Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
J
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
J
I'm having a tough time getting the Mercruiser valve cover to fit on my 250. Seems it was abused in its past storage life, and got squeezed. I can only get one side of the bolts started, the other side is off by half the bolt diameter. I built a spreader out of a bolt almost the width of the valve cover, backed the nut off, and got the proper distance, but when i took it out the cover sprang back to its "squeezed" self. I don't want to mess up the threads in the block by prying with a tool. What do I do?
Also, there is a stud inside the cover about the depth of the cover, it matches up to a raised flat spot on the head. And another place in the cover that would accept a stud, but the stud ian't there, just the threaded hole. Am I missing a stud, and what is their purpose? It's been suggested to me that maybe they were for support if you had to step on the valve cover to do this or that to the engine in the boat. Beats me. Any suggestions? I've got a good picture of the valve cover upside down whoch shows this stud, but can't figure out how to get it onto this post.

B
Contributor
Contributor
B
SOUNDS TO ME LIKE THE COVER MIGHT HAVE BEEN HOT LIKE IN OR NEAR A FIRE AND SHRUNK, COMMON IN BOATS. I WOULD TAKE SOME LONG WOOD AND WEDGES AND VERY GENTLY APPLY A SPREADER MOTION COMPLETELY ALONG THE INSIDE OF THE COVER, ONT GO FAST AS IT WILL CRACK ALSO CHECK TO SEE IF ITS WARPED........

I BELIEVE IN " JOHN 3:16 "
J
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
J
i was thinking of putting studs where the bolts go, about an inch or so longer than the bolts. then maybe i can get the cover started on all studs and drive it home. what will happen to the threads, and if i can get a nut started, there'll be about 7/8" of stud showing. i gotta find some brackets for a wire hugging the cover, maybe that could be of these studs? just tossing some ideas out here.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (CrabFoam), 247 guests, and 40 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20
6,787 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available