Rate Thread
L
Leon Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
L
Hey guys,

I'm going to be in OK city this weekend (9-21/22). Is there anything I should be sure and see? Museum/show/shop/etc?

regards,
Leon

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Here's a couple of ideas. Take some pictures. Are you driving an Inline?
66 Museum
Lots of other links from those. All I remember is oil wells on the Capital lawn.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
Contributor
Contributor
The Okla. City bombing memoial site is worth the trip any day. have the Ranger on site tell you the story of the site...

Jerry Davis II#4711

ol Smokey said "one test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
L
Leon Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
L
Yes, I am driving an inline --
I'm towing a stock trailer behind my Cummins-equipped Dodge pickup <grin>. My girlfriend is showing llamas at the Oklahoma State Fair.

The Route 66 museum is closed on Sunday, so I'll miss it his trip.

The Rod & Custom Hall of Fame had an exhibit at the Fair. They brought down 5 of Daryl Starbird's cars. I got to see the Big T, the Predicta, the Crystal Ball Mercury, Spaced Out, and the Li'l Coffin.

Saturday morning I plan to visit Classic Chevrolet Parts. Don't know if I actually need to pick anything up, but I can ooh and ahh for a while.

regards,
Leon

Major Contributor
Major Contributor
You might want to stop a Parr's speed shop, Cody has a lot of vintage race cars and parts laying around. 4533 NW 10th. not too far from the fairgrounds.

'45 Ford PU
66 Valiant wagon, leaning tower of power.
79 Chevy C10 w/250
02 PT Cruiser Convertable
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
My how things have changed. In the '50 we got death threats for raising sheep in Texas. Now you can openly haul show Llamas across state lines. What a warm fuzzy place the Lone Star State has become. "Did y'all drive them llamas up the trail from Texas through the hill country/".... "Yep, OL' Cummins brung 'em right along. Didn't lose a-one and the river crossin's was a snap." \:D

Have fun and I hope she make a good showing! Beater

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
L
Leon Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
L

Thanks for the tip about Parr Automotive. I had fun browsing around and talking with then for a little while.

The llama show was a success. Two reserve grand champion awards and a bunch of 3rd 4th and 5th places in various performance classes. One more set of performance competitions today and we're done.

We watched a draft horse competition last night. The winning team pair in the heavyweight competition was able to pull a sledge carrying 13,500 lbs of cinder blocks 20 ft. It made me realize what it actually meant when the early trucks and tractors were marketed as being able to replace the horse on the farm.

regards,
Leon

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Power and traction, it is amazing what a team of horses can do. I used my old mare around here to drag stuff I couldn't get a truck or tractor to. One horse power is serious power.
What kinds of performance do the llamas compete in? It seems they do it well.

L
Leon Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
L
It's an obstacle course kind of thing. Three different kinds. One is a generic course with obstacles designed to test the animal's trust of the trainer. It has stuff like bridges, walking over low hurdles, backing up, etc. Another simulates packing. The animal carry a 40 lb pack, and the obstacles include things like backing out of a blind alley, walking across a pile of dead branches, checking feet for thorns, adding and removing items from the pack. Another contest simulates taking the animal out in public, like to an orphanage or retirement home. Obstacles include up and down steps, being petted by strangers, going through doorways, loading and unloading from a trailer, walking through a area full of stuffed animals.

It takes a fair amount of training, because what llamas mostly seem to really, really want to do is eat hay and make poop.

regards,
Leon

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
So to answer your original question I guess with all those llamas and horses eating all that hay there was a lot of $#!+ happening in Oklahoma City. \:o Sorry I just couldn't help it.

Major Contributor
Major Contributor
 Originally Posted By: Leon
It's an obstacle course kind of thing. Three different kinds. One is a generic course with obstacles designed to test the animal's trust of the trainer. It has stuff like bridges, walking over low hurdles, backing up, etc. Another simulates packing. The animal carry a 40 lb pack, and the obstacles include things like backing out of a blind alley, walking across a pile of dead branches, checking feet for thorns, adding and removing items from the pack. Another contest simulates taking the animal out in public, like to an orphanage or retirement home. Obstacles include up and down steps, being petted by strangers, going through doorways, loading and unloading from a trailer, walking through a area full of stuffed animals.

It takes a fair amount of training, because what llamas mostly seem to really, really want to do is eat hay and make poop.

regards,
Leon

Sounds like a run of the mill evening at Beaters mountain retreat except substitute beer for hay. \:\)

'45 Ford PU
66 Valiant wagon, leaning tower of power.
79 Chevy C10 w/250
02 PT Cruiser Convertable
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
...and Desert Big Horn Sheep for llamas!

But we don't put packs on 'em much. They don't call 'em RAMS for nothing. \:D

Last edited by Beater of the Pack; 09/24/12 03:16 PM.

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 192 guests, and 47 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available