Print Thread
Rate Thread
#66946 10/20/11 06:36 PM
B
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
B
well on my way to another chevy 292 engine build for my work pickup. not wanting a hot rod engine but one that will pull these hills and mountains here in east, tn. had a had time finding a block worthy of building. ended up the only one was one that required a .060 over bore and just my luck i ran into casting sand in #4 hole so i had to sleeve it !!!!! i got a brand new set of propane pistons with chrome rings, got the rods redone and the crank had to go .010/.010. got a brand new GM factory cam also a set of matched cloyes timming gears (aluminum cam gear, new lifters,pushrods,rocker arms, valve springs and a hi-volume oil pump std pressure. gonna do some work on the C60 HI CAP OIL PAN TO HOLD A COUPLE EXTRa qts of oil. now for the head ! got a small chamber 194 head so gonna install hard exh valve seats, 1.60 exh valves & 1.84 intakes both are swirl polished and necked down stems stainless steel from SI. Cant make up my mind if I,am gonna do the lump ports. got a real nice N.O.S. 292 cast iron exh manifold with 2 1/2" outlet and a new hei dist. am I missing anything or your thoughts fellas ? i just need a stump puller that will handle a 3/4 ton loaded pickup and part time trailer puller. I,ve got 3.73 rear axle gears and gonna do a dodge "gas engine" nv4500 trans swap
thanks for any help
regards
bob

p/s
I cant find a original steel head gasket .015 thick so I had to go composit and its .041 so I,am considering cutting off .010 from the deck and same from the head surface . got a offy 4bbl alumin intake and a 500 cfm holley 2bbl new carb also for it.

Last edited by bcowanwheels; 10/20/11 06:44 PM.

I BELIEVE IN " JOHN 3:16 "
D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
Sounds like a good work build.
It could use more cam but if you already have a new stock one, you dont want too much cam for your use anyway so probably fine.

I think the lumps would help because they would help velocity and mixture quality for everyday, and add some power too without the lope or gas eating qualities of a big cam.

A 4bbl carb would help, better gas mileage than that big Holley 2bbl. A 500cfm Carterbrock would be about perfect, or a 390 Holley 4bbl or even a 4100 Autolite 4bbl, 440-500cfm.

Remember that 500cfm Holley is really only about 350cfm measured by the 4bbl method.

B
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
B
DECIDED TO CHANGE MY SETUP A BIT. I built a 250 cylinder head about 12 yrs ago and never used it in fact i forgot I even still had it until I got into the 6cyl head frame of mind ! (getting old is tough LOL) so my head choice is now a mildly ported 250 that has 1.94 int & 1.60 exh swirl polished necked down stem stainless valves and chambers slightly relief cut & polished to inprove flow of the bigger valves. it has the bosses in the intake ports removed so I,am gonna buy some lump ports for it. sure hope them lump ports dont come loose over time ! it also has screw in rocker arm studs. since the cc's of the chambers are larger I had th head cut .010. found a n.o.s. GM 292 steel head gasket. I think I,ll also cut the top of the block down to .005 deck height to help with compression. OH yeah I found a almost new 390 holley 4 bbl /electric choke #8007.

Last edited by bcowanwheels; 10/25/11 06:43 PM.

Contributor
Contributor
I am 77 and would never forget I had a head like that !! Sounds like you are going to end up with a nice motor...J

Jerry Davis II#4711

ol Smokey said "one test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
B
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
B
been spinnin wrenches since 1965 and with time you forget alot of whats in your parts stash. boy prices sure have gone up in this time frame >>>>>>

B
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
B
GOT MY HOLLEY 390 CFM/ ELECTRIC CHOKE CARB TODAY. NEVER HAD A HOLLEY THIS SMALL BEFORE. SEEMS LIKE A TOY ! LOL

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 458 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB
6,784 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available