Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
J
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
J

The details on me and the truck are below... I want to swap a 6 cylinder (not original) with either a small block V8 or better yet a larger V6 like a Vortec 4200

There are a lot of thoughts on this thus far.. please see details below.

Here's the deal :

I'm just getting started on my research for getting a half ton '42 chevy panel truck back on the road for use as a daily driver.
I also need it to occasonally haul my travel trailer a 22 foot vintage Curtis wright (about 3,000 lbs so fairly light)
So it needs some power, though only necessary for driving and towing, I'm NOT looking for crazy awesome power.
Also I need it asap as I have no wheels right now, luckily I live in San fran so I can often do without.That's the basics

The truck as it stands:
Seats replaced with bucket seat from 70's or 80's sports car
It has a running 1970's Mustang engine in it- master cylinder is bad. Presumalby the rear from the Mustang. This will be remeoved and sold for cash to put back in.
It has original leaf springs on the rear but not the accompanying original suspension. No shocks were ever added and the leaf springs have started to shift sideways slightly. We plan to fabricate some brackets or mounts to add in shocks and perhaps a package to stiffen/distribute the rear as it will be used as a tow vehicle. Obviously we'll be straightening the springs and getting them properly bolted in.
We also plan to replace or stiffen up the front end for better handling.

The Plan:
To outwardly keep the truck as original looking as possible, while giving me the power and handling for a daily driver:
Stiffen up the front end for better handling.
Replace engine ???
Replace auto transmission and rear end
Add shocks to rear
fabricate a mounting to the frame for a tow hitch to pull trailer
install disk brakes all around
power steering
tilt steering (for long drives this will be needed especially)
install a heat/AC/Defrost unit

Suggestions thus far:

A- a new 350 with auto trans perhaps an R4 tranny- giving me an overdrive and achieving better mileage. With this it has been also suggested to me that a 4.11 or some such lower geared rear ratio would be better. The best way to do this I am told is to keep it simple without a computer. I assume while this would be the most expensive of my options but it would yeild the most reliable towing vehicle and have the capability to suit my needs. I am told fuel injected is more $ but better for fuel consumpiton, I assume the increase in cost might even pay for itself over some years.

Replace steering wheel with a 69-71 tilt/telscoping steering wheel or some new similar unit.

B- get an 350 engine and trans from a 1968, 69,70, 71 or maybe 72 or 73 ruck chevy truck and presuameably the rear end as it will have the power I need and be far cheaper. The problem I guess is locating one and then getting something that may not have the longevity of a new engine as well as needing more maintenance and replaced/rebuilt sooner.

C- Get a donor chassis ..Like a Chevy s-10 and swap cabs... cutting away and modifying the s-10 to fit the Panel truck body needs. Benifitting fully from the suspension, PS, handling etc that is already there.

D- Use a new (if still available) or newish Vortec 4200 (or powerfull V6 of your suggestion) This offers near 291 HP... As I used to tow the trailer with a 2002 Chevy S-10 with a 4.3 V6 (only about 175 hp I think) I think this should suffice. While I was at my towing limit with the S-10 for GVW and towing capacity it worked fine... that's how I got the trailer from the East to West Coast as well as many other shorter trips. With a larger V6 and propperly matched drivetrain I think I'll be fine ...
Note the S-10 I had did not have a tow package.. the hitch, a trans cooler, and rear stiffening package were added on one at at time and improved towing greatly. She made it to the Black Rock City Nevada in the summer (Burning Man)from Philadelphia Pa with no issues.

Note I am not interested in the extra power... It would be nice if gas were cheap but its not... and I doubt ever will be again. This is my daily driver to be some economy needs to come into play.

If anyone has photos of successful mounts for under a panel or pickup, engine reenforments for adding the 350 or mounts for rear shocks or a tow hitch or info on such , I would love to see

photos can be sent to me directly at frockan@gmail.com

My background :

I'm an artist, I wont be doing these alterations to the truck as I dont have that knowledge myslef. (obviously)
I will be assisting to help save time and money. My mechanic is willing to do whatever I want but wants me to let him know in what direction we need to go, and do some of the initial research that he doesn't really have the time for right now. We both want to do this right the first time,

We plan to use Summit Racing for new parts as he likes their dealings and ample return policy.

Any and all feedback is most appreciated

Cheers
Jeremy

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Jeremy, The 4,200 discussed here is a DOHC inline 6. It would be a very good choice for your project and you will get lots of advise here. You will need to make a lot of what it takes to make it work but when done your truck will be dependable and unique. It will not be something your mechanic has done before. I hope you are a successful artist as it will not be the least expensive way to go, but by far cooler than a 350/you name it auto combo. We are "INLINERS" here, don't expect much excitement over any "V" type engine. Get a 4.2 and join our club. \:\)
Beater

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
L
Contributor
Contributor
L

^^ Yeah what he said.

A 350 would probably be your most reasonable swap. But then we wouldn't care.

Major Contributor
Major Contributor
Are you trying to find the easiest, best or a swap with the ultimate cool factor???

Last edited by jalopy45 #4899; 06/16/12 10:49 PM. Reason: spullin

'45 Ford PU
66 Valiant wagon, leaning tower of power.
79 Chevy C10 w/250
02 PT Cruiser Convertable
P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
The ultimate cool factor would be something that hasn't been done yet.

E
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
E
I don't think anyone has done a 4200 swap into a pre-war design truck.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them
J
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
J
Well that said , he may not want to do the conversion then... He seems set on the 350 as you suggested he knows that.

I am going to list a few things here... I realize engines are your things and I respect that greatly...that's why I am here. That said I am not wanting to do anything new for the sake of doing something new... that's for you guys who have the know how.

- I need something reliable.
- I am not concerned with what under the hood... it needs only to be powerful enough to haul my trailer ( about 3,000 lbs)
- Something that is economical as much on gas as can be (not expecting miracles) and still do the above.
- If it's more expensive now, but saves me fuel economy in the future that is OK
- if its a 350 thats fine, if its an inline 6 thats fine too... I have no preferences. I know I have towed my trailer with a Chevy s-10 with a 4.3 ... so it doesn't seem I actually need the V8.

Is putting an inline 6 (Vortec 4,200 or Atlas LL8 specifically) really that hard? It would replace the existing 6 cylinder 1970's mustang engine that is in there now.
When it is said that we would have to "make much of what it takes" to put the Vortec 6 in, what does that refer to.

Thanks again.
Jeremy

L
Contributor
Contributor
L
 Originally Posted By: jeremy1942
Well that said , he may not want to do the conversion then... He seems set on the 350 as you suggested he knows that.

I am going to list a few things here... I realize engines are your things and I respect that greatly...that's why I am here. That said I am not wanting to do anything new for the sake of doing something new... that's for you guys who have the know how.

- I need something reliable.
- I am not concerned with what under the hood... it needs only to be powerful enough to haul my trailer ( about 3,000 lbs)
- Something that is economical as much on gas as can be (not expecting miracles) and still do the above.
- If it's more expensive now, but saves me fuel economy in the future that is OK
- if its a 350 thats fine, if its an inline 6 thats fine too... I have no preferences. I know I have towed my trailer with a Chevy s-10 with a 4.3 ... so it doesn't seem I actually need the V8.

Is putting an inline 6 (Vortec 4,200 or Atlas LL8 specifically) really that hard? It would replace the existing 6 cylinder 1970's mustang engine that is in there now.
When it is said that we would have to "make much of what it takes" to put the Vortec 6 in, what does that refer to.

Thanks again.
Jeremy

Given that criteria, I'd say find a 3.6 DI out of a Lambda or new Camaro. You can haul 5000 lbs with it and get 30mpg on the freeway. Motors are getting pretty cheap.
Your mechanic would probably be in over his head though. Probably wants something carbureted. Fuel efficient and carb'd? I go tilt, sorry.

Last edited by limequat; 06/19/12 10:42 PM.
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Jeremy, A friend here has a 4.2 in his '60 Chevy pickup and likes it so much he is thinking about putting on in his '55 Chevy two door. I saw one in a '29 Ford roadster at the recent Inliner Convention. Efi-diy has one in a '50 GMC pickup and is a source of oil pans, cams, dampeners, and knowledge on these engines.
On the other hand a 250 or 292 L6 would almost bolt into your truck, well as easily as a 350. I own 3 vehicles with 350s and one with a 305. On one when the 350 wears out I will replace it with a 250. Another is scheduled for a 292. When those are done another 350 rig will be sold and the 305 truck will go for scrap. You have to know and love these engines to make it worth while. If as you say it doesn't matter to you and you are not interested in learning why we feel as we do then the 350 route may be for you.
Do some reading here and elsewhere. Be honest with yourself about what you really want your truck to be. As an artist simply look at a well fitted inline as a kinetic sculpture that is far more unique with more mystique than the over used 350 cliche. It is, in part, not about being different as much as about not being the same. Beater

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 336 guests, and 40 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB
6,784 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available