Become a Member
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
I’m hoping I can get help and direction for pricing and where to sell a 1954 GMC 302 inline 6 I recently acquired. My grandfather has been working on this motor for a few years but ran into some medical problems recently and needed money to cover bills so I bought this motor to help him out. I’d like to sell and give him more money for his bills. This motor was a vision/dream my grandfather had to build since the days of Bonneville racing – it’s been in the works for many, many years. I’m naïve when it comes to this motor so please be kind :-) This motor has been completely rebuilt, it’s mounted in a 1949 International harvester to a rebuilt 350 transmission with an adapter. Although it’s mounted in the truck and starts, the truck isn’t road worthy, so it’s important to note that although it’s rebuilt with zero miles, it hasn’t been road tested.
Here are things I know about the motor:
I have a $3,700 invoice from the shop that rebuilt the motor
The engine block and head was found in the phoenix area. Has a 302 head on it.
Has Fenton dual exhaust
I believe the intake is Fenton
Brand new 600 CFM edelbrock carb
Pertonix ignition
The cam was reground to stock specs
Valves were replaced with new valves
NOS pistons were used
Bored .030
Valve cover and oil pan are powder coated
New GM alternator
New GM starter
I think that’s all I know – did I miss anything?
If it’s helpful, I can provide video of it starting/running. He put cherry bombs on it, so it sounds quite nice in my opinion :-) All that said, what’s a reasonable price for the motor/tranny combo and where’s the best place to list for sale? Bear in mind I'm not selling the truck with the setup, but will leave it in for people to hear start, but will remove when it's sold. For what it’s worth, I’m in Tucson Arizona. Thanks again for any help you can provide!

Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Any input? Is the 302 a good motor? Am I asking in the wrong forum? Thanks in advance for your help and Happy New Year!

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
The 302 is a great engine and is pretty much the foundation this organization was built on. They are still the "Big Block" of GM inlines suitable for our needs. Price is pretty much based on how badly someone wants one. I have had them given to me and I have paid a couple of hundred for a good builder. I've never purchased a fresh motor. A lot of guys here might like to have one. Just interested in why you are taking it out. It would be fun in that little IH. International also made some vert hot rodable inlines and speed equipment was made for them. Happy New Year!

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
D
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
D
It is not uncommon to price any engine at 80% of the original build costs when it has no mileage on it. In some cases, more than that. But, as Beater says, it ultimately relys on how badly someone may want it. Sites like EBay may give you some ideas on pricing.

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Thank you for your comments. I'm taking it out as it takes up way too much room in the cab of the truck and I'm eating my knee when my foot is on the gas pedal. I've recently debated picking up a 40's or 50's GMC truck where it may fit better.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
It would fit well in those GMs. The GMCs cane with them and the Chevy engine is just 1 1/2" shorter. You can make that up out front by moving the radiator. There seems to be a lot of inline interest on The H.A.M.B. web site lately. Someone there might want your 302. Heck I'd like it but I already have 2 sitting in the way. I hope to build one next winter to replace the 270 in my pickup. I see your point if you can not enjoy driving them why bother?

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
What do you think would be a reasonable asking price if I were to list it on the H.A.M.B.?

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
This block and head will never sell for that much maybe 4-5 hundred. The 302 runner is too much too I think. However I'm cheap. If that one sells for $2000 yours is worth at least $3000+. I guess I'm just out of it for pricing. I have passed up free 270s, 292s,250s and 235s because I am too lazy to go get them.

302/270 head

Block & Head

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I think that you first have to find an audience appreciative of what you have, and I don't think the H.A.M.B is where you'll find it. I'd contact Patrick's, there pretty close to you and might be a potential buyer or know someone who is.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
D
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
D
 Originally Posted By: CNC-Dude #5585
I think that you first have to find an audience appreciative of what you have, and I don't think the H.A.M.B is where you'll find it. I'd contact Patrick's, there pretty close to you and might be a potential buyer or know someone who is.

That is an excellent idea. In case you are not familiar with Patrick's, here is his web site. Patrick Dykes is an original Inliner and will not steer you wrong.

http://patricksantiquecars.com/

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Don't under estimate the HAMB there are serious Inliners there. You just have to search out their threads and groups. It's easier to do searches there. I never go to the main board anymore. It's too busy. There are guys there who race GMCs on the dry lakes and at the drags. Some of them seem to have a lot of money for their projects. A lot of BS too but it's hot rods. Stovebolt site might be a place as well.

Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
I'll definitely have to give Patrick's a call - he's right in my back yard. Thank you.

G
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
G
Where are you from and what shop did the engine work? And do you have a price yet?

Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
I'm in Tucson. I spoke with Patrick's and apparently he knows the motor well and worked with my Grandfather on the build, it would have been good if ole Grandpa gave me that piece of info ;\) . I'm going to ask $4k for the motor, adapter, and 350 tranny but haven't listed it for sale yet.

Active BB Member
Active BB Member

I think $4,000 for a turn key 302 with the adapter & rebuilt trans is a good deal. But it is as the others have said, got to find the one person that looking for your combination.

The HAMB has a real good classified section, I have sold lots of 6 cylinder & V8 parts on the site. Also RRR (Rat Rods Rule) site has a lot of Chevy & GMC 6 cylinder builders, check them out.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available