Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
RedMan* Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Ok, here is the situation.
I have a 65 chevy II that I have been trying to figure out how to get a turbo hooked up.
Tonight I did some photo shop to show just how LITTLE room there is.

Now there are 3 options I have considered:
1: use the origional exhaust manifold and run an up pipe to the front to mount the turbo housing.
2: use the 292 - 3 bolt exhaust manifold and also run an up pipe to the front.
3: use the SPA manifold that already has the T4 flange on it and run the pipe foreward from there.

Options 1&2 are almost the same situation only using a diff. exhaust manifold.
Option 3 with the SPA (even though it's more expensive) has me thinking..... If I run a flange like this: http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog/tra...o-form-665.html
Can I turn it quick enough foreward an not hit the shock tower and not reduce flow.
Or would it be better to run a T4 flange like this: http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog/fla...steel-2205.html and weld on a couple of modified 90* bends like this: http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog/man...l-bend-601.html
Obviously both ways are going to take some work to route it correctly.
I have not seen a SPA done the way I'm thinking.

Anyone seen it done like this ?

FWIW: I will be moving/replacing the wiper fluid jar & figuring out a longer adjustment arm for the alternator to lower it a little for extra clearance for future intercooler.

Thanks,
Stu

P
Contributor
Contributor
P
you could do a (dreaded around here) draw thru system by using the 292 manifold. weld a short vertical pipe with turbo flange on top to the top of the flat front portion, (if its an early one) sorta above the ribbed portion, and cap the stock exhaust opening. Then plumb the intake by making some bracketry to attach the carb to the turbo, and let the pressured air/fuel side blow down into the intake by way of the stock intake carb inlet (or of course a Cliff or Offy manifold if they dont sick out away from the engine too far and cover up the exhaust manifold-the stock intake will work fine)

I have not read it in quite a while, but go to Tom Lowe's site and find the turbo article of how Dick Griffin did it to a 250 inch '66 Cutlass (102mph in the low 13's- high 12's).

The 292 exhaust has a better shape and it sticks out away from the stock intake to allow the aforementioned vertical pipe.
Only tight spot will be trying to route a 3" exaust out of the blower--but every thing has a prob or two.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
How about, plan on moving the alternator to passenger side.
I discount using the SPA manifold, too tight. Plan on a 292 manifold or make a header like this.

Or very similar.

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

B
Contributor
Contributor
B
RedMan,

Please check out this website. It helped me along. I think this is the same car that had a unfinished YOUTUBE clip of it running without the charge pipe going to the carb.

I hope it helps.

http://www.odiesgarage.com/Nova/index2.htm

Boucher

RedMan* Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Moving the alternator to the pass. side is a possability.
Either way I'll need to make sure it is low enough to clear the tubing from an intercooler.

Hmmm, I'm really thinking about trying the SPA manifold.

Here is a picture that I think is from MBHD

The T4 flange doesn't come out near as far as the offy intake, which is the same one I'm running, which has me thinking I can turn the 90* foreward & down, then back up for the turbo.

Back to the drawing board.

ETA: thanks for the link Boucher, I had not run across that one.

Last edited by RedMan*; 01/22/12 03:30 PM.
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
Trying to make headers fit for a turbo is going to be real tight.
It can be done. In this thread, this guy has a beautiful set, but it was very pricey. http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/the-turbo-'builds'-board/aussie-t51r-feed-202ci-holden-6/
Those headers in a previous post..
Who made those & exactly what vehicle does the header fit anyways?

I think there is enough room to fit the SPA manifold.
The T4 flange that is welded to the manifold makes it an even tighter fit. They do not come that way from SPA.
You would be better off getting the SPA manifold w/no adaptor welded to it.
I believe Mike B, Mr Hotrod 6 has them?
The above pic is probably from Larry (Twisted6) or Mike B?, it's not mine. Is the eng. compartment an early Nova?

Also, with the SPA manifold, I would cut down the center devider as I suggested for Tlowe to do on his so the wastegate will see pressure/exhaust from all 6 cylinders instead of just 3 cylinders. It might not be as necessary to do since you are not bolting the turbo directly to the SPA manifold.

If not going w/the SPA maifold, I would go w/the truck 2.5" manifold. There are all different radius bends mandrel bent tubing & possibly a 3" dount mandrel for a really tight radius, example: http://www.theboostdepot.com/index.php?p...emart&Itemid=26

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
That is the same guy I helped here on this forum also.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSB2uvlOOtQ&feature=fvsr
He blew up the turbo running it out of oil.
It was just a temporary engine until he put back his SBC back into the nova.

MBHD
 Originally Posted By: Boucher
RedMan,

Please check out this website. It helped me along. I think this is the same car that had a unfinished YOUTUBE clip of it running without the charge pipe going to the carb.

I hope it helps.

http://www.odiesgarage.com/Nova/index2.htm

Boucher

12 port SDS EFI
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
The SPA manifold could work if the turbo is turned 90°. You might need to clearance the fenderwell for further clearance if that isn't a problem. Also, keep in mind the SPA manifold is only designed to fit vehicles made in Brazil and not US bodied vehicles, so some modifications are going to have to be expected in most cases to get them to fit. A custom manifold might be your only other choice. A centrifugal supercharger could also be an option, since they bolt to the front of the engine and not the side. Hank has some good pics of an install of that.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
RedMan*,
here is bosonova (SP),,, Nova on a dyno, he is the guy that modded the stock exhaust manifold & intake manifold that fit very nicely in his early Nova.
It is a super clean install.
He has posts here, I just think the search feature on this website to hard to use as compared to others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DsmPcLbuRg.
Here it is on another forum: http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/the-turbo-'builds'-board/chevrolet-250-turbo/35/
You can see a small alternator mounted on the pax side.

I have PM'd him & Emailed him.
I asked if he could post some pics of his modded manifold for you.
He has not been on the turbo forum for a while last post was on December 31, 2009, 07:30:40 PM »

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
 Originally Posted By: RedMan*
Moving the alternator to the pass. side is a possability.
Either way I'll need to make sure it is low enough to clear the tubing from an intercooler.

Hmmm, I'm really thinking about trying the SPA manifold.

Here is a picture that I think is from MBHD

The T4 flange doesn't come out near as far as the offy intake, which is the same one I'm running, which has me thinking I can turn the 90* foreward & down, then back up for the turbo.

Back to the drawing board.

ETA: thanks for the link Boucher, I had not run across that one.

No Redman
That is not from MBHD it is from my web site.That is some of the photo's i took showing how much the SPA mainfold cleared different intakes.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
RedMan* Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
MBHD, seems he has follen off the map. Can't find anything recent over on Steve's either.

Sorry for the mix up T6, I couldn't remember where I got that picture from.
PM sent.

Thank you,
Stu

Last edited by RedMan*; 01/25/12 03:43 PM.
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
 Originally Posted By: RedMan*
MBHD, seems he has follen off the map.

Thank you,
Stu

I'm right here.

12 port SDS EFI
RedMan* Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Bosanova has fallen off the map.................sorry.

RedMan* Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Up up up.

Time to get back after this project.......

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 162 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available