Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
Hi everyone,

I have a 1979 Chevy C10 with a I6 250. I do not know the history of this vehicle because it was scrapped and I rescued it. I know that it runs but I haven't driven it yet because of a transmission problem. It doesn't seem to smoke or anything. I've replaced the starter, the radiator, the water pump, the fan belt, and the hoses. I also rebuilt the carburetor.

I needed to pull the head off the motor to fix some broken exhaust manifold bolts. Since I have the head off I thought maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to install new valve stem seals because it's so easy to do with the head off. My head is a integral intake (2bbl) head if it matters; I'm wondering what would be the best valve stem seals I should use that would not require machine work? If you have a specific part number or picture of what is preferred that would be great - I like to get my parts from my local NAPA.

Also, should I take any time and replace any other parts with the head off (besides head gasket :-)?

I'm sure I learned about valve lapping in high school auto shop class but is it something that is of benefit in a case like this?

Would it be normal to replace keepers, retainers, or rotators when having the head off? Besides looking for cracks, what are some obvious things I should be looking for?

My goal is to get the truck back on the road and drive it daily during the spring/summer/fall here in Michigan. I have a FWD for the winter and I don't want to expose the truck to Michigan salted roads. Anyone have an idea what MPG I should expect? Can I get over 15mpg with a truck like this? I have the VaraJet carb. The truck will be converted to a Turbo 400, it currently is a 3 speed manual but I have back problems so that has to go.

Thanks,

Dan

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Since you have the integral head, you better plan on tearing it down and having it magnafluxed before you do much else to it, their notorious for being cracked. Might want to scout out a non-integral head as a backup.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
B
Contributor
Contributor
B
FOR SURE DO THIS FIRST TING
"Since you have the integral head, you better plan on tearing it down and having it magnafluxed before you do much else to it, their notorious for being cracked. Might want to scout out a non-integral head as a backup. "
ALSO DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND LET A MACHINE SHOP DO THE HEAD FOR YOU........

I BELIEVE IN " JOHN 3:16 "
S
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
Napa has this one listed for the 250:

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=SEPST2092_0194527790

Does anyone have any thoughts on these or any others?

Dan

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 161 guests, and 42 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available