Print Thread
Rate Thread
#74043 02/16/13 04:36 PM
O
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
O
I would like some guidance in the search for a hard to find part.

For those that have looked for Pontiac OHC parts is can tough to find good OE parts for these motors. One of the most difficult is the harmonic balancer from a year specific Sprint. The HB is 8 11/16" wide and a double grove.

Does anyone know if there is an alternative to this part? Possible something that can be machined to work or a company that makes something close?

All replies are appreciated.

C
Contributor
Contributor
C
How close to is the Pontiac OHC balancer to the Chevy 250? New high performance Chevy balancers are now available. See this previous thread:

https://www.inliners.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=71900#Post71900

B
Contributor
Contributor
B
YOU CAN GET YOUR STOCK BALANCER REBUILLT.

I BELIEVE IN " JOHN 3:16 "
S
Contributor
Contributor
S
 Originally Posted By: Casual 6
How close to is the Pontiac OHC balancer to the Chevy 250? New high performance Chevy balancers are now available. See this previous thread:

https://www.inliners.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=71900#Post71900

From what I understand from my conversations with Walt Pearce, they only made about 10 balancers and all had to be pre ordered. I don't think there are any more available at this time. I am still waiting on mine from Walt. Apparently there was a problem with the prototype and had to be re worked a little. Hopefully mine will come this week. Its only been about 4 months since he got my 4 bills geesch!

B
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
B
You might try this guy: http://www.damperdoctor.com/

I had good luck with him.

B
Contributor
Contributor
B
DAMPERDOCTOR IS WHO I,VE USED FOR YEARS

I BELIEVE IN " JOHN 3:16 "
O
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
O
I do not need the one I have rebuilt as it works fine. have another OHC that I am looking at converting to a Sprint 4bbl. The Chevy HB is remarkably close to the 1bbl HB for the Pontiac 1bbl motor. I have a OHC 1bbl HB and it is 6.75" wide double groove. They sell for $55.

The Sprint HB is 8 and 11/16" wide and double groove and very hard to find. So was it 10 HB's that it took to get them to make them? I might be able to send them mine to get them to reproduce them?

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
The bad news is, they will cost over $400 bucks each, how many guys are building these OHC engines anymore, how many are going to spend that much just for a balancer?

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
O
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
O
 Originally Posted By: CNC-Dude #5585
The bad news is, they will cost over $400 bucks each, how many guys are building these OHC engines anymore, how many are going to spend that much just for a balancer?

At the moment I know of at least five that post aoiut building Sprints including me. Yeah $400 is a lot BUT some of them are paying $200 for a simple "Y" pipe fr the exhaust which seems silly to me.

The HB seems to be the key missing part. Clifford makes the intake and headers, there are an abundance of 1bbl 67 heads and "E" cams to make a hot 4bbl motor that ill wind up to 6500k. EGGE has an entire line of Master/deluxe kits for the motors as well.

It doesn't take much to build a smoking OHC as you just have to know the right people and places.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 336 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony
6,785 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available