Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
cubber Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
C
Where can I get a side draft system?? Will it get into my brake booster?? 40-60 hp???? Oh my is right!! I am searching them NOW!!!

C
cubber Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
C
Hey, Hank, can I borrow $2369.00 plus shipping?? 40-60 hp?? Oh my is right! Those things look wicked. I want them. Just for argument's sake, how do they compare to a 4 bbl system? I think Clifford's kit says gains of up to 60%. So with a factory hp of 155 with the monojunk carb can I reasonably expect up to 248 hp with a standard kit and 195-215hpp with side drafts?? I have emailed tlowe for those dyno results, and I sold my '72 last night, so I am gettin ready to order some stuff, but I want to avoid getting excited and getting te wrong thing, and also avoid over thinking. HELP??

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
That is the major drawback to sidedrafts, mucho $$$

I had to buy my carbs used & pieced together a complete system.

I lucked out & bought carbs & A Datsun intake for $200. Then I bought the intake & linkage new.

Search swap meets, craigslist etc.

Here are some examples:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-of-Weber-45...=item257449b00d

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weber-40-DCOE-15...a4a1467&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WEBER-40DCOE-CAR...ae24277&vxp=mtr

With this intake set-up it is by far,,,, I say , by far the best intake set-up you can run on a 6 cyl, other than maybe a custom set-up.

I am talking from experience & if anyone says different, then those people have never tried them.IMO. \:D
If I would have known then what I know now, I would have never ever messed with 2 bbls or 4 barrel carbs. Clifford & Offy intakes.
I should have went straight to a side draft intake from the get go.

It is really worth it.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Larry at Clifford sold one of his sidedraft Weber intakes on ebay last week for $150. It was brand new, so that seems like a good deal for the intake. Buying the carbs used is a better way to get them since they are kinda' pricy.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
C
cubber Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
C
I have heard some say that those weber side drafts are junk. Do they constantly need adjusting? Is there a major difference between gains over a 4 bbl? I will be out of pocket till Wed., but when I get back I am really looking forward to figuring this out. Maybe by then I will have those dyno results from tlowe, too. Take care everyone,
Matt

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
There are good Weber carbs & there are great Weber carbs.
Never heared that they are junk.
I have heard the Italian made ones are better.

The better ones have a sealed shaft & are on bearings.

If you get good linkage, the adjustments are not needed too much, if you get cheesey linkage, they can come out of adjustment more easily.

There are major gains w/a side draft intake over a standard 4 BBL.

If you have a pretty lumpity lump camshaft w/a 4 bbl carbed engine, running side drafts will smooth out the idle a lot.

More torque everywhere in the RPM band.

If you seen how much camshaft duration the modern inline motorcycle 4's it would surprize you.

If a modern inline motorcycle inline 4 engine had just a single throttle body instead of 4, they would idle like crap & not make anywhere near the HP they do with individual TB's (throttle bodies)

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
P
Contributor
Contributor
P
Something I've always wondered about-what does DCOE stand for?

and then something else comes to mind-I have a buddy who has one of those old Datsun Z-cars just rusting away in his field. Would it be worthwhile to try to talk him out of the intake and carbs? (he actually owes me a little-we trade out work)

C
cubber Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
C
The main guy that fussed abiut the Webers used to work on MGs. Maybe the cars themselves were the problem?? I am going to start an info gathering thread on the high performance board, since this area is reaaly for blown and injected.

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
 Originally Posted By: Pritch
Something I've always wondered about-what does DCOE stand for?

and then something else comes to mind-I have a buddy who has one of those old Datsun Z-cars just rusting away in his field. Would it be worthwhile to try to talk him out of the intake and carbs? (he actually owes me a little-we trade out work)

You can't use the "Z" intake, but maybe it has some side draft Webers or Delordos (SP) The stock SU carbs are too small & the bolt patteren is not the same.

Look into seeing what carbs it has.

You need to find a guy that has the carbs just sitting around for years & does not know what they are worth.

Before I bought my 48 DCOE's I was going to buy some NOS (new old stock) 48 DCOEs, from an ex roundy round racer.

I could have bought those for $200 for all 3 matching number carbs, instead, I told my friend about them & he bought them for his 65 Nova that he put a 292 in. I sold him some new Clifford headers I bought from Pomona swapmeet the guy did not remember what vehicle they fit, so I could not pass them up (they were new) & got those for $75.00 & they ended up being for a early Nova w/a 292 engine, go figure, my friend lucked out.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
S
Contributor
Contributor
S
 Originally Posted By: Mean buzzen half dozen A.K.A. Hank
Here is my new power steering bump & brackets.

Mock-up phase pics below:

MBHD

Hi guys new member here! Can somebody please give me more information on this sweet looking power steering and Alt set up? Are the brackets custom made or are they available aftermarket?

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
Hi,

Thanks for the compliment.

I made the brackets.
They took me some time to make.

I also made the alternator bracket years ago.

Larry, A.K.A. twisted 6 makes alternator brackets & other items for your six cylinder.

MBHD

Now back to our scheduled program " 250 with centrifugal supercharger"

12 port SDS EFI
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 368 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony
6,785 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available