Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
B
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
B
any of you fellas have any experience with the tornado 230 OHC ENGINE ? sure seems like a little work horse to me. I have one in my m715 kaiser jeep army truck and it does a fine job but is getting a little tired now. the 5.87 gears runs it to death even if I keep my speed to 40mph or less. I,ve got everything to rebuild this engine and considering it for a winter project.
thoughts ????
bob

I BELIEVE IN " JOHN 3:16 "
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
I think they are still made in Argentina by Renault so you might want to do an International check if you want performance parts. After a rebuild you might also think about a gear or axle change to drop the rpm's. There are still a lot of them out there because I think they used in the Wagoneers/wagons after phasing out the flathead until the late 60's, maybe later.

'45 Ford PU
66 Valiant wagon, leaning tower of power.
79 Chevy C10 w/250
02 PT Cruiser Convertable
B
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
B
yea i swaped the 5.87's to 4.56's. now i can do 60 mph woo hoo

I BELIEVE IN " JOHN 3:16 "
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
My brother had a '63 Wagoneer with an OHC 6. Is that what we're talking about? I think there were issues with that engine but he never had one. His previous '55 wagon had the Hurricane flathead six, torque monster. I saw a crank from a Tornado OHC that had set outside for several years. It had a tiny bit of surface rust that we wiped away with an oily rag. Use a Jeep crank as my headstone. Beater

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 368 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony
6,785 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available