Print Thread
Rate Thread
#67664 12/13/11 01:51 PM
W
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
W
I've hauling graind this fall and I found a 48 Frazer Manhattan rotting in a barn. The body looks to be in excellent shape, but mice have pretty much taken care of anything with fabric and wiring. All the glass except for the passenger side windshield and rear window is broken. I love the looks and lines of the car. I think it would make an awesome resto-rod. The car has the 226, I'm not for sure of the condition though. Anyone out there with one of these relics?

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
If you have what it takes to search out the stuff you need this would be a great car. These were the NEW CARS after the war. At some point the Kaiser 6 was supercharged. Parts, though not as easy to find, are out there. I say get it, build it, and drive it with pride. It is what we're about! Beater

LINK

SUPERCHARGER

Last edited by Beater of the Pack; 12/14/11 12:24 AM.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
You can find Kaiser-Frazer Owners Club International at

http://www.kfclub.com/

From that link you can likely find someone close by with the knowledge and the parts to help you get that Manhattan back on the road.

The '48 Frazer is a fine-looking automobile for its time. Kaiser-Frazer was producing entirely new cars at a time when most American manufacturers -- except Studebaker -- were selling pre-war vehicles with a few cosmetic trim changes.

i last sat in one of these about 58 years ago, wishing i could drive it. It would be good to have one now.

i'm with Tom the Beater -- i say, Go for it! It'll make a pretty piece to drive, and others will enjoy seeing it.

God's Peace to you.

d
Inliner #1450

W
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
W
Glass is the biggest thing that I'm worried about. The rest of it, like the seats, gauges, etc... I'm sure I can find suitable replacements or donors. I love the lines of the body. It sort of reminds me of the Chevy's of the early 50's, but in a smaller bodied car. Until now, I've only seen one other Kaiser/Frazer in my entire life.

B
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
B
My parents drove a Frazer Vagabond for years. It never failed them. Great car.

B
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
B
My dad bought two brand new a 47 that he traded in on a 49. He always said the only reason he bought the 49 was the only way he could get rid of the 47 was to trade back to the dealer {nobody else was dumb enough to buy it) but the 49 was a good car that he drove till 55 when my sister hit a pole with it. I always liked the looks of the 51 and newer kaisers better, they were way ahead of their time as far as body design. My uncle raced a 51 with a blower on it. Made at lot of guys feel bad. It was fast for its day then Dad bought mom a 53 super 88 olds and after a little work it made a lasting impression on everybody that messed with it.

Been there, Done that, Hope to live long enough to do it again.
Big Bill
I.I.# 4698
A
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
A
My dad had a '48 Kaiser Traveller in the early '50's. I was 3-4 years old but remember that it had starting problems occasionally. It's the only car I ever saw him kick.

B
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
B
Regarding glass for the Frazer, I saw this in an old Hemmings:
Auto glass for classic Frazers made from original factory patterns,
530-626-6923, http://www.ClassicFlatGlass.com.
Good luck!

Contributor
Contributor
nice car! yeah, i would worry about glass, too. resto-rod sounds about right too for this car. very nice looking beast that is.

Active BB Member
Active BB Member
You do realize it's not an AMC or Jeep, right? Hmmm.... well, it is a Kaiser, and Kaiser Corp. owned Continental Motors. Continental made the 226 L-head six. Kaiser used it in early Jeeps and their cars, so I guess it fits here as well as anywhere else...

Frank Swygert
Publisher, American Motors Cars Magazine
for AMC/Rambler owners
http://www.amc-mag.com

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 445 guests, and 37 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony
6,785 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available