Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#72829 12/05/12 12:10 AM
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
I finally got my very own 292. It appears to be a 1970 with breaker point distributor. The crankshaft has 3 dowel pins and 6 tapped holes. (I didn't measure them before mounting to an engine stand but I think they are 1/2".)

I did not get a flywheel with the engine, but I have several from SB and BB Chevys.
Before I drill one of these for the dowels and larger bolts, I have a couple of questions.

Do I borrow a 6 cylinder flywheel and transfer punch the hole locations or do I have to go to a rotary table and mill to locate the new holes?

Since I have a choice, 153 or 168 tooth, aluminum or iron?

My intention was to use a T-5 Transmission,(mostly for the S10 shifter location) but I have a Saginaw 4 Speed and a 3 speed overdrive unit. I could marry these together and have an 8 speed.
(1st, 1st OD, 2nd, 2nd OD, 3rd, 3rd OD, 4th and 4th OD)I don't remember the ratios of this particular Saginaw, but I have enough stuff to make this work.

The car is a 37 Chevy tudor. This engine is going to be stock for now. Later, I will blow the whole car apart and do a frame off, IFS, and of course more power!

What do ya think?

Bruce

Gearhead's Quickchange Exchange
"My Rear End is Louder Than Yours"
H
Contributor
Contributor
H
Six flywheel and transfer punches should work but it is usually better to do it on a high quality drill press or mill. Did mine on a cheap drill press and it seems to work but mine is a drag car. Love them 37 chebbys.

Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Harry,
Thanx for the advice. I was looking at all my stuff and decided to go with the 168 tooth iron flywheel.

I will transfer punch the hle and drill them on my very old but very accurate drill press.

Anybody want to comment on the transmission question?

Bruce

Gearhead's Quickchange Exchange
"My Rear End is Louder Than Yours"

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 368 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony
6,785 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available