Rate Thread
#74118 02/21/13 02:07 PM
C
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
C
Hi,
Just wondering if you really need to stand a 6 cyl crank on end or just laying it on its side is ok.

Pete
64 Chevelle
61 C30 Panel truck
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Yes, you need to stand it on end, it can warp under its own weight if you lay it on its side.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I think it may be an urban myth, possibly based on somebodies experience of laying down a welded up crank and then retreiving it some time later only to find it was "bent".

I say this because I welded on a cast iron head and it warped .230". I laid it on a shelf and ten years later looked at it and all the warpage had disappeared. Had I not seen that I would have never believed it possible.

A welded crank may have behaved the same way, lending credence to the theorey.

If somebody with another experience to show it DOES cause the crank to bend I'm willing to be educated.

As a point of fact I now store my cranks vertically, hanging by the snout bolt. This takes up much less floor space. Another benefit may be that corrosive particles in the air are less likely to cover the tops of the journals, promoting rusting.

FORD 300 inline six - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING!
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
The softer steel OEM cranks are the worst offenders of this, we had to be very careful about long term storage of them. Billet and cast cranks not so much, go figure that a cast crank was more stable than the factory steel cranks. We had crank racks to store them vertically also. I guess the best course of action is to not assume they won't warp and stand them upright anyway.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
My question would be:

If stored by their snout hanging or flange down on floor. Wouldn't they also lose shape from gravity pulling them apart or compressing them? Like stretching or pulling a spring.

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
No, there not that unstable.

C
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
C
Good points.
I had checked the archives and didn't see anything so went to the google and the opinions were all over the place on this.
The counterweights don't really allow laying down nicely so I think I'll go with the vertical storage. Sounds neater and a bit safer.
Just got a couple cranks in a package deal so I have some loose parts to deal with.
Thanks

Pete
64 Chevelle
61 C30 Panel truck
1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
 Originally Posted By: CNC-Dude #5585
Yes, you need to stand it on end, it can warp under its own weight if you lay it on its side.

If the crank's "own weight" is what is at work here then perhaps an Einstein style thought exercise will help us to visualize:

[Linked Image from 49fastback.com]
T
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
T
For whatever it's worth,I've been in many machine shops and the cranks are standing on the flywheel flange.This is usually just a short time....Some say a block left on an engine stand will "sag " over time,or a cam leaning against a wall will warp.

70 Triumph 650 cc ECTA current record holder
Contributor
Contributor
I too have seen machine shops store them short term standing on end. That's what I do too, short term. But for any longer time period I lay them on their side, and if there are not enough load bearing contact points, I use whatever I have laying around to create more. Just put something under the crank to dissipate the load more evenly across several points. Standing on end creates a risk of knocking the whole thing down by accident and ruining it that way.

REALLY long term storage would justify making a cradle out of wood to hold it at each main bearing journal. Or if you have the opportunity, leave it sitting in the engine block on some old bearings.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (41 Coupe), 334 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony
6,785 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available