Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#67903 12/28/11 02:47 PM
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor

"under hood temps are extremley high"

Hi-Jacking this thread for a moment, Bill, while running with those high temps, do you experience any perculating/vapor locking problems? I fought mine all through August out here when outside temps were over 100. I replaced everything from gas cap to intake manifold with new including tank, filter, elec pump, fuel line, carb (Edel 600), 2" phonelic carb spacer and the problem finally left after the hottest weather left!
(292 with LPG pistons, AFCO alum rad, A/C, no hills or trailers!)

I have a water heated Offy with hot water routed from block drain thru manifold heat plate to waterpump with small bypass neck. A temporary clamp had no effect on the stalling. The engine will start right up after getting stopped and into 'Park' and will run for a block or 2 and sometimes half a mile. I was getting ready to add a switch ckt so I could kill the fuel pump at first sputter and then check for low/no fuel in carb when the problem seemed to 'evaporate' and now it will take WOT for as long as I dare hold it down (speed limit ya know!).
While there's not much I can fix now without a malfuncion, I guess I'm hoping to collect some tips and tricks to get ready for next summer!

B
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
B
Do you have a inline fuel filter if so try changing it. About three years ago I had a problem like you describe when the weather was hot. I changed the fuel filter and the problem went away for a few hundred miles changed the filter again and it went away again. to shorten this story after afew more filter changes it stopped happening. I cut a couple of the filters apart to find them full of what looked like a black powder. What was strange was it only happened in hot weather. I had the problem start after I had filled up with gas in Lenoir N.Carolina and noticed the station went out of business the next day. I came to the conculsion that the cloged filter made just enough resistance to cause problems when the high temp was aready causing everything to have to work harder. I know this sounds weird but I now carrry a spare filter in both rods, and I buy the plastic housings so I can check for deposits.

Been there, Done that, Hope to live long enough to do it again.
Big Bill
I.I.# 4698
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
[quote=big bill I.I.#4698]Do you have a inline fuel filter if so try changing it. About three years ago I had a problem like you describe when the weather was hot.

Yes, I run a cleanable, glass tube filter before the pump. I also tried 2 new pumps with filters that screw into the inlet, but nothing helped so I went back to my original little Purolator pump and glass filter which is working just fine now and I can see thru the filter.
For next summer, I've been thinking about trying a 'cool can' or maybe re-routing the fuel line somewhere thru cooler air? I guess I need to start with an underhood thermometer of some kind to make sure I'm not 'barking up the wrong tree'.

W
Contributor
Contributor
W
What temperature thermostat are you running? For real hot summer weather, you might consider using a 160 degree thermostat, which is what the early Chevy engines were designed to run with. I still think that people using 195 degree thermostats in engines that were designed to run at 160 degrees are asking for problems.

Formerly known as 64NovaWagon.
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Zeke, I believe it's a 185 stat and a 195 switch for the 3600 cfm pusher fan. I could have that bass ackwards, but don't think I'd set-up to start my fan before the hot water gets there.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 378 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available