Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
Hello Friends,
I am in a quandry about what engine mount configuration to use in my '37 Oldsmobile. Currently it has a 235 Chevy Six (62 vintage) and a Chevy 3-Speed Trans. I am working on installing a T5 Trans instead, and I would like to improve the engine mounting at the same time.
Currently it uses a stock Center-Front Mount in conjunction with two on the lower corners of the Bellhousing. It also has a mount tied to a crossmember under the transmission. This setup does not adequately control engine rock or tilt under load.
I have some aftermarket frame mounts that bolt to the sides of the engine block about a third of the way back on the engine. I would like to use these to replace the front mount, but I'm concerned about the rear.
It seems to me that the engine would be over-restrained if I continued to use the Bellhousing Mounts and the Transmission Mount along with the two new front mounts, but it seems to be too big a span to just use the front two mounts in conjunction with a Transmission Mount, especially since the T5 has an Aluminum Case.
Would it be OK to leave the Transmission Mount off and just use the two front and two Bellhousing mounts, or would a different configuration be better?
Thanks in advance for your advice,
Glen in Gresham

Contributor
Contributor
I'm running a 261 in my truck with the front (under the balancer) motor mount and two NEW bellhousing mounts plus a transmission mount at the crossmember under the rear of my T-5. I have no problems at all. How old are the mounts at your bellhousing? They may be older than you think. As it turned out, mine were the ORIGINAL mounts and the new ones I installed made a all the difference in the world. I used a T-5 mount and adapted it to the crossmember that hit right on the spot under the T-5. I has made a very nice package.

Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
Thanks very much for your input! I will follow up on your suggestion and look more closely at the motor mounts.

C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C
I had the same situation, I ran the older front mount that came in the 50 and a fabricated rear trans mount. Over time the bell housing cracked up the center. I am currently in the process of restoring my 1950 Fleetline and doing the T5 upgrade. I will use 55-59 chevy passenger car front side mounts that bolt in by the generator bracket and fuel pump.( i have a 57 block no center mount holes) I plan on using a 55-57 car bell housing also and those mounts too. i have already made a removable rear mount for the trans. Mine was tied down solid as it raced more than cruised and keep tearing up mounts and other things.

Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
To cbmkr: Thanks for your input!

So, for your new setup are you going to eliminate the Trans Mount and just go with the four engine mounts?

Thanks,
Glen

C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C
No ,There will be a total of 5, Trans mount will stay, And also use the bell housing mounts as the engine mounts are far forward. I built a removable trans mount that bolt to the K member.

I have owned this car for 40 years last engine trans rear end combo was , full race 60 over 235,Lots of mods, muncie close ratio M22 rock crusher, 3:73 gears in a 57 chevy rear housing and springs.

It has been parked since 1979 currently under restoration still runs as it did.

M
Contributor
Contributor
M
What kindnof mods did you do to the 235?

Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
I have not personally done any, but the car came to me with an Electronic Distributer, an Offenhauser 3X1 Intake Manifold, and a Fenton Dual Exhaust Manifold. I am not aware of any internal modifications, but I have not torn it down either.

Thanks for your interest,
Glen

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (41 Coupe, stock49), 349 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB
6,784 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available