Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
70Nova Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor

Looking for first hand experience with the mildest Comp Cams cam on the tech tips list. Basic engine specs too that you ran it with. Planning to get it for my near-stock build since I need a cam to replace the worn out stock one. Can't find any reviews online on the low end "High Energy" cams.

Thx,

Jan

D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
That Comp is the 248h at 192-200 duration.
I've not run that one yet but have a similar one (194-204) new in the box, bot it 4 same reason as you, near stock 250.
I'm pretty sure the 230/155HiPerf ran a similar cam (188-188 ie the 292 cam) from the factory in the 64 Chevelle so there is a hint.
The 350/300 Chev cam was near identical at 194-202, millions of them doing grocery store duty.

I do use this grind area (lo 190s, lo 200s) on every stock rebuild I do, just gives "a little more" but U cant even tell it's there at idle, just a tad more "hollow" sound out the exhaust. Good choice IMHO

S
Contributor
Contributor
S
Not a stock 230/250 but a point of reference:

I'm running the comp 252 in my stroker installed per cam card spec. 296 displacement, lumps tapered into intake for constant cross section, approx 9.5 static compression, 2 barrel rochester, 1.5 inch long tube headers. Runs real good but I do get some spark knock if I lug it. Backing off the timing helps but it's still knocks. I don't want less compression. Rather I want to try later intake closing to bleed off low speed pressure. Retard this cam or a bigger cam are two options.

I think you would be happy with the Comp 252 in a 250.

S
Contributor
Contributor
S
Here is what it sounds like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7VIZpI4lfQ

70Nova Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Thanks guys. Since I'm done with the rest of the build, I don't want to change things at this point, so the compression will have to remain stock. If I had more options I would go with a bigger cam and other power mods, but that's not the plan for this engine to begin with. The next Comp cam on the list requires different springs, stock springs cannot be used (according to CC). And I just put stock SBC springs it are almost identical to original \:\( I shimmed them to near 100lbs. Pressed in rocker studs would be the next thing to go, and I swore this head is d-o-n-e now.

240H it is. Will be interesting to hear the change in the exhaust note. Running a single cherry bomb straight-through, very quiet still with stock everything. I don't need it to be loud.

Last edited by 70Nova; 09/06/12 07:38 PM.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 280 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101
6,786 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available