4 under Construction
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
I would think they are not all that great for a 6.

Have you tried side draft carbs like Webers?

Webers give you great throttle responce & more low, mid, & top end torque.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
H
Contributor
Contributor
H
There is a guy that races at Woodburn Ore. that has two of them on a six cylinder in an Anglia. Don't know anything about it but it does run good.

H
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
H
Saw some on round tracks in the Charlotte, NC area. One guy tried to run one on the street. The race versions did pretty well but had idle issues. Street was a disaster as the Predator has no provision for mixture changes in relation to engine load so they are always rich or lean. You had to buy and install an idle circuit as they did not come with one and had serious idle problems without the mod.

P
Contributor
Contributor
P
Only if they are jetted right at low, mid, and top end. But they are more easily tuned with all their main, air correction, and other replaceable jets.

You can do the same to many other carbs (including "satan's carb), but these changes are usually a drilling, or reaming exercise, and if too much, a soldering and do over exercise.

Rochester Carburators-Doug Roe first printing 1973 (has more info on older rochester carb B's, 2-G's, 4 G's, H's etc.) fix 'em for more power, or for more economy-same book tells you how.

Last edited by preacher-no choir; 06/25/11 01:03 AM.
H
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
H
I saw Predators run pretty good, but they are a PAIN on the street.
I am a Rochester fan. Had the good fortune to spend a week with Doug Roe in about 1980. I have his books, notes from the time we spent together. Best current book on Q Jets I know of is by Cliff Ruggles, but it only has some performance info on Q Jets and nothing else.
Roe was also a Corvair nut and a Turbo guru.
I put Q Jets on everything. I am not as good as Ruggles, will never rival Roe on anything, but I still try!!

N
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
N
I Believe the new version (6000 series) has idle adjustment on it.Thanks for the replies, i know the weber setup would be the optimum choice but that is about 2-3 times the price of a Predator.Just thinking outside of the box.

Az Chapter Head
Club Merchandise Coordinator

34' Ford Cabriolet Ford 300 & C-4 under Construction
N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
 Originally Posted By: nln6pinto
Just thinking outside of the box.

Or inside it as the case may be. ;\)

Best of luck to you, let us know how it works out.

My, what a steep learning curve. Erik II#5155
E
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
E
 Originally Posted By: Hotrodrobert
I saw Predators run pretty good, but they are a PAIN on the street.
I am a Rochester fan. Had the good fortune to spend a week with Doug Roe in about 1980. I have his books, notes from the time we spent together. Best current book on Q Jets I know of is by Cliff Ruggles, but it only has some performance info on Q Jets and nothing else.
Roe was also a Corvair nut and a Turbo guru.
I put Q Jets on everything. I am not as good as Ruggles, will never rival Roe on anything, but I still try!!

Got a question - before I went to EFI I searched everywhere to find the drill bits to rework the idle feed restriction - never found a source for these @#$! extra long tiny bits. Roe referenced them in his book but never supplied a source. So where can you get them?

One night I got so frustrated with the QJet I started looking at EFI and never looked back.

I could get the WOT tune good but low and part throttle on a late Qjet no way without the damm drill bits.

Last edited by efi-diy; 06/27/11 06:46 PM.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Reamers work better.Drill bits dont make a round hole, while a reamer does, and most carb gurus don't recommend using drill bits for that reason.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
P
Contributor
Contributor
P
Ever tried small tapered reamers? They are better than drill bits when opening up these holes as they leave no "rifleing" marks in the barrel of the jet, which can mess up the fuel flowing thru that reworked jet (so they say). I have a set of 5 reamers that go from say .100" down to perhaps .020" and have perhaps 2' to 2-1/2" of usuable length- mine have a pentagon shape (5 cutting edges-cant perfectly measure the actual dia. of reamer with micrometer as you could with a square, hexagon, or other geometric shape with diametrically opposed edges-but still quite,quite close) and can produce a mirror like finish on the interior barrel surface. Dont remember where I got them-most likely from McMaster-Carr, they are good for such things.

For tiny drill bits check out the model railroad folks like Walthers- they have sets so small that some drills look like "whiskers" in diameter.
Later,
Edski

E
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
E
 Originally Posted By: preacher-no choir
Dont remember where I got them-most likely from McMaster-Carr, they are good for such things.

For tiny drill bits check out the model railroad folks like Walthers- they have sets so small that some drills look like "whiskers" in diameter.
Later,
Edski

thanks - McMaster Carr stopped delivering to new customers in Canada 2 years ago @#$@#$@#$%~!

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them
N
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
N
If I can figure out how to post it I have a photo of a side draft setup using dual motorcycle carburetors and the engine using this concept hauls fanny pronto! The manifold was fashioned in the garage too. If this doesn't work, P/M me.
Normbc9 [img]http://dualsidedraftmanifold[/img]

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 192 guests, and 47 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available