Print Thread
Rate Thread
D
Dinky Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
D
I am in the process of doing some late 40' to mid 50's Chevrolet In-Line 216-235's. My skills are , well "B" grade but my tools are old "C" grade.
Much of the engine's machine work I send off to the old auto machine shop in town (only 1 still around) ; but I re-check, record, and re-assemble most of the work myself.

I know that some of the obscure tools like the dipper/trough/nozzle tools of the early stovebolts' can be almost copied by the dimensions (I have an old nozzle target gauge): but what is really bugging me is some simple stuff.

What kind of lo-priced cylinder bore gauge would you folks suggest (I may also use it on main bearing saddle bores, big end rods for inserts, etc ---- I've seen lots of digital China models, but wonder about the degree of accuracy I will need and how any decimal places I should go )? I tried those sets of "telescoping gauges" but I have a heck of a time getting my readings to repeat with them.

A good "inexpensive" 3"-4" micrometer is getting weird to find, any leads on some good new China stuff?,OR any suggestions for maybe a "inexpensive" micrometer standards (ring, block , etc) that I could better calibrate my old Brown & Sharpe's 3"-4" Mic'?

What cam bearing removal/installation tool do you guy use for these In-liners, that single item is giving me fits trying to find. I can't find a Google source for anything but $150-200-300 Chinese Universals.
Thanks in advnzz for any help!

PS---if there is any other odd or specific hard to find tool you guys can suggest for old Chevy In-Liners please chime in. I would love to know about it before I need it!

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
The problem with the dial bore gauges is that they don't have the reach required to do the housing bore on the mains except for the front and rear. Doing the rods and cylinders is OK as far as reach goes. You might get lucky and find some old Sunnen setup fixtures and dial bore gauges for the mains on eBay from time to time. Mics of all sizes and brands are on there all the time, so they aren't hard to find at all.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
IIRC Starret had a less expensive dial bore gauge where the dial travels with the mechanism.

It was much less expensive than the kind where the dial is at the handle end and came with different extensions so you could use them in cylinder bores, and perhaps in main journals, but I don't know if the rod journals are big enough, I used to see it in he Grainger catalog, but it's not in my current one.

The other option is a set of "snap" or "T" gauges where you can measure them after you've fitted them to the bore you are measuring (if you already have an appropriately sized micrometer, this is likely your least expensive option).

My, what a steep learning curve. Erik II#5155
C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C
My machinists have bought enough of the following that I have no problem recommending them for occasional use (not from that vendor however):

economical bore gauge set

telescopic gauges

1952 Chev 1300 Cdn. ½ ton
D
Dinky Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
D
Hey guys: Thanks for the leads!
I found a digital dial bore gauge that looks like it will fit, it's not too cheap, but styles like the old Federal clock dial ones often look worn out. Old Federal Dial Bore
NEW Example: New Digital Dial Bore 10" long, 2"-6" bores
Looks like it may do cylinder bores, and possibly main bearing saddles, and big end rod bearing for inserts?

So, now I'm still trying to find a good cam bearing installation tool for these in-lines. My blocks are about 28" long and I can't figure how to remove and install new cam bearings with the darn V-8 tools (they look too short!).

PS--Curt B, I have tried those telescoping gauges and I have trouble getting the same reading to repeat itself. I think I just don't have the "feel" for those telescoping tools!

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Dont know what your skill level is in this area, just remember that owning machinist tools doesn't make you a machinist either, there is a good amount of skill to use those types of tools correctly. You'd be surprised at the number of people that try to use a micrometer as a C-clamp when they mic something. Snap gages, mics and dial bore gages do take a certain feel and experience to use correctly. Spending a little extra for better quality tools can go a long way in achieving more accurate results, so don't price shop if you expect to get good results. I bought my cam bearing tool from Dura-Bond, but Snap-on and Mac Tools and others have a good version of one as well, so you can check with them if you are having difficulty locating a good one.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
D
Dinky Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
D
 Originally Posted By: CNC-Dude #5585
Dont know what your skill level is in this area, just remember that owning machinist tools doesn't make you a machinist either, there is a good amount of skill to use those types of tools correctly. You'd be surprised at the number of people that try to use a micrometer as a C-clamp when they mic something. Snap gages, mics and dial bore gages do take a certain feel and experience to use correctly. Spending a little extra for better quality tools can go a long way in achieving more accurate results, so don't price shop if you expect to get good results. I bought my cam bearing tool from Dura-Bond, but Snap-on and Mac Tools and others have a good version of one as well, so you can check with them if you are having difficulty locating a good one.

I agree with you completely. You give sound advice.

If I had to now make a living off my in-line tools they would be the best I could afford! But since I am of moderate income, and thus also do all the plumbing, electrical, and general construction work for myself and my deadbeat loving in-laws I am stuck "robbing Peter to Pay for Paul's tools".
I wish there were magic In-Liner Leprechauns that would toil away in the night and I'd wake up with a finished engine project .... Oh well----

Those Snap-On etc cam bearing tools looks great,and looks like the extension would be long enough for my stovebolt block , but $240 for a tool when the cam bearings are about $40 will probably send me searching to jiffy-rig some cheaper setup. Snap-On Cam Tool

C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C

I would suggest avoiding the digital Chinese stuff and as Scott brought up technique is as important as the measuring tool itself. There are a few YouTube examples of proper use of telescopic gauges and with some practice repeatability should appear.

1952 Chev 1300 Cdn. ½ ton

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 378 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available