Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
U
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
U
as of right now my motor that doesnt work has one single barrel intake. i was told i could go for 2 single barrel intake or go big and get the single four barrel intake. when the motor is ready it will be running better then a 261. which set up would be best. this truck will eventually only be for cruise ins and car shows and occasional drive. or is there another set up that wont starve the motor? thank you.

P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
wont starve the motor

Sorry, what does that mean?

U
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
U
for example, you have a chevy 350 and you put a little 2 barrel on top it would be like you drinking a soda though a coffee stir straw. its gonna starve the motor. now say i got this tweaked 235 or 261 chevy straight six and i put a little single barrel on it, im thinking its not gonna get the amount of gas it will need to stay running properly. so the more carbs or the bigger you go the more gas you got dumping into your intake.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Getting enough fuel is not the problem. Getting the right amount of the best mixture of air and fuel is the goal. That often calls for bigger or more carbs but whatever you have must be set up for your use. A 4 barrel is a good choice for ease because it has less linkage to adjust and most have lots of jetting options. Duel singles runs well and looks way cooler than a 4 bbl. If you can keep your foot out of it you can actually improve milage or at least not hurt it much. Beater

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
U
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
U
well this truck when done, will be for play (heavy on throttle, patch laying, head turner) rather then you grandpas farm truck you take to town and back. i have seen quite a few set ups, dual carbs, three carbs, 6 carbs, (all single barrel), twin 2 barrels, twin four barrels, all wild looking. i do know that if i went doubles i would have some serious linkage and tuning both at the same time can be time consuming. its also a matter of what i can get my hands on and how much green is in my back pocket.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
" rather then you grandpas farm truck you take to town and back" Them's fightin' words. \:D I hope you come to the inliner Convention in June. We have a few "farm trucks" here that turn heads. One of them holds Bonneville records. Some of our towns are 100 lonely miles apart and we still get there and back. Beater

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
U
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
U
depends how far i have to travel and money is a factor. as of right now im going to aaca hershey fall meet to do some shopping and talking to those who run old trucks and have been around staight 6's.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Happy hunting. There is a lot out there. For your engine I'd suggest you start with this BOOK . It will help you form a plan.

W
Contributor
Contributor
W
Check out this article http://www.selectric.org/55chevy/soup.html
It has to do with a 261, but it can apply to a 235 also. It's from 55, but the info is still valid.

P
Contributor
Contributor
P
the 1955 article on mcgurk's 261 dyno sessions is just about the bible on the old stovebolts-note the difference boring makes.

I had a .060 261 in high school with dual exhaust and single one bbl, stock cam, and a buddy had a .060 over 235 with same cam and dual exh, but had 2 single bbls-- real even races. Both had 2.94 low gears and 3.70 rear gears.

Last edited by preacher-no choir; 09/26/11 01:30 AM.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 296 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101
6,786 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available