Print Thread
Rate Thread
#74517 03/29/13 08:16 PM
P
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
P
Hello there I am looking for some information on the Wayne 12 port. I will post pics below of what I am looking for history on. I have done a bunch of research on the 302 and it's history as well as the history of the Wayne head. I found this which has lead me to do a ton of research on Mcgurk and his shop in LA which I think this engine must have originated from. Everything I say is coming from assumptions from what I saw but I think this was a race motor at one point then converted into a driver. The engine has the parts as stated though the intake is a 4x2 which I find strange having never seen one before and as it had no markings on it. I am kind of trying to find out exactly what era the head came from, who produced this head, and any history that might be available on the engine. What else I saw on it was Wayne exhaust Mallory dist and unmarked intake. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Quinn.

D
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
D
Have you checked the "Historical" link in the left hand blue column. It contains a lot of 12 Port History. Also try to find the cylinder head number stamped on it. Maybe our 12 Port Historian can help you with that number. Blocking a 4 port intake manifold on a street engine is common for economy and enough power for the street. McGurk may have forged that manifold too.

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter
P
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
P
Yes I have read the 12 port story multiple times. I didnt catch that when I was able to view it and I dont believe I will be able to view it againg for quite some time as its not mine. Interesting thought on it being cast by him. There were no visible stampings on it that I saw there for I was unsure as to its maker.

P
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
P
Not sure if it matters but the head and intake number from the engine (original head) date it as a early 50s 302). I got the original head and Mcgurk intake 2x1 that had supposedly run on the engine at some point. I would be really interested in finding out any history on Mcgurk or anything more on Wayne if possible.

J
Contributor
Contributor
J
In the late 70's I was at Isky's shop which had already moved from Inglewood to Gardena looking for a flywheel from the person (I wish I could remember his name) who worked the Frank McGurk section of the shop. I purchased an aluminum flywheel, 3 or 4 manifolds, all of the Thomas Magnesium rockers, and a bunch of other McGurk marked stuff. Isky never caught us back there (we were lucky) I really wanted a rocker cover and side plate but there were none available. Later I found later that area was closed. Isky never threw anything away but I doubt if much is left.

As for the manifolds I only knew of an injector or the 4-2 manifold for the Wayne GMC but others were probably made. The Wayne injector fit the Howard but nothing else. I also seen 1 Howard 4 or 5-2 manifold which could have been made for the Wayne molds by making new 45 degree sides; I don't know.

It's funny the engine did not have a Wayne cover but a McGurk for a stock head...........Good Luck in your search....

216.158 MPH 12-Port 302 GMC on 70% 171.0 MPH 302 stock head on gasoline 7 years later
P
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
P
Does the engine having a McGurk valve cover on it give any clues as to which run of heads it came from?

G
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
G
The early Wayne GMC heads were initially offered for sale in late 1951. Those heads were cast iron and approximately a dozen of those heads were produced. Harry Warner then shifted to casting the heads in aluminum. Since the Wayne GMC heads utilized the stock GMC rocker arm assembly any valve cover (stock tin, McGurk, Nicson, etc) could be bolted on. Wayne GMC heads did not have a name on the casting and to the best of my knowledge they were not serialized. In the early Wayne catalogs they show only the fuel injection manifold and the four carb (stromberg base) manifold. The four carb manifold does not have a name on the casting. The fuel injection was made by Hilborn and has a serial number stamped on the bottom side of the casting. I have a copy of the Hilborn records showing when each of the injection packages were sold and who the purchaser was. In my collection I have an original Wayne GMC valve cover, the four carb intake with Stromberg 97s, and the fuel injection manifold. The Wayne GMC patterns still exist and are owned by the Ferguson family.

P
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
P
Hmm thank you that is some very solid information. Judging by everything I am going to say the it was a little later then the first castings like somewhere late 50's. It is interesting that this is equiped with holley 94's rather then stromberg 97's as I would think would have been in style at the time. I am really hoping I can acquire the vehicle that the engine is in as it is a very cool piece of history though I am not sure if that's ever going to happen.

J
Contributor
Contributor
J
It does not suprise me that it has 94's on it. It appears to be a street car. I think there is a PCV valve (old style you could take apart and clean) in the line from the valve cover to the intake manifold. Also having 2 carbs and not 4 says the same thing. I remember rebuilt 94's for sale at a parts store in Inglewood for $3 apiece no exchange in 1961. We used then for our street stuff.(of course we didn't have any money back then making a buck an hour). Looks like that front plate went on after leaky carb was up there at some time.....Good Luck

216.158 MPH 12-Port 302 GMC on 70% 171.0 MPH 302 stock head on gasoline 7 years later
P
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
P
I had not previously noticed the PCV valve although that is interesting. Just out of curiosity what would you inliners think would be a fair price to offer for a engine as such? were it to be in running condition or at least supposedly running?

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I think it would be better for you to have them throw a price out there first, that way you don't risk offending them with an offer that they might view as a lowball one, plus it lets you know where they are thinking the value is so to speak. They might offend you with their price also....

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
P
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
P
Hmm ok well currently its in the position of not for sale. Whats not for sale is the truck although and the engine is not as important to the owner so I was kind of interested in what I might offer for the engine its self in hopes that they might part with it

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I guess it all depends on how savvy the owner is as to the value of what he has. I've seen several of the Wayne GMC heads by themselves sell for over $5K.....Of course you don't want to tip your hand and pay more than you have to either, offering too much can make them think they really have something of value if they don't already know it. Also, why would they value the truck more than the engine, its not hard to find nice old trucks compared to these pretty rare pieces. Maybe I just answered my own question and he has no clue what he has, offer him a grand and see if he takes it.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
P
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
P
Owner has no savy what so ever and unfortunately thanks to that it is kind of rotting away but the vehicle it is in holds sentimental value. They were talking about taking it out and scraping the engine to buy a 350 to put in so I did offer on it but they just took my number. I was wanting to find out history and information on it before I went out and made a offer of real money on it.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I hate that whole price thing. If someone wants to sell something they know what they want and if I want to buy something I know what I'll pay. If someone wants what is too much for me I walk away. If it's what I'll pay I buy it. Mostly I trade beer. \:D I'd offer $1,000 maybe $1,250. I can not afford this kind of stuff and I doubt if I could make it run to it's potential anyway. A well built stock head could out run that one with two carbs so it just a "wow factor" . A race head belongs on a race car. But remember I build and drive junk. \:\( I'd like to have it though. OK, I went back and looked at the pictures. I'd go $2,500 petty quick.

Last edited by Beater of the Pack; 04/09/13 10:38 PM.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 492 guests, and 36 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony
6,785 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available