Print Thread
Rate Thread
#66152 08/30/11 09:39 PM
P
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
P
I am gathering the last few pieces for my 250 and looking for a few opinions. First the list of what I have.
Ross pistons from Tom
lump port head about 10.5:1
Stainless valves and seats, 1.94 intake, 1.70 exhaust
Stainless roller rockers
.577 solid lifter cam
ARP head and main studs
eagle h beam rods
ATI damper
hughes performance 3000 stall converter
3.73 gear 8.8 rear
shorty split headers.
ofenhauser intake.
I plan on nitrous with progressive controller in the future once I can afford it.
Right now I have a holley 390 that came on the engine when I bought the car (63 nova), wondering if that will be big enough, seems like I might need to go bigger.
I also have a stock HEI distributor. I know I need to upgrade the ignition and would like to go with the msd 6al and pro billet distributor but the budget is totally blown at this point. So I guess the question for ignition is can I get away with just upgrading the coil and wires for now or will my distributor limit the rpms/power.

Thanks,
Josh

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
Nice list of parts!

What are the specs on the cam?

I think the 390 will work pretty good.
I liked the 600 DP Holley.

A set of 3 side drafts makes a huge difference,so consider that upgrade if possible.

I would try your Offy intake & a Clifford intake for a back to back comparisions., No reason to get rid of the Offy just yet.

Your stock HEI should do fine ,just install a spring/weight recurve kit.
Run as much initial timing as possible (as not to detonate) & limit your mechanical advance.

The stock external HEI coil worked fine for me.

I only ran a stock HEI w/an Accel external coil w/an MSD6 box & a timing control box plugged in.
I had run nitrous,& supercharged & 12.1 compression N/A engine @ different times w/that set-up w/no problems.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
The 390 will limit you around 300HP. Maybe look at a cheap to get 600.
The Offy will also limit you starting around 4500 rpm. A Clifford will add hp above that RPM.
Your cam will want to rev to 6K+. Maybe trade the intake for a Clifford.
The stock HEI will work great. Be sure to update the timing curve to the engine. Tom

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

P
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
P
I got a clifford intake on the way, also got a quick fuel 600 dp coming. Looking at the HEI upgrade kit, new springs weight bushings etc... When I got the car, the vacuum advance was not hooked up, should I be looking at a lock out kit or maybe the adjustable vacuum advance canister, or stick with the stock vacuum advance and hook it back up?

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M

12 port SDS EFI
P
Contributor
Contributor
P
why dont some inliners get into gear with a 750 cfm q-jet. If the 230 and 250 Pontiac OHC motors used then from the factory, why dont anyone else try it. Heck there is probably the correct jetting right there.

You got little primaries (practically unstumbleable) and easily adjustable secondary tip-in (if your motor cant suck it open wide open-then you dont get 750 cfm--sort of self adjusting yhat way). Much mentioned Doug Roe ran them on the baja miniboots (vega 2300 motors ,and even a chevette road racer with a 1400 or a 1600 engine). How could you be scared of a carb with that much adaptability? There are plenty at the swaps dont need to buy a brand new Edlebrock model. Holley has few, few features that cant be found on a Q-jet once you get to know them.

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
 Originally Posted By: photwenny
When I got the car, the vacuum advance was not hooked up, should I be looking at a lock out kit or maybe the adjustable vacuum advance canister, or stick with the stock vacuum advance and hook it back up?

Depends if you want gas mileage, or strictly for racing max HP.

Adjustable vacuum can is a good idea.

I liked running an MSD box w/a plug in adjustable timing control knob, it worked great!

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 445 guests, and 37 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony
6,785 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available