Print Thread
Rate Thread
M
mark50 Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
M
Has anyone used, or can you use SBC valve spring retainers on a 235 head? I'm rebuilding my head after machining and last night noticed that several of my valve spring retainers were super thin and worn. I want to try and get this finished over the weekend so I want to try and get some retainers locally.
Has anyone done this or is the 235 retainer a unique size?

1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
Greetings . . .

NAPA still carries these:
Part No SEP VK115R

regards,
stock49

M
mark50 Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
M
Thanks for the reply. I have the valve locks— I believe that's what they're called, but needed the flat, washer like retainer that sits on top of the spring. I found some NOS on eBay so not going the SBC route. Checking the measurements for SBC retainers it seems like they would work?

1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
Curious . . . when you mentioned retainer wear I just assumed wear in the retainer locks. Never seen wear on the retainers themselves . . .

Haven't wrenched on a v-thingie in a long time - memory suggests that those retainers are smaller diameter.

In addition, when inter changing 'seemingly' similar valve components beware that some are built around 3/8 valve stems and others around 11/32 . . . mixing will affect installed spring heights. Mix locks between these diameters and things will break.

regards,
stock49

P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
The stems are both 11/32".
The V8 springs are 1.25" OD, the L6 1.35" OD.

M
mark50 Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
M
Thanks again for all of the input. I went with the NOS set on ebay since they were a reasonable price. I hadn't really seen wear on the retainers before either, but then again I hadn't really been looking. So when I went to reassemble my head, I was about half done when I noticed one was so thin it looked like the edge could break off with a little force. I went back and checked them all and saw that the retaining flange varied a lot. Out of the 12 at least 5 had some noticeable wear.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 358 guests, and 47 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101
6,786 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available