Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
M
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
M
Here is the guy that makes the Alkycontrol methanol injection kits.
He runs on pump gas.
I have one kit on my turbo V-6

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/march-2012-true-street-video.372282/

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
H
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
H
I've been out of the game and off the forum for some time now, joined the military and the rest is history, anyways I have been in schools for a while and haven't reached my permanent duty station but that is drawing nearer and nearer and as it reaches closer I can start to plan my l6 nova build I have always wanted. This whole alky injection thing is new to me but it will be getting put on the list \:\) and of course I will be licking your guys brains plenty so thanks in advance

M
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
M
The alky injection is a single or dual nozzle set-up that just adds methanol to whatever fuel you normally use.

It is mainly used for forced induction engines, but it is also used for naturally aspirated high compression engines.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
Alcohol injection: 1962 Oldsmobile standard equipment, 215" Jetfire V8.

P
Contributor
Contributor
P
Saw what the seller claimed to be one of those motors - less the turbo, at last months Decatur swap meet (maybe jalopy 45's brother saw it too?)

It had an intake on it with a 2gc rochester carb mounted, the intake had a raised "ring" around the carb that resembled the intake of a Granatelli Avani with the paxton/mccullah blowers, where the blow-thru box would fit on.

He would not listen to reason- and certainly did not have time for my discussion. Those Olds had a special one bbl rochester side draft (shown in Doug Roe's second edition Rochester book) with an extra inline downwind butterfly that was controlling the incomming air flow (thus boost)independant of the real foot controlled throttle butterfly. When ever you ran out of the magic rocket fuel (alky), linkage from the alky jar's float would prevent this second butterfly from opening far enough to produce much boost. Engine had pretty high (10:1 or so) compression ratio. This limited boost by restricting the intake side of this Draw thru system. The dude's engine had an intake for a blow-thru system.

The Brits bought the olds engines and put them in a lot of Range Rovers, and maybe an MGB-GT (MGE?). I guess they didnt buy the rochester 2gcs, because all the ones I saw had sidedraft SUs adapted with stupid 90 degree ells bolted up to the stock 2 bbl intakes. TSK-TSK. All that glitters is not gold.

N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
PNC, don't forget they put the BOPR V8 into TVRs, TRs and myriad other cars.

Neatest thing they did was to not stop developing it, it finished production recently (2005 IIRC) and didn't miss 5L (302 CI) by much at that point.

The later engines have efi with a removable top plenum, with 8 ram stacks inside it (with the top off it looks for all the world like an old calliope stack injection system).

If it's not obvious, I have a 3.5l (Brit 215) that I picked up for a project. \:\)

Sort of a hijack, and I do apologise to the OP for that.

Last edited by Nexxussian; 03/18/12 10:27 PM. Reason: Typo

My, what a steep learning curve. Erik II#5155

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 420 guests, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101
6,786 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available